Toronto Star's Dave Perkins Tells Us What We Already Knew.

I dont buy that for a second

I've read a few of Argo Bills responses, and its obvious he's just here to stir things up.

Then again too nothing he writes has any basis in fact. Its just his warped opinions.

Hey, wait a second. he could write for the Toronto Star!

You have to live here in the Center of the Universe to realize these scum bucket type writers like Perkins actually do believe what they are writing.
It is not for shock value or to be contravercial, it is all American type "our s..t doesn't smell".

The article is obviously just another April Fool’s joke.

His article can be pretty much summed up as:

"When the Blue Jays came to Toronto, Americans started paying a little bit of attention to us, which meant that we mattered."

As it is, I think American attitudes towards the Blue Jays and Raptors are about the same as Canadian attitudes towards the Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricanes, Anaheim Ducks, Nashville Predators, etc ...

He argues that the NHL is a "niche" league ... what about the CFL?!? No, with it's medium-sized, CANADIAN cities, it's definitely not good enough for Toronto.

:roll:

BTW, the Rogers Centre **** for football games, argos should have built that stadium @ york.

Argos_Bills, the Skydome or Rogers Centre looks far more like a football stadium than a baseball stadium, this thing is as anti-baseball as you can get. With football, anything goes, no need for a retro look like in baseball now where all the new stadiums have this look to them and give that homey baseball feel. The Skydome just is as far away from this as you can get, I hate watching baseball there. Football isn't bad though. Sooner or later the people in Toronto will figure this out and demand a new real baseball stadium or else the Jays are, how you say, toast tee tos, bye, bye.

I don’t think Bill is a CFL fan, so that statement will scarcely offend him.
He is just sitting around waiting for the Bills to relocate to a real city like Los Angeles…
Then when it finally dawns upon him that the NFL isn’t coming to TO anytime soon, he can think long and hard about the comments he just made.

Regarding the article in question, I’m not sure it’s as outlandish as some of you make it sound, but certainly Toronto has always suffered from that split personality of thinking they are the centre of the universe, but feeling inadequate compared to The Big Apple, or The Windy City, or the City of Angels, etc.
Notice how much time he spends talking about the rivalry with the Yankees. I suspect most Yankee fans scarcely know, nor do the care, where TO is. And that my friends, is the difference between a New Yorker, and someone from York (and very much the difference between Canadians and Americans generally) is that constant navel gazing, insecurity, and second guessing and self deprecation ,always searching for our identity that makes us Canadians, versus that confident, even brash, “we can’t tell you what an American is, but by god we are proud to be one” American.
A New Yorker simply accepts the surrounding society, and is pleased, sometimes smug, with himself, while a Torontonian must constantly compare himself to others, seeking approval, and fearing that he is second rate in the eyes of the world.
It is that fear that sneeks through when he talks about being in a league with Regina or Ottawa.
Regina is small town/second rate/inferior so being in the same league with them somehow cheapens the “Toronto image”.
And that fear also rears its head when he refers to hockey as a “niche” sport. He concedes the Leafs are “big league” but only to Torontonians (and Canadians). In reality he sees them as a guilty pleasure. It is a sentiment many in Toronto hold, and something I have talked about on these forums before.

Anyway, as someone who was a huge Expo fan, since their loss, I do not watch baseball at all.
And when I did, I never cheered for the BlueJays.
And as I partially blame them for the demise of the Expos, if it took the Jays to make TO “big league”, then being “big league” can be “bush league”.

Good post Arius!

Speaking about The Star, read the following in an article about Toronto FC:

Let's start treating Major League Soccer as if it's the only league that matters, rather than trying to grow it in the enormous shadow of bigger, better European leagues

Hmmm, do you think any newspaper in this country of ours would say the same thing about the CFL in relation to the NFL? I hardly doubt it.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/199765