To Rehash a similar post...Who has to go!

Who has to go?

I'm against yet another major overhaul so soon. This is a process that's just begun and now you start tweaking here and there because there is a solid core here.

I'd start with the co-ordinators/assistants (especially DC), receivers, and pass rush.

I really believe we have solid QBing, and RBs. Get one or two solid receivers, and a decent pass rush is the best remedy for a poor defensive scheme. I think the secondary would benefit greatly from a new DC and pass rush.

I agree on the co-ordinators.

I think the pass rush would benefit from a decent secondary. We never ever get a cover sack as the opposing QB needs no time at all to find someone open in our secondary. I'd keep McKay over any of the DBs.

Coach T has got to go. I'm sure we are all looking for some continuity, but he seems unable to show even small improvements. We have watched the team impload all year and he hasn't made a move with his coaching staff. He's kept the status quo and that's why it's time to go. Successful coaches know when to make personel changes.

Marcel needs a desk job. I don't want him speaking in public anymore on behalf of the team. Sign some paychecks. Don't let him touch the roster next year. He was hired to clean the house. His services are no longer needed.

Coach T has got to go. I'm sure we are all looking for some continuity, but he seems unable to show even small improvements. We have watched the team impload all year and he hasn't made a move with his coaching staff. He's kept the status quo and that's why it's time to go. Successful coaches know when to make personel changes.

Marcel needs a desk job. I don't want him speaking in public anymore on behalf of the team. Sign some paychecks. Don't let him touch the roster next year. He was hired to clean the house. His services are no longer needed.

I can't say I agree with either of your analogies. We know that Charlie Taaffe knows how to coach. If he made one glaring error, it would have been in the selection of his old American cronies as assistants.
Dump these guys in favour of Canadian co ordinators and I think you'll see much better results.

Marcel has been in a learning curve and by now, I'm sure he knows a thing or two. Another year could and likely will make a lot of difference.

I don't want to see this team panic again right on the heels of a rebuilding job. We need some tweaking here and there from Canadian co ordinators who know this game. We need to learn how to pass block effectively. We need receivers who come back to the quarterback when he is in trouble. We need a strong pass defense and IMHO, this is the most critical point on the list for next year. We need to get away from overusing a three man line on defense, thus allowing the opposing QB a lifetime to find receivers who are always open anyway since we can't defend.

Our coaching philosophy has to change to accommodate all of this, but that is doable with Canadian trained coaches. (Exception: Charlie Taaffe)

I voted for coordinator change. Maciocia if available over Working as OC and Less Browne/Deke McPhee/Dave Easley/reasonable CFL-experienced facsimile as DC (my preferences in that order).

Oski Wee Wee,

rocky123 wrote:We need to learn how to pass block effectively. We need receivers who come back to the quarterback when he is in trouble. We need a strong pass defense and IMHO, this is the most critical point on the list for next year. We need to get away from overusing a three man line on defense, thus allowing the opposing QB a lifetime to find receivers who are always open anyway since we can't defend.

Our coaching philosophy has to change to accommodate all of this, but that is doable with Canadian trained coaches. (Exception: Charlie Taaffe)

rocky: Exception: Charlie Taafe???
Your post reads to me like a condemnation of him. All the problems you have listed ( and many more you have not listed) can be directly blamed on Charlie. He has not corrected the same re-occurring problems all season.

I agree with mr62cats. A coach's job is to win. If not he makes heads roll. Then winning begins...if not his head rolls. That's football past, present, future. Taafe's head must roll. Back to Maryland he goes.

Who has to go?
I do... but I'll be back in just a moment.
rocky123 wrote:We need to learn how to pass block effectively. We need receivers who come back to the quarterback when he is in trouble. We need a strong pass defense and IMHO, this is the most critical point on the list for next year. We need to get away from overusing a three man line on defense, thus allowing the opposing QB a lifetime to find receivers who are always open anyway since we can't defend.

rocky: Exception: Charlie Taaffe.

Your post reads to me like a condemnation of him. All the problems you have listed ( and many more you have not listed) can be directly blamed on Charlie. He has not corrected the same re-occurring problems all season.

Charlie IS the guy to blame for many of our problems, but like Dejardins,, I think he has, by now, figured out the error of his ways.
Charlie is a proven coach with winning records on both sides of the border. He was one of the lucky coaches who came into the CFL for a couple of years and got lucky with Montreal. This being said, he has shown me that he has plenty of coaching abilities.
As mentioned earlier, his mistake lies in too many American assistants that simply don't know enough about our game.
Read the post from Oskie wee wee. He makes some sense of the issue.
Mr62cats: Don't be in too big a hurry to dismiss Charlie. He's been away from our game for a few years, but the man is a winner if we give him some time.
He had virtually nothing to work with this year, but his feet are now firmly planted in Hamilton, and I have every confidence he'll pull us out of the doldrums.
During the off season, I believe you will see coaching changes and some tweaking of player personnel. This should bode well for next year when I am hoping they can win 8 or 9 games.
For now, they need to take tiny steps towards success. :thup:

Rocky123...make me a believer. Give me a list of positive things that Charlie has done this season and perhaps I'll change my view. I can't see one positive move.

this was a learning year they have to get better!They have seen the worst season ever!Now they can give us the best ever or get out of town!

