Touchdown Atlantic 2022 and Halifax Expansion/Relocation

So I will be there for the big game.

1. Stay in Halifax or somewhere else?
  2. Where will the festivities be held?
  3. Must sees?

I plan on being there roughly 10 days

2 Likes

Why can’t the potential CFL ownership group and the HFX soccer team build a stadium there is already a crappy kinda temp one called wanderer ground it holds 6200 fans

Just expand it

Nova Scotia’s beautiful and Halifax is a great city especially in the summertime. Lots of good bars and pubs and great waterfront with street performers and tons of restaurants. Not really sure what they have planned around the game. Wolfville is supposed to be a nice town but isn’t very big. You could split time between there and Halifax for a few days - Lunenburg and Peggy’s Cove are short day trips from Halifax if you want to be touristy.

If you like scenery the Cabot trail drive around Cape Breton is spectacular. Baddeck is near the start of the Cabot Trail and has an Alexander Graham Bell museum which I thought was really cool. Depending on how ambitious you are or what you want to do maybe even take in a bit of PEI and/ or Hopewell Rocks in Moncton, NB.

We went out as a family in 2016 and did about all of that in 10 days, but it was pretty non- stop. Maritimes are a great place to chill and relax too and you won’t find friendlier people on the planet. Enjoy it and just make sure Riders beat the Argos😉

1 Like

The Wanderers aren’t interested in a joint venture with a CFL team. They are just as bad as TFC fans that didn’t want to share BMO Field citing gridiron football would damage the grass. They wanted the Argos to play in old rundown small facility like Lamport Stadium

1 Like

Wanderers will have to relocate anyway. The city and the residents of the downtown core don’t want them there. This was always a TEMPORARY arrangement.

2 Likes

The Wanderers don’t have deep pockets, so where are they going to move to?

What city doesn’t want an attraction for the downtown core for local small businesses to draw from?

“Temporary”!!! That is what they said about the original Schooner Stadium

1 Like

If the city doesn’t want them there anymore, the Wanders could always sell to SSE or a group willing to work with them on the stadium.

Getting the CPL team in the project and having more use can justify the use of public funds better

1 Like

SSE can’t buy the Wanderers because they need every penny to finance their stadium. It would be financially better that the Wanderers rent the stadium from SSE group than owning them

2 Likes

This just goes to illustrate the close mindedness of some of these organizations. The city can benefit from a stadium and these two organizations can get together and share space. There is a solution to be had. A nice 20 000 seater for all. Alas they won’t get together and there will probably never be a Halifax based CFL team.

1 Like

IIRC, the problem is the land where the Wanderers ground is now. That land is earmarked for something else down the road, like part of a hospital or something.

I think the city does want the Wanderers and the Wanderers wants to stay. I think if a stadium for SSE ever does get built, it’s likely the Wanderers would be tenants there too.

This article makes it sound like the grounds could be their permament home:

2 Likes

Why can’t the Kenneth Rowe, Irving, McLains or the Sobey get behind the Halifax bid by purchasing a stake in the team and commit to financing the stadium? It’s a win-win for them

2 Likes

Or even the so-called Bank of Nova Scotia.

1 Like

There’s nothing stopping them from trying. A better question is probably why can’t the CFL covince those folks to pursue it?

1 Like

I would say,
That is exactly what this TD Atlantic In Nova Scotia is all about
or
It would have been in Moncton again.

2 Likes

They took over pretty much the entire space of the most used common area in downtown Halifax and the space is being re-arranged. It would be like them setting up shop in the picnic area of Stanley Park in Vancouver for free and saying this is ours now… This was a one season arrangement, they got leniency because of COVID (biiger fish to fry) but I’m pretty certain they have been told this season will be it.

Wanderers think because they have a small following that they can stay in the Halifax Commons… Won’t happen. I’m surprised the city extended them. Probably got votes from the councilors who oppose a stadium :slight_smile:

1 Like

These companies are focus on Vertical business streams. They have never been interested in sports teams. They will sponsor them, they will participate in naming rights but they won’t own sports team. This ain’t their focus.

Considering the time you have waited and hoped for a Maritime team you sound pretty reasonable to me. It would be interesting and maybe frustrsting to know how many potential ticket buyers have passed on since the new franchise was first proposed.

1 Like

Irvings own the Moncton Wildcats (since 1996). McCains own the Saint John Seadogs (since 2005).

3 Likes

Also if you are into making money why would you want to own a CFL Team? Or have partial ownership? Maybe bleed a few million dollars over the next ten years - of the 9 CFL teams which ones are cash cows? Maybe Hamilton and a couple on the Prairie? We always wonder why no one steps forward - it is because in a good year if you own a CFL team it bleeds cash slowly - on a bad year it is a financial red ink blood bath - rich people didn’t get rich by sinking their money into assets that bleed cash -

2 Likes