Toronto Star Article: Ticat-Argo Shared Stadium?

I told you why I won’t take the Go. I did it for years before the Skydome to see the Jays. I know what its like. I have no intention of ever going back on that sardine tin again

The times I've taken he Go, and I've never had to stand, it's been pure joy and bliss compared with driving.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I have taken the go in off hours, not horrible but close. During rush hour or following a game downtown Toronto, NIGHTMARE. I avoid Toronto at all costs even tho my sister lives there. If she wants to see me she needs to leave town and visit me or my parents. I could get there by Go and TTC as the subway runs just 5 blocks from her house. Never done it never will

I know the analogy does not fit – trust me – but go with me here:

Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic agree to build a new shared stadium outside of Glasgow. Would love to see that ribbon-cutting kumbaya…

:D :D :D

I think the sociology behind how the Jets and Giants fans have been able to co-exist in their pilgrimages to the Jimmy Hoffa Memorial Swamp in Jersey has been touched upon. A generation of fans in that megalopolis have gotten used to sharing the same facility because the “New York” identification that families had with their teams when based at the Polo Grounds, Yankee Stadium, and Shea could cross the river into East Rutherford without great upheaval – heck, even a move to New Haven in 1973-74 didn’t cripple the Giants…

The idea that a Ticat team could be based in Oakville, Mississauga, or the like and not suffer a big hit re its existing fanbase is missing the point re existing identifications. Perhaps the fanbase of the team would change/evolve/devolve, but the psyche of Hamiltonians re “their” team would be impacted, IMHO. Blue team fans? My gut is that they wouldn’t feel so displaced because the GTA ends for them, where? Burlington?

Again, this is not a scientific entry, just one based on impressions from growing up in a province where the Toronto media’s idea of covering the nightly provincial news in say – Hamilton – seemed all too often to brush upon the concept of “we couldn’t find any Toronto person killed or maimed on Barton Street today, so now back to our 22-part series on ‘Dr. Spock meets Etobicoke.’” :wink:

I have a Tom Gibney voice droning in that echo. LMAO

Sharing a stadium with your rival in what would amount to a neutral site sounds quaint and all, but I think the gestation of that transition for Tiger-Cat fans would be pretty heavy. I do not have hard facts to verify my impressions of the segment of the fanbase that attends games today. However, most of them probably would still dig this commercial >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK_VAJ90BTA <<< on a similar wavelength as me, someone who frequented IWS during the late 70s and 80s. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Take the Ticats out of a Hamilton homebase (and Burlington would be stretching it IMO) and the rivalry/animus that fuels its raison d’etre would be completely turned on its head. You might find fervent LA Dodger fans in Brooklyn, but I can’t my adjust my mindset to a future Greater Humber Tiger-Cats, even if a Hamilton monicker was still on the marquee. It’s like the whole “Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim” shtick, only having Pigskin Pete conjuring his mantra of magic to a more…latte-positive focus group. LOL

Oski Wee Wee,

One P.S. to my last post: I do understand the logistical issues that Argotom points to re Toronto fans having to trek however westerly to get to a shared stadium somewhere in the Golden Horseshoe. It cuts both ways. I am sure some Hamilton fans would be less inclined to travel to Oakville or so to watch the Cats in the kind of scenario we're looking at here.

Fans of the Cats and the Blue Team often travel from all around Ontario and elsewhere to catch games at their respective home stadia. I get that. I do periodically as well. I'm just stating that there would be a noticeable effect on how Hamiltonians would identify with a transplanted team, even if the migration would be 50 km or less. In other leagues and contexts, fan allegiances can withstand those shifts. Not sure how a league that is largely predicated on its live gates makes that proposed transition with two clubs that are so rooted in history as ours. Diehards appreciate some certainties in life. Compare a Labour Day Classic in Hamilton between those two teams to one held -- for the sake of argument -- at a Mississauga site. Not even close.