Rocky123:

To me, Charlie is a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand he has a long and pretty good record of coaching even though most of it is not at the CFL level.
But on the other hand we have seen some glaring problems that have not been resolved eg: unimaginative play calling on both sides of the ball, a lack of discipline that has cost hundreds of lost yards and some questionable trades. I could go on.The upshot though is that over the entire season there has been no real improvement at the team level (2-15) despite some great individual effort on the part of a handful of players and a very capable new QB.
All this looks to me like Charlie is running a slack ship. If they have decided to go with so many new, young players as part of a strategy, then the coaching needs to be demanding and tough. I have not seen that. And the fact remains that this team is playing below the level of other CFL teams.
So when it comes to Charlie I am see-sawing between "he doesn't really have it" and "well this is a re-build and its tougher to do than anyone thought." Right now I am leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt and have him continue next season...unless there is no improvement again by September.
But when it comes to the assistant coaches....they have to go. There has to be an investment made in some aggressive new co-ordinators with CFL experience and some head coaching potential. Other teams have done it.
One good thing I have seen is that Scott Mitchell seems to be well aware of the coaching problems facing this team going by the comments he made in a recent interview in a Vancouver newspaper.
As for Marcel....good and bad.
Looks like Scott Mitchell will have some tough decisions to make soon.

2 wins,( credit Lumsden and Williams) and no wins on the road,NOT ACCEPTABLE. - I was willing to subjegate to Taaffs program, in june, BUT couldnt help wondering WHY he was tampering with Pro QB,S footwork, to suite his "west coast Offence"- ( he proved Timing play,s alone Dont work in 3 down football,(note- passroutes in American football differ from pass routes in Canadian football, this confusion was evident ALL season.--Then they sign Printers and Taaffe lets him play sandlot ball,gambling on 3rd and long ???- IS Bob Obilavich(sp) available??

(Mr62Cats To me, Charlie is a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand he has a long and pretty good record of coaching even though most of it is not at the CFL level. But on the other hand we have seen some glaring problems that have not been resolved eg: unimaginative play calling on both sides of the ball, a lack of discipline that has cost hundreds of lost yards and some questionable trades. I could go on.The upshot though is that over the entire season there has been no real improvement at the team level (2-15) despite some great individual effort on the part of a handful of players and a very capable new QB.
You and I share identical thinking on the subject of Charlie Taaffe, Mr62Cats. I too, am in a dilemma regarding his future here, and it is only due to his past record that I would say, give him another year, but get rid of the coordinators. I enjoyed your post.

Darrell Adams

I think some are forgetting that it took a very long time to get Charlie here as coach.

Thus Taaffe was limited in the amount of coordinators available to him.

I think one thing that many fail to realize is that football is football. Calling for a guy that has CFL experience is short sighted. The right football mind might have some growing pains but will adjust with the aid of CFL players to make the right call.

I honestly believe we have seen that with Working. I don't think OC is a problem. I think the execution of the plays called is the problem.

DC is the problem area. Too many soft zones, and too much miscommunication. Honestly people say we need new DB's because ours are horrible. HAs anyone sat back and realized that we have gone through too many db's for them all to be that bad.

(scotty dog) DC is the problem area. Too many soft zones, and too much miscommunication. Honestly people say we need new DB's because ours are horrible. HAs anyone sat back and realized that we have gone through too many db's for them all to be that bad.

We are fans; not coaches. As fans, we realize that we have a serious problem on defense.

this problem is the result of one or many aspects of our defensive scheme. It may be that our secondary can't cut the mustard. It may be that all or part of our defensive line can't get the job done or it may be that our DC isn't right for the job. I've got my money on the DC first, followed by the secondary. Del Gardo was pathetic in the BC game. He was getting beat all day, but luckily, came up with a pick late in the game. He and all of our defenders appear to give the receivers far too much field. Its up to Taaffe to figure out the problem areas and eliminate them.

You may have a point when you say that Taaffe's late arrival didn't give him access to the best coordinaters. I guess we'll find out if this is true next year; won't we?

This being said, I think we need some pass receivers who play disciplined football and run their designated patterns. Some of our crew is improving in this area, but much work remains in this area too. Our offensive line can not pass block!

Well the axe has fallen. First the coordinators, then Dejardins. As Agatha Christie once wrote..."and then there was one." In this suspensful tale poor Charlie waits and waits. Lurking is every losing head coach's worst nightmare...a new GM. The right decision will be made and the title of our story will soon read.."And then there was none." Sounds like a bestselling body of work to me. The writing is on the wall so to speak.