Top 10 Ricky Williams Excuses

Here's yet another Ricky Williams thread, but hopefully one with a different slant.

Expectations are running pretty high for Ricky this year. But what if he ends up disappointing everyone?

For argument's sake, I'll define a disappointing season as follows: 1. not finishing among the top 4 rushers (i.e. below the median of starting RBs); or 2. Argos not making it to the Grey Cup, even though they almost made it in '05 and won it in '04 without Ricky.

What excuses do you think people - both Canadians and Americans - will make for why Ricky did not burn up the league? Here's my predictions.

10. Everyone in the league was gunning for Ricky and Ricky alone, making it impossible to succeed

9. He couldn't excel when forced to use the CFL's inferior equipment/playing surfaces/training staff

8. His teammates were jealous of all the attention he was getting and refused to block for him

7. Part of the Argos' secret deal with Miami was to limit his carries per game

6. Ricky couldn't resist the superior Canadian weed and lax attitude toward enforcement (just like I couldn't resist a little cheap shot)

5. The CFL was not serious about giving him a chance. They wanted him to fail so that they could claim their league was just as good.

4.(a) Everyone was taking cheap shots at him, so he had to ease up to avoid injury

4.(b) Everyone was taking cheap shots at him, so he had to play most of the season with nagging injuries

3. The CFL is a pass-happy league, and the Argos couldn't adjust their game plan to take advantage of Ricky's greatness

2. The Argos burned him out early by using him too much at the start of the season

1. Does anyone seriously believe he was actually trying? This was just another exercise class for him! He's saving himself for when it really matters.

Think that about covers it? Suggestions are welcome. I'm just trying to save the bandwagon riders some time by offering them a few speaking points in advance. Just in case they need it.

Note: the real reason, of course, would be that the discrepancy in talent between the two leagues is not as vast as some believe it to be, and that one man does not a football team make.

The real reason, of course, would be that the discrepancy in talent
between the two leagues is not as vast as some believe it to be,
and that one man does not a football team make.

Maybe all the weak-eyed folks viewing this will think that these are my words.

P.S.

Good work Ex-Pat..I just hope that
people will have to use these excuses
at least when he plays the Ticats.

LOL really amusing! I like that someone is finally taking this situation light-heartedly and added some homour to this otherwise aging topic. Thanks for the great post!!!

Actually I wasn’t trying to be funny. I honestly think there is a good chance Ricky will disappoint. If that happens, some people will start to make excuses, many of which will be quite lame. This thread is my attempt to predict what those excuses will be. I hope to be able to resurrect this thread over the next few months.

Of course if Ricky shoots the lights out, I will remain silent.

This thread will be my ongoing pet project throughout the year, and I will update it as necessary. Actually I can't believe I missed this one from my original list.

11. The Argos offensive line was incapable of opening holes for Ricky.

I don't know. I think Ricky will do fine in the CFL.

haha, nice list. Now argos bandwagoners won't have to think up an excuse once they realize ricky will fail.

I'll take 4 b and 6. What happenes if Rickiy is injured ? or plays little due to injury. This is not with out risks for the Argos or the US team.

Let's wait and see how he does in a few real games before we take too many pot-shots at him.
Merlin.

I was at the game on Friday. Ricky was far from impressive but the same went for about everyone on the Argos. His size is nothing special at all. He did run with a certain umph despite his lacking in yardage. He'll have a decent year if he can hunker his umph with the pace and timing required of the Argo's CFL offense.

I hope he finishes below the 4 top rushers in the league. The 500 Dolphins sweaters at SkyDump were rather annoying...

No one should be writing off Williams quite yet (not that anyone is), he's a talent and to keep him in check all teams will have to be well prepared.
Once he makes a few adjustments and him and the O-line get familiarized a bit it will definately be a little (little) more work to shut him down.

I'm a big Dolphin fan and an even bigger Ticat fan..mixed emotions (Cats trump).
Seen a lot of him the past few years and he can flat out play. He will get his yards and make plays in any league. The bigger question I think is how much will Pinball be willing to change his current O-schemes to accomodate the guy? This may be their undoing. They are quite proficient at running their current offence (pre any changes). In my estimation it still comes down to Damon and his ability to make plays. This is not a traditional run oriented offence so to be effective Ricky may have to become the swing pass king!
Go Dolphins.. go Ticats...sorry Ricky!

:twisted:

i'm going to make a comment Ricky is a cold hearted snake he will do anything to play ball but will be very disapointing to some people some will make alot of excuse for him and for to keep him around altogether what i think is that he had his chance in the NFL in Miami and that he shouldn't be allowed to beable to return due to the fact that he is always on drugs. He may do good here i don't know but then again he may not really for one i don't give a flying fart because he is a mouthy asshole. i don't think he will do well that's my thoughts..

What? He’s not a well spoken wordsmith like yourself?

What do we have to do here, spray the pace down with stalker-be-gone?

[quote]
He may do good here i don't know but then again he may not really for one i don't give a flying fart because he is a mouthy asshole. i don't think he will do well that's my thoughts..

Problem with your cornflakes this morning?

Controversy aside about Ricky, I agree with you here…the guy can no doubt bring it and he’ll be looking to shake that 7 yard monkey off his back real quick…If we can hold him to just normal yardage expected of an average running back, we’ll be doing ok…but keeping him to 7 yards on 4 carries the other night was sure a morale boost for our guys!

well what do you want me to sayabout him that his a sweetheart because i'm not he stinks that's all. and when i say i don't give a flying fart is because i'm not gonna sit here and say what i really wanted to say. so anyways just wanted to put my two cent in on this that's all.

Here’s the rules to the league, it should only take you about a week to read…so see ya next week.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=2

I think your comments are worth dollars…certainly not sense…

:twisted:

you know what your a jerk sorry to say all i wanted to know was about the game and all and about Ricky but ya'll haters on here i can see why my friend said that to me yesterday..