Tom Clements as new head coach

While still in the CFL, Clements pursued a Juris Doctor degree, finally graduating magna cum laude from the University of Notre Dame School of Law in 1986, and, upon the completion of his playing career, he practiced law in Chicago for five years. In 1992, Clements was hired as quarterbacks coach for Notre Dame, where he served until 1995 under head coach Lou Holtz. After again practicing law in 1996, Clements took his first NFL job, working as the quarterbacks coach for the New Orleans Saints from 1997 to 1999. Clements would hold the same job in 2000 with the Kansas City Chiefs and between 2001 and 2003 with the Pittsburgh Steelers; under Clements’s tutelage, the Chiefs’ Elvis Grbac (in 2000) and the Steelers’ Kordell Stewart (in 2001) and Tommy Maddox (in 2002) each reached the Pro Bowl.

In 2004 and 2005, Clements served as offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills, but was released by the team after a front-office shakeup in which Marv Levy, his coach with the Chiefs in 1980, assumed the position of general manager and ultimately installed Dick Jauron as the team’s new head coach. Upon the hiring of Mike McCarthy to be the head coach of the Packers on January 11, 2006, the Packers parted ways with several assistant coaches, and McCarthy later interviewed NFL Europe head coach Steve Logan and Clements before settling on Clements on January 28, 2006.

TC is a terrific idea. Knows the CFL and is a real leader . And a "Home Town" hero.
Hope Obie reads it...save him scratching his head for another 9 mos.

I've often thought Tom Clements would be a great CFL coach. You're right, he has a great resume, especially tutoring QBs successfully. A few things though...

He probably makes more money as a QB coach in the NFL than he would as a head coach here, and he would naturally have legitimate aspirations to become an OC in the NFL again, and coming back to Canada would only sidetrack that. Also, I've seen other posts here over the years by people who have met him and found that he does not seem to remember his CFL time all that fondly. Plus I would hardly call him a Home Town Hero in Hamilton (though he was one of mine). In fact he was booed and harassed unmercifully, and even had his house vandalized when things weren't going well, to the point that this treatment doubtless contributed to his trade to Winnipeg. I'm sorry to say it, but I would think that Hamilton would be the place he remembers least happily from his CFL career.

If he ever does become a CFL head coach, that would be terrific, though unlikely. If it does happen, I doubt that it would be here.

Shocking to read that Ticat fans would do that to one of their own..... :roll:

When will people in this town learn?

No Chance we could Get Tom
He makes Alot Money in the NFL as QB Coach.
He Makes 360,000 in GB as a QB Coach.
Plus has Chance to interview for better NFL Jobs.

He won't not waste his time in the CFL with that kind of money and Opportunity

It's interesting how times have changed, financially speaking. We all know that there was a time when CFL players earned as much as or more than their NFL counterparts. We could still stretch to bring in top NFL players occasionally up to the mid- 70s or so (e.g. Terry Metcalf). No longer.

Same thing is true re. coaches. Their was a time when CFL head coaches were able to move directly to NFL head coaching positions. Bud Grant, Jerry Williams and Marv Levy come to mind. Now, CFL head coaches are drawn away to take positions as assistant coaches at US colleges (Kent Austin), and we can't afford to attract good NFL position coaches like Tom Clements to be head coaches here.

I doubt that, Clements was brutal as the oc in Buffalo and I would not want him. Plus if Rodgers is a bust, which I hope he is, then Clements will be out of a job.

No way in hell Clements would come back to Hamilton after the way he was treated at the end. Besides, he has a pretty good gig as it is in Green Bay.

Oski Wee Wee,

[/quote]
I doubt that, Clements was brutal as the oc in Buffalo and I would not want him. Plus if Rodgers is a bust, which I hope he is, then Clements will be out of a job.
[/quote]
Exactly! He was terrible and they wanted to run him outta town so bad!

Not really, he was the guy in charge of developing Brett Favre's successor. If Rodgers is a bust then Clements will never work in the NFL again.

Werent people throwing things thru his windows the last year he was here.

[/quote]
Exactly! He was terrible and they wanted to run him outta town so bad!
[/quote]
Yep his offence was basically run for 3 yards on first down, run for 1 yard on second, throw a 5 yard pass on third down then punt.

Right. First game is tonight? So my use of the present tense works until 7 p.m. We will see starting around 10:00 or so LMAO :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,