Time to talk some SMACK

What the hell does the 'beauty' of your city have to do with the price of rabbit milk?

RedandWhite, if you were unsure, playing a nice city with good weather is a factor in many players' decisions of where to play. Didn't think it was that difficult of a concept to understand/

cut the sarcasm, it doesn't behoove you.......

your concept is naive....sure its a nice bonus to play in a subtropic zone but if your logic held true then the only professional sports played would be the Vancouver Football League and the Southern California Professional Basketball assocaition, and the Florida Major League Baseball League. Players do not, repeat DO NOT, say "oh, the temperature in Vancouver is so, well, temperate that Mr. Agent you have to get me there, irregardless of any other factors!"

Examples of players who could play anywhere but opt to play in 'non-beautiful' cities: Brent Farve, Steve Yzerman, Mario Lemeiux

For that matter, I seriously doubt your new turf was that BIG a deal in landing recent players either. What the Lions DO have is a solid front office and an exceptional man in Buono, and THAT will attract players, not whether they can sip their daquiri's on the patio at night....

And while we're sparring, how bout this:

Jul 29 BC 27 Cal 24
Aug 12 Cal 35 BC 21
WSF Cal 29 BC 27
GC Cal 24 Mtl 21

lol, don't offer to put me up on your couch RLR for the WSF and the GC, my cousin has a place in Deep Cove......

"I seriously think us getting the new Field Turf at BC Place makes the Lions an even more attractive destination for players to come. Now we can bank on more than the fact that we have a great team and a beautiful city"

Did I ever say the climate or turf was the only reason players come here? Read the damn post before you reply with such verbal diarrhea. Looks like you spent all that time trying to make me look stupid, when I guess it backfired buddy.

pffft, RLR go back and reread your own damn posts, besides, I wasn't attempting to make you look stupid, I was putting forward an argument to your claims, which refuted what you were saying, if you can't handle that kind of mental sparring then dont' start posts titled 'let the smack begin' or whatever it says because you are obviously too sensitive to handle the critique.

You claimed that the natural beauty of Vancouver was a significant factor in many players decision to come to the Lions. I say significant because you listed only:

a) Great Team
b) New Turf
c) Beautiful City

That's it RLR, three factors. And my argument to you was only ONE of those factors could really be considered as legit, the other two were NOT factors in players decisions but merely nice perks of the main reason.

Now that I've clarified my argument to you, and please anyone else in this forum tell me if I've treated MR. RLR as mentally challenged, if you have a good retort to this position I'd like to hear it.

Let's make this short and sweet:

There is no rational or reasonable way you can argue against my point that climate and field have something to do with players' decisions of where to play. Are you in the CFL? Did you hear the interviews from the Lions players and of Buono after the news that the Lions purchased Field Turf? Did you play on the old turf?

I am not in the CFL. However, I trust what the players say. So many players, be it in the CFL or NHL, love Vancouver and make their home there. Sure, the team and money they are going to pay the players are probably the most important factors, but it can't hurt to have a beautiful city and great turf. I myself have spoken to some of the Lions and Canucks, and they enjoy and love Vancouver just as much as I do.

While in your opinion the beauty and turf are not important factors, your conclusions are based on your own opinion. And unfortunately, it matters very little in the grand scheme of things. Sure, you'll find players who play in Detroit, Chicago, etc. But this takes nothing away from the fact that a number of players enjoy the second highest rated city in the world.

Hey Roar, not that I agree or disagree with what you and Red have been debating, but I guess since the Bombers have something like 6 or 7 ex Stamps, Winnipeg must be a more beautiful city then Calgary, hahaha

Anyway, what can you tell me about Spurgeon Wynn, does this guy have an upside or potential to be a starter in the league, he must have thought Winnipeg was most beautiful as well, haha.

he's got some talent, he played in the NFL, or at least went down, and thats worth something. he played second string ahead of casey printers last year, but he wasnt that good. most importnantly, he's got alot of experience for his age, which is something winnipeg will value, and more than likely will be their starter

RLR, your turn to go back and reread my damn posts....

I didn't disagree that place and field were not factors, I disagreed with your opinion that they were HIGH factors in where a player chooses to ply his trade. So in that case I have a very rational postion to take.....

