Today marks the one year anniversary of "Two weeks to flatten the curve"

Well, yes and no. Our neighbours were very upset because their daughter, an anti-vaxer refused to have her kids vaccinated against, I think smallpox, and the various childhood diseases. As a result, the school board was denying them admission to school. Don’t know the outcome, but I believe the grandparents spoke up and got the cold shoulder as a result. Don’t know if the youngsters ever got vaccinated or went to school.

But, you make a valid point. For some people vaccination is medically contradicted. But that is a whole separate issue from the conspiracy crowd, IMO.

1 Like

My point about New Zealand was more about what they are doing Now. Handful of cases and BOOM THAT SAME DAY TOTAL LOCKDOWN OF A CITY OF 1.7 MILLION.

compare that to the useless debacle here in Hamilton where 10 days ago friends who work in health care were telling me that variants were rising daily in the city. So what happens 10 days of oh that isn't good with useless public pleas to please stay home. Finally they announce Friday we go back in lo kdown Monday followed by indecipherable gonblygook about it being different more lenient rules this time that nobody can make heads or tails of. I still don't know if I'm expected to open the agency tomorrow.

All I know is compared to Auckland this is utter incompetence and some needlessly will get sick and sadly it is very likely some will die.

2 Likes

Well said Travel Pat, and I have found it ironic for most of my life to observe how nations don’t follow the successful actions of any given other nation on any given issue, and I am not talking a match but any sincere effort of what is shown to be successful, especially when the guidance is FREE.

It’s far more expensive, and are not we all still paying for it despite stimuli, to learn from your own failure than to simply copy and adapt from a successful example.

People often don’t do just that out of pride or ego, and it’s telling when it’s often the same for nations and supposed leadership. I notice also that in this respect, democratically-elected or not does not seem to matter. :roll_eyes:

if only I have been in charge of things 14 months ago.

I could not received my childhood vaccinations until I was about 19 years old because of a blood disorder at birth. Never, ever did one of my schools utter a threat to deny me public schooling and later private school (High School), they didn’t even dare ask why.

My mother would send a letter every year. “You many not vaccinate my child”. That was the end of it. Now we have schools and courts meddling into people’s medical records, parental decisions.

Our freedoms are being destroyed in the name of the “ONE”. This is all bad.

1 Like

You could have commandeered perhaps the Queen Charlotte Islands that are under de facto rule of the descendants of ancient sasquatch. Or so it is told.

Otherwise I would discourage you from running for office for sake of your own sanity, but hey if you are considering a political future now that is not by barbaric conquest of remote territory in BC, have at it.

It’s worse with social media now too with all those socially certified for the pandemic people giving specific medical advice. We have had a few stop by here too.

They have been growing faster than this virus in fact. I feel we need a vaccine for them now too. /Looks in direction of Toronto, San Francisco, Washington DC, Chicago, et cetera

They are seeing record domestic murders in Quebec right now. Lockdowns kill people too. 70 percent of youth is clinically depressed. 20 percent in the high danger scale. People are afraid to leave their home to go get medical treatments for Diabetes, kidney failure, record number of preventable heart attack deaths in the home.

But we don’t have statistics on those. The media too stupid to care.

2 Likes

You know what industry did very well during the pandemic? Crime and I mean first and foremost the sale of illegal or stolen goods!

Of course for all the clamour about energy costs now, insurance rates sure are way up no matter how well you drive or how safe your neighbourhood and so forth.

Here in Pennsylvania we had to tackle anew the next-stage opioid epidemic that was anything but a surprise.

I feel that those who made decisions for onerous lockdowns when they did not need to be as widespread, let alone like here they were poorly enforced even at that especially in the City of Philadelphia as I saw firsthand, did not account for what happens when you leave recovering or recovered addicts at home alone too long let alone folks who had a hard enough time keeping a job.

As many politicians write or rewrite history books as well or the “official” historic narrative, I suspect they will omit discussion of this cost of re-addiction as well as numerous other ancillary and unforeseen costs to society.

I think American authorities coined the term “Acceptable casualties”

Same here, opioid overdoses which were already an issue, just keep going up and up and up since the start of the pandemic.

1 Like

I can think of two prominent dictators in WWII who were fond of such a phrase as well.

Now no way for any of that and we were closer recently with the last guy, but what is in place here in contrast to those WWII examples is supposedly “democracy,” and well I’ll stop there.

1 Like

Heart disease doctors day one have said the over concentration of Covid 19 is dangerous .

Cancer and other disease are not getting diagnosed in time .

Personally I know many with serious issues who are not getting adequate medical attention or prevention care because of covid getting the prioritization over proper due diligence of the medical community .

2 Likes

“What am I signing?”

Don’t concern yourself, just sign there.

1 Like

I have seen this reported both on TV and in the press, Jasmine. But, I personally know three people who have had heart surgery in the past year, two for stents, one for open heart by-pass. For me, I have seen a back surgeon, neurologist, had hernia surgery, two MRIs, a breathing test, and a speech and swallowing assessment. We know at least two others who have had day surgery in the last three months, including cancer excisions.

I wonder if the problem is that people are avoiding visiting the doctor and/or emergency visit for fear that they will not be welcome, or, they fear becoming infected. I honestly have not heard of anyone in an emergency or critical situation being turned away. And I am in the age group that virtually all of our friends and relatives have health issues!

1 Like

It maybe a little of both . Some don’t want to be a bother or take any chances .

I think it also depends on your doctors and how well connected they are to other physicians and the relationships they have created .

Personally my doctors are doing phone in’s only . That is not really a good way to preemptive work .

Same with others I know .

My ex had her operation cancelled . Others I know are back logged .

But my neighbour just had his back surgery . He had to travel a bit but got it done .

1 Like

Admittedly this is just from what I have heard from friends who work in doctors offices and I don't have a study to quote but the overwhelming number of cancellations of appointments or procedures were not because of resources being redeployed for Covid but yes many were. But not nearly has many that were a result of patient generated cancellations over fear of catching Covid.

And I have to wonder had we not abided with rules and lockdown and our Covid results been more inline with our neighbours to the south just think of how much worse all those other illness numbers might have been as even more people would be more reluctant to go anywhere near a doctors office or hospital.

2 Likes

never mind public office, I wanna be extreme ruler :slight_smile:

3 Likes

how would, or did, you feel about when they tried to get a court order to force a young pregnant woman to not continue to do drugs. This I think was in wpg 1 or 2 decades ago. I was in favor of it but it didnt go. wonder what happened to the child.

1 Like

More a case of we as a society decided that. I don’t think we can blame big bad government for that.

1 Like

History teaches us it always gets worse from there too. “You to the left, you to the right” and all that has happened too many times over.

1 Like