Toronto Media Re: Taaffe !!!!

8) All I seem to hear on all the Toronto radio and TV sports shows is that if the Cats lose badly tonight, then that is the end for Charlie already !!!
 I personally don't think he will be fired this soon.  However if we go 0-4 and don't show any marked improvement, then I think it is inevitable that the axe will fall !!!!

I think Obie will try to salvage something out of the year, before it is too late, and we are out of playoff contention before Labour Day again !!!       <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->

Bring back Greg Marshall!

Oops, not possible, he absolutely loves his situation with the 'Stangs in London from what I've heard. Hmmm, can't blame him actually. :wink:

I'd say they tie the can to him if they 0-3.

But it isn't going to happen.

The Cats are going to pull an upset tonight.

If they show a flat performance again and get dominated again that may be enough for Obie to let him go. I know for sure that Obie has no tolerance for heartless and mindless play.

My hope is that its at least a close game. Even if we lose..

That's one good thing with Obie there, he's been around the block a time or two and will know what to do and when if need be.

I'm guessing they keep Charlie till at least 0-4

Charlie: Smell that? You smell that?

Lance: What?

Charlie: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
[kneels]

Charlie: I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours.

When it was all over, I walked up.

We didn’t find one of ‘em,
not one stinkin’ dink body.

The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill.

Smelled like… victory. Someday this war’s gonna end…

[Charlie unhappily walks off]

Charlie: Did they say why, Willard, why
they want to terminate my command?

Willard: I was sent on a classified mission, sir.

Charlie: It’s no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?

Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane,

and that your methods were unsound.

Charlie: Are my methods unsound?

Willard: I don’t see any method at all, sir.

Charlie: I expected someone like you.

What did you expect? Are you an assassin?

Willard: I’m a soldier.

Charlie: You’re neither. You’re an errand boy,

sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

Hope Willard shoots himself too....

Here we go again!!! Are we re-building or going for a Grey Cup. It makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense to fire Taffe at al this year. If you are rebuilding patience is the key. You need to understand for the first year or two things will be bleak but if there is improvement then you wait. Last year is a total right off and unfair to judget Taffe. We had a management team in place at start of this year and coaches with CFL experience. Lets ride the year through....find the right players and right system and if the team does not make a surge at the end of the year then maybe....

The suitor could be "the Don"

tydogz etc:

This team absolutely cannot afford to have another season like last year. If we go 0-3, 0-4 then Charlie will have to walk the plank.This team could be ruined if the season becomes meaningless after August.
Forget the specious philosophy about "not changing coaches in mid season". This team cannot even think about continuing to see the losses mount up. Its past all that. A coaching change at 0-3, 0-4 would signal that there is still hope.
I hope I am wrong and we win a couple of games soon but we need to face reality here.
This teams problems on-field are at least 4 years old...our coaching problems are coming up to a season and half old.
One more thing....Marcel Desjardins hired Charlie so the excuse is already there.

I'm still shocked beyond belief that Taaffe survived last year's debacle.
Some of the coaching mistakes on the field surrounding points and clock management were difficult to accept. However, I'm trying really hard to keep the faith and believe in the team's upper management.
That's why Game 1's performance was so difficult to accept. If the Cats players believed in their coach, one would have expected a much better effort.

Firing Charlie is a Crazy Idea..
75% of the is Team has year or less in the CFL.

Obie Rehired Taaffe
If He Felt that he not right guy it should been done before the season.
The Team in Catch 22 now

Fire the coach and Team mat lose
Keep the coach and Team may lose.
We can't Keep Firing Coaches
It leaves Right where we are.
Stuck in last Place.

I know JL mentioned on a TV interview the Cats would be turning some heads this year. I hope it starts tonight that the heads will be turning back to the action on the field and not the other way, I know that's what you mean't Jesse. :wink:

I think Taffe needs a chance. Its still pretty early...I just look for a more inspired performance -- and less mistakes.

If the Cats lose because they were simply out-executed...fine. But blowing 100 yards on penalties, idiotic turnovers, lack of emotion on the field and predictable play calling is all on the coach IMHO.

Say what you want about Marshall...you could certainly feel his passion on the sidelines. And it seemed like the players felt they had to ramp up the energy under him.

I'm cool with the rough-play penalties -- as long as they are a reflection of intensity. I just hate the lazy, brain-dead ones.

But blowing 100 yards on penalties, idiotic turnovers, lack of emotion on the field and predictable play calling is all on the coach IMHO.
I have a hard time putting much of this on Taffee. Yes, we have the same penalty problems as last year it appears, BUT with so many new faces, CT needs more than one game to install his discipline for infractions during meaningful games.

I’m not sure how the coach is faulted for turnovers too. That would go more to the talent on the field than anything to do with coaching. If Charlie kept the best, then that goes more to OB than the coach. The only one would be the third down gamble (stupid stupid play calling on that one).

The playcalling I can’t argue with. That is the coaching. However, its the systems installed by DC and MB…or is it on Taaffe? Theres been lots of talk that we should have expected exactly what we saw from our coordinators…

To me, the lack of discipline (on off-sides, holding, etc., boneheaded penalties) means that the coach doesn’t have the reigns on the players…or, he’s not torturing them enough for taking them.

Turnovers are the same in my book. Yeah, talent plays a big part of it, for sure. And some of that is just going to happen…but often it happens on missed assignments.

And, uninspired lazy play (which results in penalties) can be a symptom of a coach that can’t motivate his players.

Offsides can be over-zealousness (first game of the year...first in the league for some..first as a ticat for many). Also...an experienced QB (ie Calvillo) would mix up counts and cadence to throw the defence.
Holding is often a last resort because the player got beat, or just isnt good enough.

Their wasnt as much of a penalty problem in the preseason. Like I said, Taaffe should step in NOW and discipline for the penalties now that its happening in real games. If he doesnt and it continues...then I'll agree with you.

I'm not sure how turnovers are ever the coaches fault. Mitchell's fumble wasnt a coaches fault (aside from making sure he protects the ball). The botched snap wasnt a coach's fault. Please explain your stance on turnovers a bit more.

Lancaster? Just a thought....

No way! NO NO NO. I made that mistake before calling for Ron and he came in and was absolutely horrible, he reduced our playbook down to nothing and he gave away his game plans over the radio.

We need a coach with a young vibrant mind who is capable of creative ideas, not a dictator who believes in running a predictable limited playbook. This is not the 70’s where you could get away with running the same 20 plays over and over and over each week.

(not that i’m calling for Taaffes head, right now i’m blaming the players)