Besides, I pointed out the MAIN reason a player might choose was because of wally and his crew, which is a compliment to the Lions, and something you totally ignored in your over-the-top reaction to my side of the argument.........you're welcome anyway and because my opinion in your world means very little in the grand scheme of things you'll understand then where your opinions rank in mine. Good day sir

Esk, I really cant see any of the Bomber qbs wrestling the number one job from Glen but its nice to know that Surgeon can come in if needed. You have to understand that the Bomber organization felt confident enough in Glenns ability to let Jones go, basically they have tied their cans to him if you like and Daly loves the guy. Glen will be number in Winnipeg even if he struggles at times, he is going to be given every opportunity to prove that management made the right decision.

I agree, Glenn's your #1 guy, the others are backup for injury and fourth quarter who-cares-who's-in-now situations

Maybe they can give Dennis Gile a run for the most enthusiastic player award?! :slight_smile:

Redandwhite: As the great Johann von Goethe once said "There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action". Thank you very much for frightening me and the other posters on this board with your ludicrous comments. I hope that we can put this behind us, as I believe it was a big misunderstanding. Let's trashtalk with our hometown teams: your Stamps versus my Lions.

About Spergon Wynn, that was a nice pick-up for the Bombers. He certainly isn't going to hurt you guys, and I hope he gets some playing time. He was pretty decent out in BC when he got a chance, be it late in the game in a blowout, or for an injury. He's a really nice guy, and a class act. He's also got good size and strength. I wish him the best in Winnipeg, and I hope you Bomber fans enjoy his presence.

man Spergion Wynn is a pretty damn good third string qb... i mean the guy must have had 20-40 yards rushin last year on just third and 1 qb sneaks... the guy is a tank for a qb... and by the way i live in Kelowna and was wonderin if anyone can get me a cheap ticket to Vancouver for the GC, id love to be at that game, and the Lios are goin ALL THE WAY!!!... RedandWhite, id just like to say that i think that RLR overreacted at first but u dragged that on way longger then u needed to, also id just like to point out that our lios kicked ur guyses butts in the standings last year... i personally blame ur offence for the absolute garbage of ur record

Everyone is talking about how the Stamps are going to be so improved this year. When you finish 4-14 in the previous year, with the lowest points scored in the league, it can't get much worse. Or can it?

not with a D like they got and the talent they aquired on Offence... i think there offence will be almost respectable this year and theyre D will bail them out into roughly a 6-12 to 8-10 but i think thats the best they can hope for this year

We shall see boys, improving on a 4-14 record shouldn't be too much of a stretch and I think Wiggy ccan squeeze out a little more than 6 to 8 wins, but time will tell. Our D is more or less intact from last year and yes they were perhaps the only thing worth tuning in for. On paper the O has definately improved but will they gel?

RLR, bygones bygones, we will spar more, maybe on this subject, certainly others.....how do you see your QB controversy affecting the gel'g of your O?

BTE I can’t deny the standings were what they were but c’mon, ‘kicked our ass’??? Of the three games played BC took the series 2 games to 1. But the score in two of those three games was less than a field goal apart and the other game was won by one touchdown. Wins yes but certainly not an ass-kicking…

[color=darkred]RoarLionsRoar, I don't really want to bring back the argument you had with RedandWhite, but there something I'd like to point out.

Everytime an important player joins a team, a speech text is given to him. He has to say in press conference, in interviews or in press releases what his agent tell him to say. These speeches are generally aproved by the GMs who signed the new players. This is why some players who might have never heard of a city or the CFL itself always have something nice to say about how happy they are of becoming part of such a prestigious organisation and how they look forward to add to the history-rich franchise and blahblahblah.

In some occasion, management will ask the agent to tell his star to say something that would add credibility to a recent decision. They could have to say something nice about a new coach, a new field, a new approach to football... a new turf, I guess.

So it really is not necessarily because the turf is great that a player will say the turf is great. And the city that just given you a contract is always beautiful. I have already heard athletes say how happy they were to go in such a beautiful sity such as Detroit. Can anyone be as gullible as that?
color]

Third and Ten, I understand your logic, but I am talking more in the context of out of press conference dealings. My brother and I are pretty good friends with 90% of the BC Lions, and all they can say is how much they love Vancouver and want to stay. I know that people usually like where they play best, but many times players want out for various reasons. I have stood on the old BC Place turf and let me tell you, it is horrendous. I think you are underestimating the impact that this new turf will have on the players, fans, etc. It is a big deal in lessening injuries for players, as well as aesthetically pleasing for the fans. It makes BC Place a very legitimate stadium once again.