Toronto will be getting an NFL team

ha ha ha I thought about that as well, but that would have been easy of a shot. I wanted to stick with football. Thanks jm. For petes sake, you people live in the same province, stick together.

Actually, Kman, I believe I live in your province. . .

hey man, where bout ?

Well, assuming you're in good ol' Sask, then look for me in the Gateway to the North.

Im pretty sure I speak for the rest of the west coast when I say that there is NO WAY IN HELL we are jealous of Toronto…keep on dreaming, Ive live in Toronto(downtown) alot of times and it can never be compare to the beauty of Vancouver :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

And Toronto joining the NFL?..Go ahead, NFL is BORING compare to the CFL…

I can't believe I am replying to this idiocy! I agree with all who say it ain't gonna happen! Do you think the US gov't (Congress) are going to sit idly by and watch them place a franchise outside the USA when they have dozens of cities in continental USA that want a team?? I believe the Congress is pretty soft on the NFL and anti-trust rules etc. but wouldn't be if they went outside the USA. Los Angeles doesn't have a team any more and how big a market is that?

Check this article out on LA not having a team:

[url=http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/mike_mcallister/05/23/expansion.cities/1.html]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/w ... ies/1.html[/url]

NFL

Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
POLL
Should the NFL put a team in Los Angeles?
Yes 51%
No 49%

Bigfoot. Loch Ness Monster. Paris Hilton's continued popularity. Meet the unexplained mysteries of life.

Add to that list a certain city in Southern California not having an NFL team.

Of course, there are some shades of explanation (see Davis, Al and Frontiere, Georgia). But really, there is no logic for the second biggest TV market in the U.S. not fielding a team from the country's most popular TV sports league. That's why only one city deserves the NFL's next expansion team ...

Los Angeles.

WHY LOS ANGELES? Because the timing couldn't be better. The Lakers, the city's favorite team, is in shambles. The Angels, no matter how many ways they add L.A. to their name, will never be the city's favored baseball team -- but the Dodgers haven't been to the World Series since 1988. And the NHL? Sorry, Wayne Gretzky's long gone.

Meanwhile, if NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue doesn't bring a team to L.A. before he hands over the reigns, it will be the darkest spot on an otherwise stellar resume. He has tried and failed in 1999, victimized by nasty politics in L.A. while attempting to develop a feasible stadium and ownership plan (the NFL eventually made the option pitch to Houston). But if he can get it done in an environment of mostly negative forces, then his mover-and-shaker status will be cemented.

At some point, the league will return to L.A. Sheer logic dictates it. Cooler political heads will prevail, stadium issues will be resolved and enough luxury boxes will be built to house all the celebrities who'll clamor for expensive digs.

Now if Tagliabue can just find a way to prevent Ms. Hilton from appearing on TV again ...

Other cities worth considering: San Antonio, Memphis, Portland.

agreed makes no sense.

Never going to happen for the No Fun League. First, the NFL needs the CFL even in what little way they perceive us to be because of the anti trust laws in the US. Second and even though I live near the "Centre of the Universe" and despite the over the board nauseating too much NFL coverage, the last two pre season games drew peanuts at the Skydump. All kinds of tickets were given away and they still could not paper the house towards filling same. Wnen adding the potential franchise fee of 1B and the small size of Skydump, there are way too many negatives.

What's in it for the NFL if they go to Toronto? What advantage would that possibly serve?

NFL in Canada will never happen.

And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the NFL has taken a look at the Argos attendance numbers and come to the conclusion that Toronto doesn't really care about football that much.

When the Argos were in Van last week, I was amazed they didn't play the American national anthem before the game. I figured since an American city's team was in town, both anthems would be played

On the topic of Paul Godfrey's incoherent ramblings about the NFL and Toronto: Everybody has to understand one thing: Nobody else is encouraging this idea other than Godfrey. He's lost it, he's obsessed with it and he's ready for a rubber room if he thinks anybody is going to come up with the money once the NFL says they are coming to Toronto, which should be the day after the NBA's most pathetic organization, the Toronto Raptors, win the NBA Championship. Godfrey: Shut up. You're tslking with other people's money and making promises for people (Tagliabue) who couldn't give a crap about you or your opinions.

