no. 6 Russ Jackson performance 1969
no. 7 Russ Jackson to Margene Adkins TD pass 1968
no. 8 Bill Hatanaka TD Run 1976
no. 9 Jackson to Stewart screen 1969
no. 10 Rick Cassata to Rhome Nixon 1973
no. 11 Wayne Smith tackle on Tom Wilkinson 1973

What is your List ?

You mixed up 1 and 2. :wink:

It's pretty pathetic that I've been a fan since 1988 and am unable to come up with ten plays that I've actually witnessed as they happened.

I think I remember Dan Crowley completing a pass once. That was pretty cool.

I'd have to dig up a specific date, but Ottawa played Toronto and the game went into (I believe) double OT with Stephen Jones (again, based on memory) catching a deep pass to seal it. I think I still have the newspaper article buries in my basement somewhere.

For the Renegades, Joseph to Cutolo against Montreal on Canada Day 2005.

I prefer to talk about NOW not the ancient past.

Hey, I only asked for your opinion not a smart ass remark.

The only reason I didn't put it at No.1 was because the Gabriel catch won the Grey Cup. Otherwise It
was probably the most exciting. I am going by my opinion because I witnessed all of these live.

Good list although some of it was when I was 7 years old (1968) :wink:

There are a couple I would add as memorable plays .....

• Tony Gabriel "limping" to the end zone before the double interference call in the 1981 Grey Cup
  • Nick Benjamin's (OL) rumble to catch someone on the Ottawa 1 yard line after Ottawa fumble in THEIR end of the field

Doesn't seem like a fair fight -- an entire performance against 10 single plays?

how the heck do you remember them?

Was this a smart ass remark???
The picture says it all. My "opinion" is it's about NOW not the past. It's about the REDBLACKS not some teams that were here many years ago.

As frustrating as the Rough Riders and Renegades were most of the time, having put up with that for so long makes the RedBlacks success better for me.

Okay. Then you're saying that history means nothing, is ancient and we should only ever speak of the present. I guess nothing was important before you were born.

I just want to forget the bad ownership of the past and move on. That was OSEGs and Jeff Hunt's goal, they didn't want to re-name the team the Renegades or Rough Riders, it brings back bad memories and a losing tradition. I love the idea that they stuck to Ottawa colours, same as the Sens, 67s so they can say that they borrowed from them not the football past. They don't need to wear "throw back" uniforms or incorporate the past into the new uniforms.
I like the statue to Frank Clair on the South Side that is a great monument to the football played at the stadium and a tribute to the man. I like the old films and highlights of the great Rider years and the tribute to some of the old players.
But I want to see this team separate from that.
They are saying that Ottawa is drawing the youngest age demographic in the CFL. The Riders died 20 years ago you would have to be over 30 to remember them and you would have to be over 50 to remember a winning season.

Time to make memories now - the young people today will remember the year that the REDBLACKS went to the Grey Cup on a huge last minute 2nd and 25, 93 yard TD pass.
But hey that's just my opinion

I get where you're coming from in a lot of ways. I want to be free of being reminded of Dexter Manley and drafting dead dudes. I want the Ottawa Sun to stop calling Lonie Glieberman to ask him what he thinks of the current club or to reminisce/justify about his ownership blunders.

What we're doing here though is celebrating the GOOD parts. That's not a bad thing.

And fans shouldn't be dismissed because of their age. During the debates about accepting OSEG's plan, I'm willing to bet that it wasn't the 22-year old with the painted face that was attending meetings at city hall and speaking on favour of the plan. It was the 50+ year old who loved the Riders and wanted that back.

[quote="CRFadmin
What we’re doing here though is celebrating the GOOD parts. That’s not a bad thing.

And fans shouldn’t be dismissed because of their age. During the debates about accepting OSEG’s plan, I’m willing to bet that it wasn’t the 22-year old with the painted face that was attending meetings at city hall and speaking on favour of the plan. It was the 50+ year old who loved the Riders and wanted that back.
[/quote]
Exactly, CRFadmin, well said. I was one of those guys attending meetings and putting my money where my mouth is by buying season tickets. I guess Slimjim, is saying we should diisregard the contributions to Ottawa football of guys like Tony Gabriel, Russ Jackson, Ronnie Stewart, Moe Racine, Gerry Organ, Whit Tucker, Frank Clair, George Brancato’s because the young crowd doesn’t remember them. I’m glad he’s not in charge of Veterans Affairs, the veterans would not be getting much love from him. OSEG may not like my age group or what I like, but I don’t see them turning my money down when I pony up the cash.

Exactly, CRFadmin, well said. I was one of those guys attending meetings and putting my money where my mouth is by buying season tickets.
I reserved my seat in 2008, if I recall correctly, when they asked for the $25 deposit. I assume you did too and that most of the people who did were fans of the previous teams here.

I completely, totally, absolutely understand that you want to market to young people and build a fan base, but you don't knock Norm and Cliff off their stools to do it.

So far I find OSEG is walking the line pretty well. Slim mentions the statue but they have the banner across the East path with all the retired numbers and so on too. Nice touch. And last year the program was all about Ottawa football history, while this year's touches on traditions and such. One doesn't have to exclude the other.

But yeah, anything that might potentially remind people of the gold pants, Captain Crunch logo or Mardi Gras needs to be turfed ASAP.

Absolutely agree here too. We got on that list as soon as it was out because of the 40 years of our family having season tickets. I'm glad they kept the single R on the helmet (even with saw cuts) as it does bring the PAST with the NEW. My kids were single digit ages going to Rough Riders games, They remember the tailgating in the parking lot behind the Southside and throwing the football around on the old "practice" field. These aren't things we want to forget. These are things that are part of FOOTBALL HISTORY in OTTAWA. :thup:

Now more history is being made with the RedBlacks but it is still OTTAWA FOOTBALL HISTORY :wink: