Toronto@Montreal

Wow - Didn't see getting our butts kicked; I was hoping the score was closer.
Hopefully, in August we will have Montreal's number.
Looking forward to going to the game.

I thought Argos looked quite sharp at times, Lemon had a few nice passes, was some nice grabs by several Argo receivers. # 2 is the best I have seen in some time, his name slips my mind as we speak, punt returner and great potential at WR.

Didn't foresee that either. I picked my Als to win a close game, not a blowout. I think it came down to preparation and schemes today. With (finally) a full week of practice to work with, Trestman and Milanovich showed why they are two of the top offensive minds in the game today.

I like what we've been seeing from the coach and the players this year; but not even keeping up with the Als has me a little concerned. Knocking the Als out of first place would of been nice too. There has to be a way to bet the Als at their own game.

The Argos have hit reality. The fact that they had a 3-1 record going into tonight's game was a fluke. Toronto has allowed 36 more points than they have scored. The only team with a worse PF vs. PA record is Edmonton and they are 0-4. Let's face it at 3-2 the Argos can consider themselves very lucky. As anyone who as watched their games knows, the Argos could very easily be 0-5.

The way the Als played tonight they would have beaten anyone in the league. The Argos have improved over last season, but still need work and are not a Grey Cup team. Lemon needs to improve. The right side of the O-line can't compete with a strong defensive front. The Argos defense didn't make the big plays, although the AL's offense executed to perfection. Cobourne was a beast tonight.

Hopefully by Aug 14 the Argos are a bit more competitive.

Boxergirl... the other 10 teams before lost too. This is not a game that you should expect to win. If you steal it that's great but its more a test of character than anything else.

You are correct untill the line and special teams started taking costly penalties. Lemon was controlling the offense and was showing nice stuff. The four penalties killed drives and changed field position and than they caved in with mistakes and turnovers.

The first half of the game was the very best I've seen Toronto play this year and the second half was the worse... We'll see in two weeks in Toronto how your guys build on this.

Barker has to keep his cool, I'm seeing some behavior that brings back memories of old Barker...

Agreed. We haven't lost at Molson Stadium since the fall of 2008. Now, all streaks eventually end, but there's no denying that we are an extremely difficult team to beat in our own house.

The first half of the game was the very best I've seen Toronto play this year and the second half was the worse...
Which phase of the game are you thinking of? Because I didn't think Toronto's defense was anything special the whole game. Apart from the forced fumble on Cobourne, they never gave us much trouble. We drove down the field, ran on them at will, and might have been up by 11, not 7, at the half if the Green goal-line catch had been ruled a TD.

The thing about Toronto is that if you take care of the football on offense, you always have a chance to win. You don't have to score 5 majors a game, just move the ball decently and avoid turnovers. The team in its current incarnation lives off the big play on defense, but if you keep guys like Parker from making those big plays, you force Toronto's offense to work on regular not short fields, and they simply don't have the horses to sustain long drives with any consistency.

Toronto showed very nice things on that long TD drive in the first quarter, but let's be honest. We helped them out with a string of dumb penalties and an inability to play effective prevent defense on second and long. Then there was the mysterious re-spotting of the ball which turned an apparent Toronto turnover into a Toronto first down. They were not able to do anything like that in the second quarter or for the rest of the game.

Barker has to keep his cool, I'm seeing some behavior that brings back memories of old Barker...
Yep, I'm not sure how long Barker's sideline tirades are going to be effective. At some point, your players are just going to tune you out.

To their credit, the Argos finally tried going long a few times. Lemon connected with Rideau in the 2nd quarter -- but overshot a couple of open receivers. A little more accuracy, and the 1st half maybe plays out a little differently.

On the other side of the ball, though, Trestman and Milanovich clearly found several things they could exploit. The Toronto defence regularly bit on misdirection, and receivers were open all night in the flats. When they tried adjustments, Calvillo's audibles and the Montreal running game tore them to bits.

The Argos may be headed in the right direction -- but for a young team still establishing its identity, taking out a veteran group helmed by a 10-year starting QB headed for the Hall of Fame constitutes a gigantic mountain to climb.

Good point, Single Point. :slight_smile: I was worried a few times when guys like Owens clearly had a step or two on our DBs. Fortunately for us, Lemon couldn't connect, but he's getting there.

On the other side of the ball, though, Trestman and Milanovich clearly found several things they could exploit. The Toronto defence regularly bit on misdirection, and receivers were open all night in the flats. When they tried adjustments, Calvillo's audibles and the Montreal running game tore them to bits.
Playing at home, with the improved ability to audible thanks to the headset in the QB helmet, Calvillo showed his field generalship last night.
The Argos may be headed in the right direction -- but for a young team still establishing its identity, taking out a veteran group helmed by a 10-year starting QB headed for the Hall of Fame constitutes a gigantic mountain to climb.
Agreed. But it's not where you start, it's where you finish. I think we all knew that rebuilding the Argos wasn't going to happen overnight or within a span of four or five games. I'll be very curious to see where the Argos are at the two-thirds mark of the season.

The Argos defense was pretty well non-existent and they could not stop Coburne one bit, but credit to the Alouettes offensive line who seemed to open holes that you could drive a tractor-trailer through. There was not one thing positive I saw about the Argos defense during the game.

The turning point (if there was one) was the roughing the punter penalty on Kuale, the Argos were up 10-7 and had stopped the Als, but Montreal got it back and scored a touchdown.

Argos should take this one, not to worry…go team

Yes, Bomber Cowgirl: We have a fantastic team this year.

I was hoping for too much too soon.....but I do think Montreal will lose in Toronto on the 14th. The team we have this year seems to always be progressing and not regressing, like we have for the past couple of years. If only we could learn to win whole games and not just in the 4th quarter. (Little departure from the T.O. and MTL.)

Is there any word on whether Calvillo will be playing for MTL?
I heard he was injured but I don't know if it was just day to day.

answering my own question, I just heard he's good to go on TSN.
Darn, I guess thats a good thing but now Toronto will have a heck of a time.

He will more than likely play. Saw him interviewed, xrays showed clean dislocation, nothing torn.

[url=http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Alouettes+Calvillo+firing+bullets/3382574/story.html]http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Alo ... story.html[/url]