Touchdown Atlantic cancelled

League reaffirms commitment to Atlantic Canada

Release

Toronto, Ontario – (April 9, 2006) - In a statement issued today, the Canadian Football League (CFL) announced that the 2006 edition of the Touchdown Atlantic Game, scheduled for June 3, 2006 in Halifax, Nova Scotia will not proceed. The game featured the Montreal Alouettes versus the Ottawa Renegades as the home team. This announcement follows the decision that the League will not operate the Ottawa Renegades for the 2006 season.

In making the announcement Commissioner Wright said, “Touchdown Atlantic established itself in 2005 as an important and successful initiative in building the CFL brand in Atlantic Canada. The region embraced our game in record numbers both at Huskies Stadium and through the broadcast on TSN. Our decision not to operate the Renegades this year was a difficult one for this League but the right one as we move to secure new and capable ownership in that market. Regrettably, the timing of this decision did not allow for the scheduling of a replacement game.�

“While we are very disappointed not to be hosting a game this year we continue to be very supportive of the CFL,� said Scott Ferguson, Executive Vice President, Trade Centre Limited. “Commissioner Wright showed great foresight in bringing Touchdown Atlantic to Halifax in 2005 and we look forward to the opportunity to once again present Canada’s game with another sell-out event in 2007.�

The CFL expressed its deep appreciation for the work of Trade Centre Limited and the many volunteers that had begun preparations for Touchdown Atlantic 2. The Commissioner noted, “Our partners in Halifax have been extraordinary in their commitment to this project. We cannot thank them enough. The situation we face is a temporary one that does not dampen our enthusiasm for building our presence in Atlantic Canada. We will be back.�

Refunds for tickets already purchased for this event will be available beginning Tuesday, April 11th at the Halifax Metro Centre.

I'm not sure why they had to cancel this. Why couldn't The bombers have made the trek? or if not them reschedule it to be TO vs Mtl or something.

Its too bad

....This one is a hard one to swallow....the league could have made another attempt to showcase the CFL. in the Atlantic region...but I think under the current circumstances it would look weak....... a lot of understanding will be the order of the day...hopefully...Expansion is not dead... :!:

Just the beginning of the fallout and possible domino effect.

Maybe the Als' versus an NFL team? Maybe an all star team versus the Al's. anything but don't cancel it.

Just when I thought I couldn't hear any worse news (after hearing about the suspension of the Renegades) ... this comes out. Dammit. Negative repercussions already ... this better not set a precedent ... Just when everything was going right for the League, too.

In hindsight, this shouldn't be a surprise. With the suspension of Ottawa, we all knew Winnipeg was moving to the east division. Unfortunately, Winnipeg is the team least able to afford giving up a home gate, even a preseason gate, for Halifax.

At first on the TSN site it said the Bombers would replace the Gades in TDA, then they changed it saying its cancelled. That made it even more disapointing to me.

I don’t know what to say I am shocked they cancelled it I was looking forward to seeing the CFL game for the first time. I just don’t know what to say now.

I agree, Why couldn't another team have gone to Halifax. Teams have to make adjustsments with only one weeks notice at playoff time.So, what would be the issue with getting another team in place of the Gades.

I always thought that it would make more sence having a Grey Cup rematch as a TDA game anyway.

I think the problem was that Ottawa was the home team for this game. Any team that took their place would have to give up their home pre-season game, and maybe none were willing to do it.

Exactly Big Dave....Especially since only 2000 Season tickets were sold in Ottawa.

Never thought of that