TOM WRIGHT talks CFL FUTURE

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?ID=138257&hubName=cfl]http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?ID ... ubName=cfl[/url]

HAMILTON (CP) - For a change, CFL commissioner Tom Wright and the league's board of governors were able to look ahead to the future and not deal with an immediate crisis.

Wright and the board met Friday, discussing a myriad of subjects that included the dividends of the CFL's investment in its officiating, the use of instant replay for 2006 and the league's continued commitment to continue exploring adding a 10th franchise by the turn of the decade.

''The best part is the time was spent talking about the future and not just 2006 but also the next decade,'' Wright said. ''In the past with our league, we've spent time looking at the past.''

The meeting was Wright's first sit-down session with board members since July when he accepted their offer of a one-year contract extension to end an ugly two months of speculation regarding whether Wright would remain with the league. Back in May, board members gathered via conference call to discuss Wright's future while he was vacationing in France.

Wright wanted a two-year extension but could only get six of the required seven board members to support him. But enough governors favoured a one-year extension with the same conditions of Wright's existing contract, including no increase to his reported $400,000 annual salary.

''I've always said we'd be moving forward,'' Wright said. ''We've put forth an aggressive business agenda and we've got a business to run and that's what I'm focused on doing.''

Wright said the CFL will continue to look at adding a 10th franchise by 2010. He added the league remains open regarding what city the new team would be located in, be it Halifax, Moncton or even Quebec City.

''The key is that this be done right and weve always said that were not going to do it unless it can be done so,'' he said.

Last year during his Grey Cup address, Wright announced the CFL was tripling its investment in its officiating. Wright said 11 new officials have been added this season and that league personnel have seen a marked improvement in how on-field officials have handled games so far.

''We believe it has improved demonstratively,'' he said. ''We think the quality of our calls have increased and yet there has been a 20 per cent reduction in the number of penalties called in games.''

Still, the subject of instant replay remains on the table for CFL governors. Wright said the league's business model for next season includes replay, with a final presentation to be made to governors in January. If the board members vote in favour, then instant replay will be adopted in time for the 2006 season.

As for this year, Wright said attendance is up five per cent across the league, with B.C. (26 per cent increase), Toronto (19 per cent) and Calgary (11 per cent) leading the way. The commissioner also added television ratings are up 33 per cent at TSN (and 48 per cent in the male 19-to-49 demographic) and nine per cent at CBC, an amazing feat considering CBC has broadcast games without the use of commentators as a result of a labour lockout.

As well, Wright said CFL games are being broadcast in 75 million more households abroad this year compared to 2004.

he also said "Drumming_god tells me how to run this league!"

YAH GO CFL!!!!! :smiley:

THANKS.......... GOD , this thread and article

your welcome, hellothere.

i hope when i get into the CFL there will be the 10th team! :smiley:

You could be on that team, mate, you never know. What this "immediate crisis" they are on abou, is that Ottawa?

GO BOMBERS!!!

i would'nt mind playing on the expansion team :smiley: but i wanna play for the argos :smiley: and im only 14 going on 15 November 3, and am a prospect in the JVOVFl and SCOFL leagues! :smiley: You might see my name pop up more often! :stuck_out_tongue:

usually they only meet when the league is going down hill.....this time they meet while things are going good.

good to see things are going well! :smiley: im gonna sleep well tonight! 8)

ME TOO!!!

but we still gotta fix Ottawa. :cry:

But the league is on good ground now, heck, if it wasn't, I wouldn't be a CFL fan now!

GO BOMBERS!!!

stop stressing over ottawa…they’ll be BACK with a VENGENCE next year with 24 000 fans

Well, worst sinario that can happen is that the league will have to meaged Ottawa and Montreal togerther again like in 1987 and 1996 to form the "Ottawa Aloucords" and leave Montreal with no team and another reason for Quebec to secced, plus ruin the propect of a Tenth team in the Atlantics. Thus the league will be balanced at 8 teams again with Cross over.

WHOA! whatever I just smoked is REALLY GOOD!!! but now I'll have ever Montreal and Ottawa fan all over me. I'm sorry guys, I'M SORRY!!!

maybe that why it took Montreal untill 2002 to win the cup again.

I'm really surprised that no one has kick my ass about the post I made above.

All great issues and again TW is doing a great job, but I dont like this expansion now hoped for by 2010. We need a tenth team now, OK maybe by 2007. Lets create a bidding now, to include stadium, fees and move it along.

And this!....Is a very good sign :wink:

LETS HOPE THAT SOME OF THE VFL OWNERS SEE THE LIGHT AND RENEW , WRIGHT'S , CONTACT. :wink:

I hope so too, I hope that the current AFL revices back to the old VFL, brings back Fitzroy, and a new AFL takes stage as the national league with a few teams from all over the land of Aus.

Hey, after he is done as CFL commisser, can Wright come down under and fix Aussie ball in Australia???

seems that you smoked something really good too, HT! :lol:

I'm really surprised that no one has kick my ass about the post I made above.
We forgave you your spelling and grammar long ago ;)
I hope so too, I hope that the current AFL revices back to the old VFL, brings back Fitzroy, and a new AFL takes stage as the national league with a few teams from all over the land of Aus.

Hey, after he is done as CFL commisser, can Wright come down under and fix Aussie ball in Australia???

Give it a rest Kanga, it ain't gunna happen!

There is nothing wrong with the AFL, and resurecting Fitzroy (and I suppose you'd like Sydney to return to South Melbourne too) and retrenching to Victoria will ensure the death of Aussie Rules [NOT Aussie Ball -- no self respecting Aussie Rules fan would call it that].

If such were to happen, there'd be no scope to build a new AFL! Where would the teams come from? Where would they play? Not at any ground that is currently being used by the AFL(VFL) for they've secured the exclusive rights to those grounds for the playing of Aussie Rules to themselves and those that they grant a right too. That's why there was no Super League of Aussie Rules as there was of Rugby League, not that Rupert Murdoch and News Corp didn't try and establish such a league.

And besides with 7,000,000+ fans passing through the turnstiles this year alone for just the AFL, the AFL has never been in a stronger position -- it's been suggested that the next media rights which are currently being negotiated will go for around 135 million Aussie a year, up 35 million on the current deal. Not bad for a country of only 20,250,000.

Me thinks you've been out of touch with the real Australia for far too long - just how often do you get back?