Toronto dosen't care about the Argonauts

Argo fans the majority of football fans in Toronto don't care about the Argos they want an NFL team not the CFL. The CFL is regarded as minor league and in reality it is . Toronto is a major league city .This began with the Blue Jays taking the field in 1977. This franchise has been dead since the mid 1980's with a small exception in the early 90's with the new skydome and the Hollywood ownership group of McNall, Candy and Gretzky. Grey cup championships have done nothing to boost attendance not even Doug Flutie in the mid 90's improved attendance .The diehard Argo fans will say this isn't true but it is look it up it is fact not even up for debate. When you go to a game at BMO it is almost empty the upper deck is empty the stadium is small and they can't even draw 20 000 . When they played at Rogers centre same thing , the last years at Exhibition stadium the same thing , people said once they move to BMO the people will come well they haven't and aren't at least for the CFL .The CFL head office is considering a merger with the XFL .This will destroy the CFL. it will be another embarrassment just like the mid 90's expansion in to the U.S. was. They think that if a team is from an American city people will go to games i feel sorry for you if that's the case the XFL is also minor league made up of guys who can't play in the NFL or aren't ready for the NFL. The NFL will be here too much $$$$ for it not to. Argo fans say what you will this is the truth there is no arguement this has gone on for decades it's dead no marketing or a star U'S' college player
will turn this around it is simply not wanted here NO ONE except a tiny few WANTS IT !

2 Likes

Evidently they don't really care about the Jays either. One of the most important series of the season right now at they are only drawing 20k

3 Likes

Well I mostly agree here but for the NFL part and the XFL crap, whatever, show us you can make it through a season and then maybe make an argument provided you also have fans in the stands and teams that play in cities unlike another one of those crap leagues.

How many Toronto threads like this one have we had on this forum over the years? Dozens? Usually they are in the slow off-season too.

I appreciate the FIRE! in this thread too. WELL NOW! :smile_cat:

1 Like

Dude Toronto is a Leafs town nothing more. Even the NFL would have a hard time breaking the Leafs hold on the city

5 Likes

Not only that but it just isn’t a football town. That has been well established. Also there isn’t an individual in Toronto anyone has been able to identify that meets the NFL criteria and has $5-6 billion to spare other than an uninterested David Thompson. The NFL ain’t coming to “big league” Toronto anytime soon. It is also MLSE that is widely rumoured to have been behind the XFL merger talks. If Toronto wants an American football team that is the best they are going to get, in my opinion.

3 Likes

MLSE should think more internationally by going through US expansion via the CFL

2 Likes

I agree with the underlying sentiment, but this is more proof that Toronto is a snobbish town than a “major league” one

8 Likes

Dude the NFL is popular here and will do quite well

2 Likes

I have yet to see any NFL team jersey out number a Leafs jersey in public places. Get back to me when you do

2 Likes

They won’t outsell Leaf jerseys a Toronto team will do well Dude

1 Like

Whoever gets a team in Toronto will bleed money.

Remember the Toronto Bills series was a flop. Rogers papered the venue to get people there. I know because I paid full price for three nose bleed seats while a homeless guy sitting next to me bragged he got his ticket from a men’s shelter. True story, bro.

The NFL ain’t coming to Toronto. It’s okay with Toronto people flocking to Highmark Stadium with their hedonistic ambitions. “Oh look, Darryl is jumping through a flaming portable table and that guy is getting head in the parking lot. I can’t wait to get there to get my freak on.”

2 Likes

Toronto is 4th in AL attendance.

2 Likes

The Argos are also 4th in East division attendance.

:wink:

5 Likes

Only when they win. Once the stars go to US teams, the losing and rebuild will start all over again

1 Like

The data is clear and obvious. Only, Leafs, Raptors have successful crowds and footbul/soccer for the international crowd. NFL, CFL, XFL, even baseball does not sell very well. Because the people have grown up with hockey from a young age, it becomes culture. The large hoards of immigrants have grown up with soccer, it became their sport. Football is an American culture at very early ages, Canada culture is hockey from when a kid can walk. CFL is an impossible sell in Toronto.

2 Likes

You neglect the fact Argos get better ratings on TSN than TFC, meaning people are staying home to watch the the Argos.

The Argos use to get over 50,000 at the old Exhibition Stadium. If they can get 20,000 at BMO. I’d consider that a success

2 Likes

You are right to an extent but it wasn’t always the way it is today. I can remember well having to buy scalper’s tickets to more than one Argo game at old Ex Stadium.
The immigrant situation does have a big effect but the fact that the Argos play teams from Regina and Hamilton and not teams from La or NYC gives the perception of being homegrown and not world class. Perception has a lot to do with it. All the other teams in Toronto play cities in the States.

3 Likes

The NFL will be here and it’ll do fine

2 Likes

I think they got scared away by the poor attendance at the last games they hosted in Toronto. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for the NFL to set up shop in Toronto.

4 Likes

Is that the best they you can come up with, dude? you need stronger retorts. If not, just admit defeat and move on

1 Like