Timmy Chang

I'm looking at this guy come in, and wow, this guy can throw a bullet! I'm liking what I see, and I'm not even a Ti-Cat fan!

You guys thinking the same things?

Edit: Of course, you speak too soon, and he throws some incompletions and an interception. Well, I'll go back to the Rider forums, then.

Im on the same page as you...I really like Timmy ( The Gun ) Change....

IF YOU EVER WATCHED HIM PLAY FOR YOU UH THAN YOU KNOW HE'S A GUNNER,...ANYONE DOWN FOR NEW QUARTERBACK TO LEAD THEM TO THE GREY CUP. WITH THIS NEW TEAM AND NEW COACH, I THINK THE TEAM DESERVES A NEW QUARTERBACK, AND IM NOT EVEN FROM CANADA. IM JUST A FAN THAT WENT TO THE SAME HS AS CHANG. GIVE HIM A CHANCE.. HE AINT NO ROOKIE ANYMORE. HE NEVER WAS I THINK HE SHOULD START NOW. HAMILTON DOES NOT NEED TO LOSE TO GIVE AN OLD QUARTERBACK (MAAS) A CHANCE. HE NEEDS TO HEAL. CHANG BETTER START. K BYE

I was at the game so I didn't see a replay of Chang's INT. But from where I was sitting, it looked like the gut that intercepted the ball climbed a step ladder to get to it. That guy has one helluva vertical jump.

I really think Chang put the ball where he needed to, he just didn't expect anyone to jump that high.

typing in all caps is very bad net etiquette… work on that.

This guy is exciting!

What he does that Maas doesn't....move the pocket. This is so important!

He's got a great arm.

He gets rid of the ball quickly.

He has run this type of offence before, so he knows it. Maas is still learning it. Says it takes 3 years....Come on!

Chang is no rookie...he does have some pro experience. Taaffe likes him. An Edmonton pick. Nuff said. No teams have enough tape on this guy. Start him nown and he will surprise many teams = WINS!

This is exactly the kind of thing that happens in the NFL when a WCO-style timing offense is put into place. The gestation period for a QB to truly arrive in such a system is about three years, provided the receiving corps is solid enough to run precise routes and gain an affinity with the pivot in question.

Some QBs never can make the transition into that kind of timing system. Vinny Testaverde is a perfect example of this.

Chang's run-and-shoot/spread/Hawaaiian Punch offense had many of those timing elements. However, it is built upon the QB being mobile enough (whether finding time in the pocket or rolling out) to create on the fly once the play begins to break down. He has had years in that system to develop the improvisational skills to make big plays on the run.

You have to be decisive in running any kind of timing offense re ball distribution. One has to have the arm strength to put the ball into seams in the 10-20 yard range to stretch the defence and help establish the run game. It means a flatter plane. Chang seems to have a lot more gas on his ball that Maas does for that task, going by what I saw last night.

Chang's footwork is very good, IMO. He should be able to adapt to Taaffe's system because he's had timing issues to work with under June Jones in Hawaii. His learning curve is certainly not as steep as Jason's in that regard.

Oski Wee Wee,

It may take a while, but im not even a tiger cat fan, but i can tell u that this kid is for real! Just check out some numbers from college:
-17 087 career passing yards. That is amazing considering that if he started all four seasons, he was averaging 4 272 yards a season!! Which is even more amazing considering there are only 12-14 games played a season (12 games=356 yards a game, 14 games=305 yards a game).

• Second all time with 120 touchdowns (one short of the record)

-most passes completed without an interception (80)

-Most plays from scrimmage (2 587) (which shows he is durable).

These are pretty amazing numbers. Its hard to believe that the NFL teams cut him, did they not see how you can zip the ball into such a small opening? It might take awhile for him to pick up the 12th man in the cfl, but he will be an all star in this league.

p.s once again, the cfl has given an oppurtunity to a guy who had his other footballing days snuffed in the nfl.

But we can't start him --- it would be too much of a gamble. He could struggle. We could lose. We could have trouble scoring. We can't risk it --- we can't risk playing poorly and losing --- we have to stick to Maas and the exciting, high-scoring, winning offense. If Chang had played all game yesterday we might have lost.

:rockin:

I like Maas, but I don't think that he's 100% and I'm thinking we're probably going to lose this next game anyway if he starts because he can't throw the way he should. So why not start Chang the and see what happens?

start timmy chang, promote him and market him, they could even have hula hawaii nights at ivor wynne. Sign mookie mitchell to help out the WRs, because the only veteran WR is Brock Ralph and he's garbage---- pure rubbish.

What the heck are you talking about? Did you watch a different game than I did last night? Maas was in and there definetly was ZERO high scoring offense. Chang is the now and he needs to play!

It doesn't bother me. Are your ears really that sore?

Maas was so bad, that we would have had a better chance if Corey Holmes was QB, at least Holmes could have ran the option play.

:rockin: :rockin:

I just have this to say Timmy still got us to the red zone and would have scored if he didn't get robbed.

NEXT TIME PUT THE BALL IN THE HANDS OF THE GUY WITH A HEALTHY ARM.

I saw the replays. It would have been a touchdown had the DB not jump up to get the int... because the WR was open. Chang definitely has poise. There were a couple of situations when the rusher was running at him and he just stood there and threw the ball. Other QBs would have panicked and started running with the ball for a small gain or a sack.
But i say, we need to be patient with him. Give Chang some time to get adjusted to the new league and new rules and defensive strategies.

I don't know, the way I remember it, he wasn't exactly robbed; it wasn't the best throw. And let's not forget the previous play when he was in the clear and could have run probably for a TD. A little bit of nerves perhaps.

I saw a reply of this play too (from the QB's point of view). There was a defender running along the goalline waiting for Chang. (The TV announcers didn't see him). Had Chang decided to run for the goalline he would have been tackled at the 7-8 yard line.
What people didn't see was the WR being held/bumped by the DB when he turned around to run towards the sideline. Chang was anticipating this and threw the ball to a spot the WR would have been.