TILLMAN!!!

I hope he's like me right now, and he's suffering from a cold and keeping himself heavily medicated, and that's why he's not making any sense...

...if that's not the case, then maybe he's slipping into dementia a lot sooner than more...

…dont’ blame the league, they were in pretty heavy in trying to stop the Gretzky trade to L.A.

Obviously, you are! :lol: :cowboy:

you are correct, it was 34… still… how does that ‘1 year’ change what I was saying?
I still maintain that if your team had been smarter they would have done the same thing that the Esks (and Als, and Argos, etc) were doing.

It’s like being on the autobahn and you’re getting mad at the Porsches that passed you while you kept driving a VW Beetle with bad sparkplugs and bald tires.

you know, you can all go to ....

there's a definite gang mentality here, one person says something that some don't like or agree and you all jump on him like it's a drug and the in thing to do! doesn't matter if it's me or someone else making the post.

You have to remember that the CFL in the 80's was not exactly run very well and made a lot of mistakes. why do you think it was in such turmoil back then??

I can bet you today that if one team attempted to rip off another team by making a 6 player trade for 1 guy, that the league would be a little suspicious.

The League is two different run organizations in the past 30 some years...

don't think for one second that today's CFL would not investigate.

Agreed! (gasp! :wink: ) So then why do you keep falling back to that in every discussion about the Esks instead of, like the league and the teams, moving on?

but if you insist… you point out that the league was ‘wobbly’ in the 80s. Yet the Esks built their dynasty before all that in the mid 70s. Fascinating. 8)

ok i’m going to say this.

it’s less the Eskimos were so great than it was the other teams (ie Calgary and Saskatchewan for many of those years) were so bad!

The Riders had numerous years where they were the laughing stock of the CFL and never could get it right, while other teams did.

Calgary wasn’t exactly good either.

so in the West, the Eskimos were a shoe in to the Playoffs before the regular season was even started. it really was a 3 team division with two sub-par teams automatically selected.

once in a blue moon the Stamps made it in and someone like Winnipeg or B.C. missed but Saskatchewan never had a chance.

now imagine if you please, the Stamps and Riders of today back in the 80’s. how many of those Eskimos teams would have missed the playoffs?

Were they really that good?? or were the other teams just that bad?

I'm trying to imagine this Stamps team back in the 80's.

Most of them would have been little kids.

As for the Esks, they were good in the 80's but they were really good in the 70's.

wow… :expressionless:

About as pointless a comparison as there can be. It makes no sense at all to try to take a team - or a player - out of one era and try to presume what it would be like in a different era. In the same way that it’s pointles to think about how good Jackie Parker or Kenny Ploen or Normie Kwong or Ron Lancaster or Russ Jackson would be today, it’s pointless to do the opposite. There are too many variable that you’d need to factor in. Would it just be ‘the players’ you’d transpose? or their equipment too? Would they have benefited from modern training, or would they have undergone the same training as the team from the era past. What about payment? What about medical? etc. etc. etc.

Sure it’s fun to do, but it’s nothing more than fun. It’s certainly NOT a logical or meaningful argument.

:lol: Hilarious!! :thup:

So ... back to Tillman.

Edmonton is making a mistake if they don't take Tillman. In my business, I see many an ex-convict - never mind many, many more people who went through the criminal court system and received absolute discharges - get jobs after serving their punishment, if any punishment was even given. Many more don't even lose their jobs because of their brush with the law. They walk among you - could be your neighbour, could be your co-worker. They are there, make no mistake, and society is actually a better place for it because they are productive in society and not a drain on it for eternity. And so it must and should be.

The righteous can squack like nothing they did in their lives would have been subject to equal or greater punishment but for the fact that they didn't get caught or they did but nobody ran them up the judicial pole for it. I know that some things that I have done in my past would very likely have resulted in more severe punishment than Tillman got but, even when I was "caught", I never got charged. The difference between Tillman and me? Chance, pure and simple. The difference between Tillman and the righteous? You guessed it: chance. Now git down from them there high horses and let the man have what every human being deserves: a second chance.

Preaching off.

well no.

that’s too obvious. I’m trying to say that if the Stamps and Riders had been more competitive and actually had a shot to make the playoffs each season, I’m convinced that the Eskimos would not have made it to the playoffs every season then.

gotta realize that in a 5 team division, and 3 teams were the only good ones, not too difficult to see how easy it was for the Esks to make it… all we had to figure out was what spot would they take, 1 2 or 3?

Stamps and Riders were in the 80s one of the poorest run teams ever… even worse than Toronto or Hamilton of the recent seasons.

Very well said, LB. :thup:

X2

Great post 'beagle. Thanks for that. I get a little sick of seeing pseudo-experts throw accusations and names around when they more than likely haven't got clue what the case was really about, or why Tillman got an absolute discharge. You hit the nail on the head though. Let those without sin cast the first stone. And let us forgive those who trespass against us, as we would expect the same. In Tillman's case the forgiveness has already been given by the family.

Thanks PRJack, for proving my point… this is EXACTLY the thing I was referring to… enjoy the 2-7 record, it could be the norm around there for a long while…

Which point, the part about you being sanctimonious and self-righteous???

The facts of the Tillman case have been discussed on many board ad nauseum.. some will be ignorant of the facts of the case.. enjoy the basement PRJack and VoR... at least you wont have one person described as a "sexual deviant" as your GM... :roll:

.. and just for argument's sake...

[url=http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2010/09/tillman-to-edmonton.html]http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2010/09 ... onton.html[/url]

I used to like tillman, then I came to beleive he is a pissant and a weasel, however he is still a good gm

I dont judge him on his problem in sask because I dont know enough of the details, but from the results, I would say it wasnt that bad, as in not forgivable.

In any case, he should still be very embarressed and for that reason, I dont expect him to choose to resurface any time soon.