Toronto out of Playoffs?

What are your predictions for the standings in the east and west devision this year? do you think that toronto will not make they playoffs. I personally do because at this point in time Damon Allen is their starting quarterback. I Predict:

East:
Hamilton
Montreal
Winnipeg
Toronto

West:
BC
Saskatchewan
Calgary
Edmonton

Hamilton at the top hmmm...

Here is my slightly educated guess at the standings:

Toronto 10-8
Montreal 10-8
Winnipeg 8-10
Hamilton 7-11

BC 12-6
Saskatchewan 10-8
Calgary 9-9
Edmonton 6-12

After making these predictions I can honestly say aside from B.C., I have no idea what is going to happen in the CFL this year. There are a lot of questions out there.

For example:

1. Will Anthony Calvillo adjust to a new offense and re-discover his touch?

2. The unsettled quarterback situation in Toronto with Allen, Bishop, and McMahon.

3. Is Kevin Glenn ever going to take the next step in his development? Can the Bombers defense possible do any better than they did last year?

4. Is Danny Machocia a capable head coach and player director or should he stick to being an offensive coordinator and quarterback coach?

5. Will Kent Austin's pass happy attack light up defenses around the league? And if so, who is going to be the quarterback of it?

6. Will Hamilton ever throughly beat Toronto on Labour Day and send that sellout crowd home happy for once?

Well I guess I will have to wait until Thursday to get some idea of the answers to these questions.

• paul
6) Will Hamilton ever throughly beat Toronto on Labour Day and send that sellout crowd home happy for once?
I'll take any kind of win.

paullywood:

why do you thing the Cats will only have 7 wins this year. in the CFL is very possible to have a greatly improved season right after a horrible one.

just look at the 2003 cats and the 2004 cats. we went from 1-17 to 9-9 and that was with a lot less young and fast talent.

I am sure it is possible, and as Herm Edwards said, "that's why we play the game, we play to win!" But that being said, I am just being realistic. I would be as happy as anyone in Ticatland if the team greatly exceeded my expectations.

I chose 7 wins this year because I feel like it may take a bit of time for the team to adjust to each other, some of the new coaching staff learning the Canadian game, and where the roster fits with the new schemes on offense and defense.

I love the Ticats, but I am a realist.

But then again, stranger things have happened!

• paul

Hey there Paully, NO NEED to wait 'till Thursday - I got all the answers NOW !

1) Will Anthony Calvillo adjust to a new offense and re-discover his touch?
No, he will not - and Montreal will not make the playoffs this year, either.
2) The unsettled quarterback situation in Toronto with Allen, Bishop, and McMahon.
A real HEAD SCRATCHER ... if the Argos are SERIOUS about making the Grey Cup then I cannot see Damon Allen being there at the end.
3) Is Kevin Glenn ever going to take the next step in his development? Can the Bombers defense possible do any better than they did last year?
Yes to the former. No to the latter. The Peg will be playing in the East Final, just the same.
4) Is Danny Machocia a capable head coach and player director or should he stick to being an offensive coordinator and quarterback coach?
Danny should be relieved of his duties by week 5. Nice guy, but he is the West's version of Greg Marshall.
5) Will Kent Austin's pass happy attack light up defenses around the league? And if so, who is going to be the quarterback of it?
Yes it will ... and how is there ANY DOUBT that Kerry Joseph will be the QB ???
6) Will Hamilton ever throughly beat Toronto on Labour Day and send that sellout crowd home happy for once?
Don't care - as long as the beer is cold. Win, lose, or draw - the Labour Day game is ALWAYS a great day.

Peace.

P.S. To make this post RELEVANT to the Thread :

Winnipeg
Toronto
Hamilton
Montreal

Calgary
BC
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Toronto will BEAT Calgary in the Grey Cup.

Are you crazy?!!! The Argos are Grey Cup bound. They are much improved over 2006. Not only is Bishop not the heir apparent to Allen, they have ex-NFLer McMahon who outplayed them in the preseason. John Avery will not even be the starting RB; Jamal White will start. The receiving corps is still a strong group led by Bruce and Miles plus Canadians like Talbot and Palmer. The O-line features 4 strong Canadians. The kicking game is still led by the always-reliable Prefontaine. The D is still a young-veteran unit and are better with a reformed Belli on the line and Carter in the secondary. Levingston is still a kick return game breaker. Plus, they have good depth at every position.

Sorry Cats fans, this is the Argos' year!!

