TORONTO STAR PATHETIC: NO GAME DAY ARTICLE FOR ARGOS

Well just when you think it cannot get any worse with this rag as without question it has been the worst daily paper in covering the Argos and the CFL for years.
Let’s review, for those outside and who may not be familiar what we have to put up here in the self professed wannabe “world class” US city and interested in everything that is “Major League”.
The long time decent beat writer Rick Matsumoto retired last year and this year a mish mash of reporters have been assigned.
More recently a Morgan Campbell has been given the task.
Well good old Morgan has a report and you guessed it, from Buffalo on how the Western New Yorkers are reacting(zero sold, what a surprise) to their 2000 ticket allotment for the Aug. 14 pre season game.
The Argos game has a small box of highlites marked under “Tonight”.
Oh I am sure they will come up with the usual excuses of summer vacation, plus the Olympics.
It does not wash and pathetic I say.
Meanwhile over at the s
Sun there are two decent articles.

Sad, no wonder I don't buy it, not enough CFL coverage. Sick and a disgrace to the oldest pro football team in NA. Do they realize it just makes the paper look small-time to us CFL fans? They probably don't care. There's no American team in the CFL so it ranks way down there I suppose.

Just sent the sports editor an email saying I couldn't believe there wasn't an article about the game.

Good!

Excellent - maybe they will listen

Even Sportsnet that doesn't show any CFL games has a Canadian Press article about it. I mean, the Argos are Toronto's team, aren't they? :roll:

Good, let us know what he says in reply, if anything! btw, what is his email address?

Will do, it is:

sportsletters@thestar.ca

Good job Earl, I have just sent my email.
Let's see if they respond, but I won't hold my breath.

If there is no coverage in the Star, why even bother to buy the newspaper? You can show your displeasure by getting a paper that does have good CFL coverage. Hit 'em where it hurts the most-- in their bottom line.

I's seriously thinking about cancelling.

Lots of coverage today.

• front page
  • headline
  • huge colour photo
  • the nights attendance on the front page in big bold letters
  • analysis column by Feshuk (even though i think feshuk really sucks)

Pretty good, if u ask me

Lots of coverage today.
  • front page
  • headline
  • huge colour photo
  • the nights attendance on the front page in big bold letters
  • analysis column by Feshuk (even though i think feshuk really ****)

Pretty good, if u ask me

Sure, but we prefer to dwell on the negative here. I bet the Star won't forget to run a preview article on the Bills preseason game in Toronto?

The Star, which is Canada's largest circulation newspaper, has just bought 20% ownership of CTV/Globe & Mail, so they have a vested interest in promoting the NFL as it means dollars in their pockets, as well as their links to MLSE, owners of the Leafs, Raptors ,TFC and Bills in Toronto. The Argos are just a irritating stumbling-block in competition for the hearts and pocketbooks of football fans in S. Ontario...("can't the Argos please just go away, they just don't fit in Toronto, which is a MAJOR LEAGUE city, and the CFL is...well, Canadian!") :roll:

I have no complaints. Front page (S1) has a pic of Dorsey's 94yd punt return along with an article. Page S4 has another pic of Joseph with some more coverage.

As far as negative reporting. It mainly concerns an Argos offense that couldn't put the ball into the endzone. A concern with which we all share. There was another complaint about the field having the base cutouts remaining on the field which I wouldn't think the players would like either.

Overall I liked the coverage. Think I will keep our subscription.

Here is the response I got from the Sports Editor to my email objecting to the poor coverage and specifically yesterday.
It is the typical management nonsense.

"Thanks for the note, though I have to disagree with your ultimate assessment. Yes, today we didn't have more than the the game-day presentation for the Argos. We have covered the team all week and today, with the sudden news of Lief Pettersen's death, Dave Feschuk switched gears and wrote on him rather than the Argos as our best football story. That happens. Dave was still at Argo practice yesterday to make sure we didn't miss any news. In addition, we had coverage of last night's CFL game. Every Thursday we have a preview feature on the CFL games. Every Argo home game has a columnist and a reporter. Every road game is covered. In fact, we cover the Argos on a more consistent basis than we did last year, as I committed this department to do since I felt our CFL coverage was lacking. Chris Zelkovich is the main Argo reporter and the only reason he wasn't on the Argos for all of this week was that he had long-standing commitments outside of work he had to complete. I agree with you that the CFL is worthy of consistent coverage, and it's our goal to make sure that happens. Today might not have been our best example, but I hope it is a rarity.
Thanks again for writing".
Mike Simpson
Sports Editor

Oh sure, some of you have said but look at today, the photo and two articles. Although passable for today, it does not make up to the gross shortfall in not providing regular proper coverage.
The Star here in Toronto sadly remains the worst in CFL/Argos coverage.
We all have to remember the huge TV numbers across Canada and here in Toronto and how the CFL remains the second most popular sport in the country. The coverage is not nowhere close to being commensurate.

Here is the response I got from the Sports Editor to my email objecting to the poor coverage and specifically yesterday.

"Thanks for the note, though I have to disagree with your ultimate assessment. Yes, today we didn't have more than the the game-day presentation for the Argos. We have covered the team all week and today, with the sudden news of Lief Pettersen's death, Dave Feschuk switched gears and wrote on him rather than the Argos as our best football story. That happens. Dave was still at Argo practice yesterday to make sure we didn't miss any news. In addition, we had coverage of last night's CFL game. Every Thursday we have a preview feature on the CFL games. Every Argo home game has a columnist and a reporter. Every road game is covered. In fact, we cover the Argos on a more consistent basis than we did last year, as I committed this department to do since I felt our CFL coverage was lacking. Chris Zelkovich is the main Argo reporter and the only reason he wasn't on the Argos for all of this week was that he had long-standing commitments outside of work he had to complete. I agree with you that the CFL is worthy of consistent coverage, and it's our goal to make sure that happens. Today might not have been our best example, but I hope it is a rarity.
Mike Simpson
Sports Editor

Oh sure, some of you have said but look at today, the photo and two articles. Although passable for today, it does not make up to the gross shortfall in not providing regular proper coverage.
We all have to remember the huge TV numbers across Canada and here in Toronto and how the CFL remains the second most popular sport in the country. The coverage is not nowhere close to being commensurate.

Mike Simpson
Sports Editor

Looks as if your email to the editor made a difference argotom.

Yea i was just recently in Toronto. Its interesting to see a bunch of performance enhancing athletes all over rogers centre and barely a mention of the argos. I wore my BC Lions jersey all over town, and man what was with that sewage smell, and the smog, i forgot abotu that when i lived out that way. Nasty.

I see the signs everywhere for the Bills, i challenge the Bills to play the Argos on CFL rules. The Bills o-linemen would have heart attacks with the 20 second clock and being a yard apart.

NOt that I ever buy the Star, but when I read it on the net, I do notice at least one ARgos article a day. Usually by Chris Zelkovich. But what gets me about the sports sections of Toronto papers is they feel they have to give priority coverage to anything and everything that happens down there. Like the big story in Toronto papers this week was Brent Favre. I don’t know about you, but whats Brent Favre got to do with us? And why would the Toronot media think it has something to do with us? Didn’t know Green Bay was part of Canada.