timmy chang let go by winnipeg

re" Are there 10 quarterbacks in the CIS?" Yes elCapitan there are at least ten CIS qb,s who could have done better than Chang in the time he was in the CFL. WHAT a WASTE of TALENT!!! IMHO cant waite to see the next ncaa boy wonder to flop in the PRO,s :roll: :twisted:

Thats a ridiculous statement. The coaching these QBs receive in the CIS isnt even comparable to what they get in the NCAA. To say these CIS QBs would adjust to the pro game fast is just wrong.

Timmy Chang and all the other ncaa QB,s who have come to the cfl , while NO CIS qb,s are given the chance to develope,is discrimination . Porter, And Williams will make it but thats about a 1 in ten ratio who do, The same would occur with the top CIS qb,s , Not all will be able to move to the next level, But it could produce a few quality Nonimport QB,s IF they were given the Chance that Chang did get. Football is a team sport, all teams are a little different and players to, so it comes down to Chemistry as well.imho

If your serious about that statement…which somehow I doubt you are. How about you name whom you think from the CIS could have outperformed Chang.

Darn few could, I suspect. Over the years, since the Russ Jackson and Frank Cosentino eras, I can think of a couple of good CIS Qbs... Jamie Bone and Greg Vavra. I think these players were as good as Chang and many others who did make it and last on CFL teams.

One reason they didn't is maybe they weren't as good as the other QBs on their teams.

Another is the way the ratio does not apply to QBs. It discriminates in favour of Canadians at other positions, but it also has an element of discrimination against Canadians who play QB. CFL active rosters are made up of 20 Canadians, 19 imports, and three QBS to whom the ratio does not apply. I have never understood why the ratio requirement makes an exception for QBs, why they are a separate category altogether. The way it is, there is no incentive for a coach (who is probably an American and used to players from that country with NCAA training) to consider a CIS QB. I don't advocate reserving a roster spot for a Canadian QB, but I do think there should be no special category for QBs. Just have two categories, Imports and Non-Imports, equally applicable to all positions. That way, if a coach has a very good Canadian QB, he can keep him and make use of the Import at another position.

Even if they said 20 Canadians and 22 Imports total, the Canadian QB would have a better chance than he does now. Personally, I'd still want the total roster to be at least 50% Canadians, and I'd like to see smaller rosters than we have now too, but that's another matter...

Great pictures It was all timmy,s fault :oops:

I think Teale Orban could have been a third string qb in this league. He already knows all the rules and exploitations of the Canadian game, he could prob teach a few things to chang, even at this point in their careers.

I seriously doubt that there have been any QBs in the CIS in the last 20 years who had the ability to play in the CFL, at least certainly not start or backup. Mind you, I could have been fourth stringer , cause if you are no. 4, the only way you are going to play is if there is some act of God that wipes out the first two.

Lets imagine you take some guy out of a good senior hockey league, even a really good player and drop him at centre ice on an NHL team. The guy may be a good beer league player, but in the bigs, he's out of his league...The CIS player cannot, in general, compare to a NCAA player...the skill level is immeasurably higher, the players bigger and faster, and the intensity and opposition level is a world apart from the CIS. On a CIS team you might have 3 or 4 players with CFL or NFL potential, on an NCaA team, there are at least 20. There are at least 50 NCAA QBs, who fail to find a job in the NFL who might want a place here, and each of these kids are better trained, better coached, bigger, faster, and have had the advantage of playeing in the pressure cooker of the NCAA.

The Poor CIS kid from Moosejaw, or Chicoutimi or Burlington doesn't stand a chance.

Sorry but some of these are really histarical. If CIS can produce players like Lumsden,Oshae,ETC then why cant it produce a QB, THE truth is they are never given the Chance Chang GOT. Orban,is just one, Dont forget footballl is a team sport so other qb,s are being overlooked because their teams are not contenders. which is really disterbing, because of the way the CFL is so adapt at finding Quality players in the ncaa,who are over looked by the nfl. Give these QB,s like Sacobie, or "Quarterback Benoit Groulx, a Hec Crighton nominee for top Canadian player, dissected the Calgary secondary early and often.

Groulx went to work on the first play of scrimmage, hooking up a long gain with receiver Mathieu Bouvette. Groulx then scampered three yards for the touchdown."

[url=http://www.thefulcrum.ca/sports/cis-quarterbacks-face-great-hurdles-cfl-career]http://www.thefulcrum.ca/sports/cis-qua ... cfl-career[/url]

Hey…I think that Timmy got more chances than he deserved, but are you going to tell me that Obie or Popp or Wally are overlooking a talent out there just because of his NI status…?

Jesse and Oshea and a few others were the EXCEPTIONS…even then, neither were able to make it down south and Jesses lack of coaching is very apparent when you watch him play. Trust me, with at least 4 teams out there looking for QBs…if there were any great prospects out there, the GMs wouldn’t care if they came from Kamloops or Kazakhstan.

re-Als4ever- That is what im saying, Wally has stated he would rather pick a qb from ncaa just because its the ncaa. This seems logical they have bigger programs,SO why bother searching for the 10 prospects the CIS produces? CFL gm,s and system (ratio rules) allow for this . there are plenty of NCAA qb,s so they dont bother (but for the od token cis invite) -.just look at the Reception Orban recieved in Sask when he took a few snaps, WHO would CFL fans rather watch or follow their progress ,Orban (who is NOT the top cis QB prospect btw ) or Chang ?

I really enjoyed seeing the riders use Orban durin TC. At one point during a home exhibition game they were using an all Canadian/Saskatchewan backfield with orban, szarka, Hughes, and foord. It was amazing to see since you rarely get that anymore, and for the limited amount of snaps that they played together, people loved it and were cheering louder than they did all game. I'm not saying that it could work during regular season or anything, but it sure was a great moment for sask football.

lol…maybe 1, the guy in Ottawa who set all kinds of CIS records. Remember against Mac he threw for about 800 yards.
But he won’t even get a chance in the CFL unless he plays a different position. He probably had more talent at QB than any other in the CIS. All the rest have this tendancy just to throw down field and hope the receiver comes up with it.

As long as we have the “Candadian content” rule a Canadian QB will never get a chance. Teams reserve positions such as OL and the backup defensive linemen and the Canadian receiver positons. Teams are reluctant to give up one of these Canadian positions and have a Canadian QB.