Tim Leiweke states T.O NFL dreams are dead

Leiweke story in the Star states that a NFL team for Toronto will never happen. It’s a dead issue. Funny when some media hack writes about Toronto getting a NFL team someone always posts it on here. Now that a major player states it’s never going to happen, it’s only fair that this now gets posted. NFL in TO dead issue

3 Likes

Leiweke should know. He was brought in by MLSE to head up the bid to buy the Bills from the Wilson(s)

1 Like

Interesting comments by him for sure. I would say he's dead on, absolutely no way can Toronto build an NFL calibre stadium.

1 Like

The NFL to Toronto dream has barely been alive for about 15 years now. Even then it' been a weak pulse

1 Like

The dismal crowds drawn by the Argos would scare me away from such an investment. Once the novelty wears off (& it would, quickly, new franchises usually don't fair well for a number of years) you'd be back to a totally inadequate number of hardcore fans. Don't forget NFL players/coaches salaries are several times that of a CFLer. It would be a financial disaster waiting to happen.

2 Likes

It’s not that Toronto can’t build an NFL caliber stadium, the problem is the NFL expects taxpayers to pay for it …

2 Likes

Of course why wouldn’t they if taxpayers are willing to pay for it. :wink:

Lieweke has always been good at giving a lot to the interviewer .

He spills it . The value of a franchise being near 5 billion without a stadium is the deal breaker .

If there was an owner that could afford that price tag on a franchise the stadium would be built billions or not .

Unlike with CFL issues and getting stadiums for expansion it appears new NFL stadiums getting built seems to be the easy part of the equation .

I would say even the low return MLS has no problems getting stadiums built .

OK I admit it - who else took a glance at the thread title and thought...

Terrell Owens' NFL comeback dreams are dead? It must be a slow news day - in another exclusive, the sky is still blue.

Then I actually read the body of the post and realised it was about Toronto.

1 Like

As an Argo season ticket holder since 1987, all I can say is Amen. But MLSE will keep undermining the Argos anyway.

1 Like

He seems to be into building sports venues.
Maybe the CFL should try to partner with him and see if there is any chance in heck for a maritime stadium or Calgary/Montreal stadium for CFL and other events.

2 Likes

wasnt it already dead way before now?

well, I thought it was Tony Orlando.

1 Like

When did that Dawn on you?

2 Likes