Its more like 23,000 and Toronto is notorious for reporting tickets sold as opposed to attendance

Argofan4life wrote:

He's lost it, he's obsessed with it and he's ready for a rubber room if he thinks anybody...
Yes, I think he has become delusional is this quest, to the point of looking somewhat insane. Have you ever seen him interviewed, he looks a tad, well, cuckooish if you will. It's almost sad really.

One thing for sure, the new owners in Toronto who are local and committed and with Keith Pelley also, are really making a presence for the Argos in Toronto. In fact, they have more seasons tickets now than the Blue Jays I believe. And hey everyone, not everyone in Toronto is interested in being American, there are some great Canadians there. I live in Steeltown, just down the highway, and while we want to beat the Argos every time we play them (and we haven’t won in the last 16 games I think it is, but one day we will!), the true Argo fans are just as good CFL fans as you will find anywhere in this country, believe me, I’ve seen them and they like to have a good time.

I think Paul has a case of incurable hemorrhoids which has cut off blood flow to his brain (which is located just left of his A$$) One of the few Canadian sell outs still alive (but thats T.O. for ya)

Earl: Thank you. The Hamilton-Argo rivalry is great as you say, and I'd hate to not have it. A true love-hate relationship for these teams.
Shadow: "That's T.O. for ya"? No, that's Godfrey for ya. Even people who want the National Felons League in Toronto realize that Godfrey's a loon and it's not going to happen. His rantings have made me cheer against the Blue Jays. As soon as he's no longer with the team, I'll go back to at least hoping they win.

Man, argofan4life, that is exactly how I have felt about the Blue Jays. I don't even want to see them successful because of Godfrey's comments about him being "An NFL guy" and alluding that the CFL is mickey mouse garbage. And this has bothered me because baseball is a good game and I do like it but that man has turned me off the Jays. Great insight man!

Y'all seem to have forgotten one little tidbit about the nutbar they call Paul Godfrey: he's a former Chairman for the old "Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto". Since when have you ever known a politician to be "all there"? What's worse, after he left municipal politics, he went on to be the head guy at The Toronto Sun (so explains how that jack@$$ Steve Simmons got his gig). He's been notorious for being a pompous pr!ck. Why should now be any different?

Godfrey is the ultimate brownnoser.

He's embarrassed to be a Canadian, and it shows.

He couldn't wait to have his Blue Jays change their uniform, making sure they took away the "Blue" in "Blue Jay", and, most of all, the Canadian flag - couldn't have that, now could we?

So it mustn't look like Toronto on the uniform, and, most of all, it mustn't look, you know, too...."Canadian".

Godfrey supported Bush's war in Iraq and denigrated our PM for keeping us out of it.

And now this.....Godfrey is "An NFL guy" - how honourable!

Godfrey, the NFL doesn't even know you exist, so stop thinking you're better than the rest of us, sit down, and shut up, you sickening little sycophant!

Now I'm getting REALLY steamed!

toronto will never have an NFL team....never

Regarding NFL coming to Toronto- Here is a song for Torontonians sung to the tune of “Desparado” by the Eagles!

HEY TORONTO
WHY DON’T YOU COME TO YOUR SENSES
THE NFL BALL IS SMALLER
AFTER ALL!

HEY TORONTO
oH, YOU’RE A HARD ONE
YOU GOT NOT SMART REASONS
FOR CONSIDERING LEAVIN’
THESE YANKS THAT ARE PLEASIN’ YOU
WILL BORE YOU WITH THEIR BALL

NOW IT SEEMS TO ME SOME FINE THINGS
HAVE BEEN LAID UPON YOUR TABLE