An Argo-Cat fan

Hey you bums the cats will make it to the Cup mark my words. I haven't seen an overhaul like this since Ronnie, Danny and Darren came to town. The drought is over!

bah

1. Winnipeg 11-7

2. Toronto 10-8

3. Hamilton 7-11

4. Monreal 5-13

5. B.C 10-8

6. Calgary 10-8

7. Regina 9-9

8. Deadmonton 4-14

I Predict:

East:
Montreal
toronto
Hamilton
Winnipeg

West:
Calgary
BC
Saskatchewan
Edmonton

With the CFL season beginning tomorrow evening, I suppose I'll make my prediction of the final standings here.

East Division:
Montreal
Winnipeg
Toronto
Hamilton

West Division:
B.C.
Calgary
Saskatchewan
Edmonton

However, I also predict that Edmonton will be in the East Division Semifinal game because of the crossover rule.

I also predict that B.C. will defeat Winnipeg in the Grey Cup final.

so BF…why is it then that McMahon is a capable starter… but if “Maas goes down” Chang is not a capable backup due to his lack of CFL experience… does that statement look framiliar??..lol

zenstate wrote: BarneyFife wrote: BC is stacked at every position and is the class of the league. They also have Canadians as good as most imports throughout their lineup. My money is on BC from the West. In the East it'll be the Argos. They have good depth at most positions and veterans in key positions (QB, RB, MLB, kicker, etc.), and have a strong, rebuilt Canadian O-line. Heck, John Avery won't even be starting--it'll be ex-NFLer Jamal White. I don't think the Als will make the playoffs; they've allowed themselves to get old and will also miss Matthews. The Bombers will be good because of three guys (Stegall, Glenn and Roberts), but they aren't enough. Hamilton is still a year or two away.

An Argo-Cat fan

Remember the 95 and 96 seasons? Toronto was 4-14 in 95 and then went 15-3 along with taking the Grey Cup the very next year.

People really need to get out of the “It takes time to develop a winning team” mentality when it comes the the CFL.

History PROVES that it DOES NOT take 2-3 years to go from the bottom to the top in the CFL. Look at the history yourself.

The Toronto example is just one of hundreds that I could give you of these kind of turn around seasons. I can start listing them if you like…

Yes, I realize that turn-arounds can occur more quickly in the CFL. However, I just don’t think the Cats have improved enough to make much noise in the East this season. I still don’t see a real go-to receiver (like a Stegal or a Bruce). Nor do I see a proven MLB. The outside LBs haven’t beeen improved upon from 2006. As good as Chang seems to be with lots of upside, if Maas goes down, the Cats are in big trouble. I don’t think Setta is as good a field goal kicker as Myers. The SBs are unproven. The DBs are good but apart from Tay, they can be beat. Even the playbook is untested. So I see the Cats as being another year or two away. I like the direction they’re going in but they just aren’t there yet.

An Argo-Cat fan

I think Chang will be an excellent CFL QB and have thought so since his sophmore year at Hawaii. In fact, I think in the years to some, he'll be a better QB than the Argo's Bishop, McMahon and Crouch and the Cat's Maas and Williams. However, I don't think he has the experience to lead the Cats--yet. As we all know, playing well in pre-season games is not the same as facing 1st string D's for 60 minutes, week a after week. As of today, the Argo's backups Bishop and McMahon are better than the Cats backups, Chang and Williams. (A year from now, I'd give the nod to Chang.)

An Argo-Cat fan

Maybe if you compare them in order given ie: Bishop gets the nod over Chang and McMahon over Williams but I just don’t see why McMahon would get the nod over Chang, how much CFL time HAS McMahon put in??

I think people tend to see McMahon as more experienced due to his time starting in the NFL. But Shaun King illustrated how much that is worth in the CFL.

Not to mention the fact that McMahon’s starts came with the perennial powerhouse Detroit Lions whom have always been known to have some of the leagues strongest quarterbacking.

• paul

Bobby Layne is in my ears and in my eyes… SING IT! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Bobby_Layne.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Layne

Oski Wee Wee,

Yeah but Shaun King just wasn’t that good and he has the wrong kind of mentality, he thinks a q.b should be able to relax on first down and that is why he was a career NFL back up. All the great ones are aggressive on every down.

LOL!

Alright, sorry I should be more specific. Let's go with post-war, post merger NFL.

Please take no offence Scott Mitchell, Erik Kramer, Andre Ware, Rodney Peete, Jon Kitna, Charlie Batch, Joe Ferguson, Eric Hipple, Greg Landry, Sam Wyche, Joe Reed ... et al.

;)
  • paul