Time to move the command centre

I think it’s high time to move the command centre out of the east and to a western location. I’m thinking it would be more viable in Calgary. Or even Winnipeg , a central location. They need to spread the cfl around where it counts more, no sense rewarding a city that has no fans support for the game. The command centre would serve the cfl and most of its fan far better if it were in a location where most of the fan support is.

2 Likes

IMHO, The Command center is now interfering with the game.
The OTT/ MTL game was a debacle on the "high hit" over-ruling which paused the game for over 5 minutes.
If the on field official that threw the flag who was on the field looking at the play and saw what he considered a high hit penalty, which is a judgement call, how can the Command Center over rule what that ref saw??
Using the command center on scoring plays is fine, or if a coach challenges is also fine, but over ruling a call that a ref felt was a penalty and take 5 minutes to find a reason they feel it wasn't is not good
The Command center should be a tool to help a ref, not an eye in the sky to over rule judgement calls by a ref

10 Likes

It's much like challenges and reviews in general: sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice it's making the game far less exciting.

Part of me wants to just bin the whole thing and go back to living with bad calls and moving on. Terribly blown calls like the missed safety in the Ottawa game make me glad for video review, but most of the time I don't like it.

Having said that, and getting back to the OP, I don't see how the location of the command centre matters. But I wouldn't mind the league HQ and everything moving to Winnipeg. There are 4 teams further west and 4 teams further east, and the Bombers have a history in both divisions. Could likely save on rent, too. :grinning:

3 Likes

Yeah! Let's follow the SCTV migration from the late 70's!

SCTV started out at Global TV in Toronto but eventually moved production to CITV Edmonton.

"CFL HQ is on the air!" :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

What they need is a time limit - like searching for a ball in golf. Once the review starts they have 2 minutes to change the call or they go with the call on the field.

3 Likes

IMHO, Let the on field Officials make their penalty call as they see it
If a Coach believes the penalty call is wrong, they can Challenge it
Then it is up to the Command Center to rule in a timely manner

2 Likes

I like that. Whatever goes on something has to change. That looked so bush league to end a close game with officiating in the spotlight rather than football......

The other way is - do away with command centre and go with a single off field official that can show the replay to the on field crew via the stadium display and assist with rulings. The onfield guys get more information to add to what they had and you get the right ruling far more quickly.

2 Likes

Exactly. Get rid of the command centre and let the referees call the game, They are starting to affect the out come of games to their own liking. Which is a bad idea.

They should then be able to challenge the command centre ruling. And send it to a referees trio , somewhere. Where will it end. Just let the referees call the game, no more challenges no command centre, it’s getting to be to much control. Have 2 additional referees in the stands or up in the both if that helps. No need for challenges and command centre.

1 Like

Being an old timer I grew up with players making mistakes and referees making mistakes. We’re all human and it’s part of the game. If a ref blows a call it sure makes for interesting pro and con talk at the pub after the game!

3 Likes

I still like the transparency of the Rugby model. Involve the on field guys, step through the play and let everyone hear how the decision is made.

That alone takes it from this mysterious "command centre" to guys watching and saying why the decision is what it is and by what rule.....

1 Like

I'd like that but afraid it would slow things down even more. Right now it takes too long to do their coin flip. If they actually had to give a logical reason the games would be 5 hours long.

4 Likes

I don't know if you follow rugby but the fast play version is League. Although it was a little clumsy at first, they now use an indexed system for cameras so they can get to the moment they want to see and then step through all the angles available for the best angle.
By the end of the first season it was taking 30 seconds to decide. Video guy has what they want to look at queued by the time they want to look, best angle, run through, and discuss, done....
It is way way way faster than the reviews the CFL uses and it involves an off field official and the on field referee. Which means calls are consistent with how the game is being called.

3 Likes

Sounds great. What are the chances the CFL would do it?

1 Like

I don't know but I sure wish they would look at it. Rugby League is the quick version of rugby and the off field guys catch stuff so fast now it doesn't slow the game much at all.

1 Like

What is wrong with the fandom in Toronto anyway? Get out and support the team. Great history and if they don't want to show up move them elsewhere. BTW, move the Command Center to Yellowknife. That's where they belong.

Well at least that far north cooler heads would prevail...

2 Likes

It would be so much easier to go to a single off field official with replay using the Stadium display and a consensus between the off field and on field officials......

Let the league make "torte" decisions on rulings and then amend the rules to make rules clear or define what they want from officials.

And if needed the Supreme Court of Canada could weigh in with a Constitutional Amendment concerning beverage allotment.

1 Like