Oski Wee Wee,

Sharing a stadium with your rival in what would amount to a neutral site sounds quaint

Actually I think it could be exactly the opposite, lead to a much bigger overall fanbase for the CFL in southern Ontario. Quaint, to me, is the West Harbourfront for the TigerCats. Small, cozy and sleepy. Hey, fine by me as long as there is an owner for the team and therefore a team. :wink:

CFL cities can barely support 1 team ... how in the world is a location supposed to support 2 ?

Earl had suggested in this thread that the visiting team can only have so many tickets . what's that going to do ? I'll tell ya .. NOTHING ... the fans purchase the tickets not the teams are you going to have to state which team your cheering for when you buy a ticket ??? how will people react when the ticket office says ." oh sorry only argo fans are allowed to buy tickets" that opens up a door to even more trouble

Ryck,
For Grey Cups, each team is given an allotment of seats when it's determined who is playing. It's a pretty easy thing to do.

Anyways, I'm for a shared stadium in a site that Young and Braley want and sponsors. It would be great for the CFL. That's just me. I want what Young and Braley see as best for the league.

At that point it would be smarter to cut down to one team and relocate the other one.

And the fans that are the fastest pick up the tickets … they do that so both teams can make money … it doesn’t divide the fans 50-50 … thats what i am saying … sure you can do that to equal the ticket take for both teams …but it won’t control whose fans buys them is what i am saying

What exactly do New York and Hamilton/Toronto have to do with each other? Are you really so ignorant?

The main thing for you to reconsider is that in NY those 2 teams share the same city. The Ticats and blue team do not.

It’s truly amazing to see just how little thought people put behind ideas.

Hamilton is partly a bedroom community for the GTA now I'm afraid and even a councillor is on record as saying that. I'd have to find the link as I read this recently.

In effect, being somewhat of a bedroom community is a bit like living in the same general urban area, extended city, whatever you want to call it.

Earl: I was being sarcastic re the “quaint” bit. LOL

As a Raiders fan re the NFL, I supported the team even after it left Oakland to play in Los Angeles. However, speaking for myself, I don’t know how I would be able to get my head around my hometown team being in a shell game like a “GTA Tabbies” scheme. Not my kind of reboot.

Oski Wee Wee,

Okey dokey oski, I hear ya.

Add me there!

And Toronto says they are the center of the Universe and they are not too… :wink:

Tiger-Cats control all ticket sales for their home games, and Argos control all ticket sales for their home games. You want a ticket to Labour Day game – you buy it from the Cats. Want a ticket to the rematch the next weekend – you buy it from the Argos. Just as it is now. Anyone who wants tickets can buy whatever’s available.

If they shared a stadium, each would have its own season ticket base, and many if not most of those tickets would be held by different people – an Argo fan would get row 1 seat 1 for Argo home games, and a Ticat fan would get row 1 seat 1 for Ticat home games. If that same Argo fan also wanted to go to a Ticats home game, he would have to buy a seat somewhere else other than his regular seat (just as he does now if he comes to Ivor Wynne for a game). The logistics of seat distribution are definitely not a reason this could not work.

That’s officially the stupidest idea that I’ve ever heard and I would never attend a game there ever…

Why did you find the need to explain something to me that i said … I GET IT … YES EACH TEAM MAKES THEIR MONEY … I SAID THAT …
NOW WHAT I SAID WAS … it will be very easy for lets say a TI-CAT home game to become an away game because of the lopsidedness of the fans buying tickets …Toronto gets more fans …i don’t care what anyone says they do right now … if everyone has to travel to the same place the atmosphere could become hostile for your own home game …

But sooner or later one team will become the weak link there and have to move or fold

Only if there is no season ticket base. Ticket distribution will not be different than it would be for a 2 stadium situation. If the STH base is small enough that one side or the other can flood the other teams home game then the team with that small STH base will fail so the entire point is moot. The Argos have the same opportunity to buy up IWS and outnumber Ticat fans as they would in a shared stadium