Time to up the Ante for McKenzie

It is looking like Mo Lloyd is outa here. He knows B.C. is interested, is obviously waiting until they are in a position to make an offer, then good by Sask. Time to seal a deal with McKenzie and other free agents who the Riders are waiting on until they see how much Mo would cost. Cut the ties and move on. 1 player is holding this whole free agent thing up for ransom. Watching Shaw cable 10 at the end of last year, when the players were cleaning out their lockers, they interviewed Lloyd, asked him if he wanted to return, and he took the long way around saying not before testing free agency. I had a feeling at that time he was gone. Time to move on and secure the other Defensive free agents before the Esk's and Hall come calling also. We have to remember that Sask. is the least desirable place to play in the league, city and things for young guys to do wise. When your comming out of college and have a pocket full of money, in relation to what you were use to spending, do the 30,000 fans really matter, when you just finished 4 years of playing in front of 65,000. Not likely, it's more of how many nightclubs and chicks are out there. Get the rest of the D signed up before they get lured away by other teams after free agency, and whatever is left for Mo he can take it or leave it.

If that comes to pass, who'll play the middle? Might they look at moving Anton inside, or perhaps try Kitwana Jones at MLB?

MY theory is (just a theory) Williams was re-signed because they want him to take over Anton's job and the money they will save on Anton can go toward a super contract for Mo. And then hopefully Sean wants to sign a non greedy contract and we're set

That's a possibility......................

If Lyodd doesnt resign i would put Jones in the middle Anton at weakside and put williams at strong side but if Lloyd signs i would put jones at weak side Llyod in middle and Williams at strong side

That does have some impact. Bigger cities certainly have more of a night life and I think Regina is the only city in the league that does not have “stripper bars” which are very popular with young athletes (and young athletes are very popular with strippers). A friend of mine in TO would take me a stripper bar near his home when I visited him and the place was frequented by a lot of Argonauts.

No team in the CFL can talk to potential free-agents till the middle of February and if they do and are found out, there can be serious consequences for the team that does. They may be chatting “unofficially” but that is a very risky thing for them to do.

The 'riders will announce more signings as time goes on and I think most of the ones the 'riders want back will be resigned and announced over time to get maximum press converage.

There is actually unofficial news on both Anton and Maurice on their respective facebook fanclubs:

[url]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=26544057227[/url] - Anton McKenzie Fan Club - On his wall he has more or less confirmed he is not coming back to the Riders this season

[url]http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39737083112[/url] - Mauric Lloyd Fan Club - As of Jan 12 it seems he's seeing if any NFL clubs are going to pick him up (again based on a wall posting)

interesting interesting... makes me think RW will take over for anton, and the money saved from anton will go to a $135k ++ contract for mo should he not go to an nfl team.

Initially I was hoping to see McKenzie return but if he’s jumping ship, for whatever reason, I would prefer to see that money funnelled into keeping Lloyd. Though, honestly, with the looming deadline I’m getting antsy about Lloyd. It could be they’re still in contract negotiations but I’m getting the feeling he said what he did on his fanpage to placate us so he could see what was offered by other CFL clubs.

the way i look at it, we need to hang on to one of them (Lloyd )
I know every athelete has the right to test free agency, I hope they give us the opportunity to match what ever offer is out there.
Is there a possiblilty they will go south??
Im very surprised the amount of players getting and signing NFL contracts.

Yes, quite decent possibility.

Maurice wrote at 2:12pm on January 12th, 2009 AS FAR AS OF NOW MY AGENT AND ET HAS BEEN COMMUNICATING AND HOPEFULLY I CAN LET YOU ALL KNOW MORE. RIGHT NOW WHAT I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT I AM JUST WAITING TO SEE IF ANY NFL TEAMS WILL CALL BACK. WE HAVE HAD SOME CONTACT WITH A COUPLE OF TEAMS BUT WE SHALL SEE WHAT HAPPENS. HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU ALL AND I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED IF ANYTHING CHANGE OR COME UP.

oh no

funny i havent heard many stampeders going south, lol

More than the Riders.

Charleston Hughes signed down south