Toronto and the NFL

Just one thing to say about this: Never going to Happen

Thanks for that nugget of information.

You might as well mention that dinosaurs are extinct, too.

:lol:

I agree but why did you bring it up?

:lol:

Or that Kilgore's a lousy quarterback.

Booting the Argos out of the Dome was also booting any possibility of NFL Toronto out as well. Thanks Captain Obvious! Now, what deals are on hotels.com this week? :lol:

:)

Hi ArgoFan90 :

You're new here (Welcome!!!) so there are a few things you should know about the cfl.ca forum...

First, the NFL in Toronto has been discussed to death. I'm sure you could easily find thousands of post on the subject.

Second, posters in this forum worry about everything : CFL ratings, attendance, teams profit and loss margins, etc. The one thing no one worries about : the NFL coming to Toronto! The reason : the day Ralph Wilson's widow sold the Bills to Pegula was the day the Bills were guaranteed to stay in Buffalo and the day when Toronto became part of their territory. And, of course, the bombing of the Bills in Toronto Series didn't hurt.

Anyway, if the NFL in Toronto is something you concern yourself about, you should not lose another second of sleep because even the most pessimistic among us does not believe the NFL is coming.

Those NFL fans still fail to understand why showing up to a crappy team and selling it out wouldve got them a team but being the bandwagoners that they are (i believe all 32 nfl jerseys were found in and around rogers center) the NFL knew it would be pointless to put a team in a town full of bandwagoners as soon as the team sucked they would be getting worse attendance than Toronto FC

Or even worse - down to the level of this season's Argos' crowds. :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry vanhalen - since you called me a 'borderline troll' I thought I might as well throw in a truthful comment that I'm sure you (and some others) will label as trolling.

Right now the sad fact is that TFC are easily outdrawing the Argos at BMO Field - and there are very few of us - myself included - who would have thought that would be the case back in the spring. I thought at worst for the Argos the crowds would be comparable. They haven't been.

But getting back to NFL in Toronto - which was not going to happen once the Bills were purchased by Pegula - I noticed just the other day the Bills have got a new lucrative stadium naming rights deal with New Era - further cementing their long term presence in Buffalo. So no more Ralph Wilson Stadium - but instead it is New Era Field that several thousand of us here in Southern Ontario will visit for a Bills game or two this season.

What are the TFC ticket prices like? Are they the same as the Argos? More? Less?

What TFC or the Argos do price-wise makes no difference in the NFL to Toronto pipedream in the grand scheme of things.

Unless a) there's a new stadium going up and the appropriate funding b) expansion on the horizon, the NFL will never come here.

In the modern are a sale and relocation has never happened. It's only been existing owners moving their team which either occurs with a taxpayer gifted stadium or an existing owner with grandiose real estate endeavors. I don't see anyone wanting to build an 'NFL North Campus'.

Don't see it ever happening, which is kind of too bad. There's a model where it's arrival would actually stabilize the Argos and maybe the CFL forever

Now you tell me ,I ma going home for a good sleep.

So why even bring it up? :thdn:

Yes but I would rather them not be here at all.

Anyway, Toronto is now Pegula territory so it's a moot point.

What model is that?

The NFL gets no resistance to expand in Canada but the Canadian NFL team(s) must, as a part of their business plan, ensure the CFL survives/thrives. As some have said, a Canadian NFL team's rounding errors would make the Argos very profitable.

I'll post it tomorrow. It's very long winded and saved at work :slight_smile:

Regarding a model where the NFL in Toronto can help the Argos and the CFL, it's all tied to ownership.

With the Argos, people always seem to talk about Bell’s motive but frequently overlook the other partner – Mr. Larry Tanenbaum

Why did he buy in?

The probable prognosis by the Mightygoose begins:

When the sale was first being discussed in a Zicarlelli article almost 3 years ago, it was suggested the NFL wanted Toronto and by extension the CFL stabilized before they move in. Tanenbaum’s purchase is merely Phase 1.

The NFL would want the CFL to be in good shape AFTER they come in as well. In addition, they would want to ensure the market can support it gate-wise in the long run, since Toronto does absolutely nothing for the US national media contracts….which really fuels the league.

How does the Toronto franchise achieve this?

Tannanbaum being the lead investor of a Toronto based franchise is Phase 2. As the NFL would essentially be entering another league’s territory and agreement would need to be crafted by the 2 leagues. In the future, the 2 teams must be sold together at all times and any sale must be approved by both boards of governors.

Since a Toronto franchise will not bring anything to the value of the US TV/Media deals, gate will be more important here than any US location. To ensure both Toronto can pull its weight attendance-wise and the Argos can co-exist, Phase 3 kicks in

The NFL would have a clause in the franchise agreement that they will always maintain a minimum number of season ticket holders (say 50K) so they qualify for their full share of central revenues. US based owners would not want to share the pie with a foreign owned team that’s playing in front of too many empty seats. If Toronto doesn’t reach this threshold, it’s a massive loss of revenue to them.

To look after the Argos, anyone who wants to purchase season tickets to the NFL team must purchase at minimum a 3 game Argo flex pack at the applicable category. If one wants to buy best seats in the house for the NFL, the Argo category must be Platinum A. It’s built into the price – think of it like a tax. If someone is an existing Argo season ticket holder or have a flex pack of the same category or higher – enter their account # for a reduction.

If they reach 45,000 season ticket holders, that would equate to a 15,000 season ticket equivalent for the Argos. On top of those who will have Argo season tickets on their own anyways.......yes they will exist, say even 5K, we’ll there’s Copeland’s 20K goal he was taking about.

Those who don’t want to tickets can give them to friends, charities, work place incentives. When there was the free ticket offer from the season ticket holders on the pre-season game – I had no problems given them away and had to turn some away. Even with the free 4 ticket offer for Argo All Access members, my 4 we're spoken for quickly. For games, I couldn’t attend this year; again I had no trouble giving them away. It will be like the C&S days, papering the house with PAID tickets.

Under this model, the Argos would be profitable pretty much forever. If another Canadian city wants to bring the NFL to town, same model can be used.

The probable prognosis by the Mightygoose ends:

Unfortunately that plan kills the CFL in Ottawa and Hamilton and they lose tons of league wide sponsors . You just can't have the giant in the same room without getting squished .

If I had any plan with the NFL it would have our CFL go NFL rules with no crossover games and our champion getting an invite to the super bowl play offs with a home game every two years ( wild card spot). They can include the European champion as well when that gets off the ground .

The NFL would be happy as they do not have to share any TV revenue until the play off game . The CFL fans in Toronto would be happy as they get a chance to go to the big show if they qualify . A win win if this Frankenstein idea
would ever take place .

The CFL would cease to exsist and NFL Canada would be the new league in this country.