Tommy Shuler

Johnny`s favorite sports reporter Rick Moffat said this morning that Shuler has been put on the Als neg list. He is apparently now trying out for the Jacksonville Sharks of the Arena League.

Some familiar names I see on the Sharks are Chris Smith, Scooter Berry, and Prechae Rodriguez.

Good decision. If we are going with Cato might as well give him his receiver. :thup:

Good news. Not sure why he'd be trying out for an Arena team ahead of us but hey that's his choice. I hope we get a chance to see him sooner rather than later.

He can get out of an AFL contract. The kid is dreaming of the NFL but he's the size of Logan but the speed of Ben Cahoon... Great hands and psychic connection with Cato, add the waggle and he has a chance in the CFL, NFL not so much.

The Sharks tryout is a diversion. Wrap you head around Arena League salaries from the WaPost.

[i]Now, under a single-entity model where players sign contracts with the league, they make $830 a game — $775 for rookies, with quarterbacks earning an extra $250 per start. To offset the meager salaries, players are given three meals a day and have the option of renting an apartment provided by the team, and often arranged by the coach, for $600 per month.

About half of the players on the [Philadelphia] Soul supplement their income with a second job, while all but two or three have assistance with housing. Around the league, players have been known to work as bouncers at nightclubs or personal trainers at local gyms.[/i]

And we are talking US Dollars, here.

The Sharks tryout is a diversion. Wrap you head around Arena League salaries from the WaPost.

[i]Now, under a single-entity model where players sign contracts with the league, they make $830 a game — $775 for rookies, with quarterbacks earning an extra $250 per start. To offset the meager salaries, players are given three meals a day and have the option of renting an apartment provided by the team, and often arranged by the coach, for $600 per month.

About half of the players on the [Philadelphia] Soul supplement their income with a second job, while all but two or three have assistance with housing. Around the league, players have been known to work as bouncers at nightclubs or personal trainers at local gyms.[/i]

But he gets to practice and likely live at home with his parents while he hopes to get a call from an NFL squad. Like his agent said to Moffat his head is still very much at the NFL dream. Typically Jim Popp does not make a push for players until they come to him. Once he signs a CFL contract he's commited for at least two years since the season is already started. No point in signing him to a 1+1 with an option in January.

Yep. I read about Arena salaries a while back and I'm guessing they haven't changed much. You can't live on that kind of a wage. If Schuler wants to make a decent living, he should come up to Montreal and reunite with his old running buddy Cato. :thup:

If Shuler were to sign he would have to start on the Practice Roster where salaries are $600 a week CANADIAN. I have Monopoly money that`s worth more these days.

That's where all College rookies start. The equivalent of $31 200.00 a year is not big bucks but it covers his expenses and is still more than he's going to make in the arena league.

But again, right now he's willing to pine hoping for the NFL, which makes a lot of sense as well.

Seems interested:

Tommy Shuler ?@shuler4 20h20 hours ago
@PoppJim I would love to help my brother Cato out to win a grey cup give me shot you won't be wrong ask him !!!! Tommy shuler !!!

If he's willing to sign a 2+1 it would make sense. Gives him the time to learn and the Als to get a payback if he's any good.

Et encore un scoop de notre ami Sheldon! Bravo! :rockin:

Thanks for the compliment LeStaf, but the only thing I`m good at scooping is Haagen Dazs ice cream!

Its funny, a few years ago when he was with the Habs, everyone related my name to Sheldon Souray , now its Sheldon Cooper. I`ve gone from Mr. Macho to a nerd!

Might need to change your handle to SheldonMachoNerd :lol:

OK, Jim Popp, as they say in Mooresville, NC - "Let's git 'er done."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMVutvQltE

Great hands, football IQ and lower body strength. Would be a great situation for him to learn from Nick Lewis.

Expect he could bunk with Rakem too stretch his dollars.

Being on our neg list is not the same as having been offered a tryout or contract.

Definitely couldn't hurt to give him a look.