Tough questions for next year

For that to happen Dane would have to make a conscious effort to turn down likely multiple contracts before free agency opens.

That would mean he absolutely wants to leave Hamilton.

I don’t see it.

And even if that was the case, Masoli would have to do the same thing.

I’d be willing to bet any amount of money at least one of those two will be back.

1 Like

I agree one of them will come back. We may have a new coach and GM so who knows what their plan may be when it comes to QB

The one thing that the one year contracts is doing is showing the veterans that the grass isn’t always greener.

Let’s hope in the next CBA they get rid of these 1 year contracts

1 thing that I would like to point out.

Even if Brandon Banks does retire worse case. In 9 years with Ticats not including 2020 so 2010-2021 in 111gp he put up 422 rec, 5678 Yards 44 TD 13.5 Per 78 Long and then for Punt Return 298 Returns 3,049 Yards 10.2 Avg 97 Long and then 7 TD. I know it sucks we couldnt get him a ring but Man the Guy did all of this as a 5'7 150lb Bloody Rec man.. I could not be any prouder of him

10 Likes

One of the greatest Ticats of all time

4 Likes

Or bring in partial guarantees. You’re paying anyways.

2 Likes

There is one year contracts because team front offices routinely cut players before a bonus is due to be paid that was written in as an incentive to sign long multi year contracts. …SO. Why would any agent tell a player a multi year contract is a good thing

I wish they could prevent teams from dumping players before roster bonuses.

3 Likes

Never. Either the team gets a discount or they’ll just release the player if they deem it too much.

Here is an idea for the whole contract aspect.. You can offer multiple year contracts however only the salary per year counts forwards your cap kind of like the NHL works. However Team who sign players have until a certian week say week 9 half of season anything after that contract is a garentee contract anyone before that you can release and now owe them any money. If you cut before Week 9 you owe them money a @ protated amount and it counts towards the cap make it interesting on coaches deciding who makes the team and who doesnt at camp

I think we'll be fine for Canadian starters. Maybe even go three on defense with Katsantonis, Adeleke and Bennett if both Laurent and CVZ retire.

1 Like

Both Toronto and Montreal will keep improving, and with Pinball running things,no
FA is safe. We must be more aggresive this time and pick up a play maker. Some one
fast with good hands to take Speedys place.

2 Likes

Lucky Whitehead is a free agent.

Dont forget he only became a reciever half way through his career. I really wanted him and our other vets to get a ring, those guys have heart and gave it their all over the years.

I think injuries have caught up with speedy, and age. I think he can still be a game breaker if plays a reduced role, if he’s willing to sit some games and we utilize him in key ones, keep him healthy and fresh. He’d have to take a pay cut though so we can bring in other recivers.

1 Like

I think banks will be traded to a team that will garantee him atleast 7 catches a game. I think he was sick of this new plan where they dont throw him the ball

maybe bc

teams should own apt buildg and then let players stay there as part of their compensation - the feds to help pay as real estate has very diff prices in vanc or tor vs regina or winnipeg
the bldg could never be sold unless its to buy another bldg and w/ approval of feds

1 Like

100% agree. I would also say that they should expand their real estate portfolio whenever possible because they could charge non-cfl personnel the full rate. The league has been around since the 50s, they should have it figured out by now. Some teams are over a hundred years old. One 3 bedroom place in Vancouver area could easily get you 24 k per year minimum. Imagine if they had 50 of them

Like Bralon Addison? Honestly I like our receivers for next year even without Speedy. Addison, White, Dunbar, Acklin (is he a free agent?). I think they could use an upgrade at Canadian receiver, maybe a bigger body who can play inside