Tillman on the Cap

...wanna show me where it was specified that the injury costs weren't included in his numbers?

Funny how you seem to know the numbers better than the GM of the team......
He says they have not even been audited yet, but you know better.
He says they may be around $50K over but you know better.

I can wait to watch you skate when the numbers come out.
Wait, you will accuse Tillman of cooking the books or the league of covering up for them.

Lemme help you out a bit, '05...

"7. The additional numbers, which the league will validate later this spring, will show the Riders lead the league in cap-related injuries, with $385,000, while the average injury number of the other seven teams will be in the neighbourhood of $225,000. So even with the highest injury total in the league, our commitment to adhere to the CFL's new cap will result in a final number of about $4.1 million, clearly validating an $800,000 reduction in total football expenditures, all while winning the Grey Cup championship."

Won't help. Facts are apparently meaningless to 05. According to him the Riders were $150,000 over at the start of the season, and they have another $115,000 in injuries... even though the paragraph you quoted, jm, says the Riders actually have $385,000 in injuries, and that that number was included in the cap...

some people dont let facts get in the way

Tillman should know. If he does not he will look like a fool for writing all that. If the Riders are only $50,000 over after cutting $800,000 all the people who went after Riders and Tillman look stupid dont they. When does CFL announce all of this?

Speaking of the SMS, I read that Goldie McClendon was working in the Esks office during the offseason. What would stop a team paying a player an inflated off-season salary and reduce his player salary for the SMS? Or, like the Argos, have their sponsors pay the players a salary during the off-season??

I dont ever recall the Riders buying an majority share of Sask Power. If they find jobs around Regina during the off-season and are paid by somebody OTHER than the respective football team, no way that should count against the cap. The provincial gov't owns the company, and THEY are the ones who cut the cheques. As long as a player is not collecting a salary directly from the football club during the off-season, it shouldn't be counted agaisnt the cap.

Those who accused will claim its a coverup, or that Tillman cooked the books.

It doesn’t count towards the cap, but that wont stop the whiners from making accusations

How did he cut 800,000?

Agreed Sambo maybe you can list the players Tillman cut and a guess at their salaries. I find it hard to believe that he cut 800000 with the guys he let go.

It appears your the only one whining at this point in time.

Yes, but there are others that took pay cuts before the season started-notably Kerry Joseph. Just because a player remained with the team , doesnt mean that his salary remained the same.

As for player who left:
Kenton Keith -- a good 150K or better
Omar Morgan-- 90 to 100K
Davin Bush-- 75 to 90K
Nate Davis--75 to 90K

That would be close to 400K right there for four players, Joseph pay cut would have been very substansial as well, I would say a good 100 to 150 K there, so that means there is 500K in salary with just 5 players. I would think Armstead took a cut before the season too. Jackie Mitchell was another who was let go, so you probably add another 75 to 90 thousand off the payroll. Six players in total, and about 675K in total payroll that was trimmed. I would suspect that many other players took pay cuts. Lets not forget what DB made before his contract was not renewed either.

Do you even read the articles that you try to refute??

"4. In our efforts to achieve the salary cap in 2007, we asked Kerry Joseph to take a six-figure pay cut. We lost several notable high-salaried players such as Nate Davis, Omarr Morgan, Davin Bush, Andrew Greene, Jackie Mitchell, Kenton Keith and Charles Thomas, among others.
"
100,000 + Joseph
100,000 + Davis
80-100,000 Morgan
60-90 Bush
70-100 Greene
70-100 Mitchell
100 + Keith
60-90 Thomas

• Others

These salaries are purely guesses on my part. But come on Red, Do you enjoy losing arguments? If not why do you make these wild accusations. If Tillman said he cut 800,000 why would he lie. The Auditors will find out if he did, and also the public will find out becuase we, the owners, get financial statements listing the football expenditures (not broken down by player though just a big total).

beat me too it sambo

You added some that I missed and my estimates were conservative at best, but then you take in to account that I highly doubt that injured players receive full salary either. If you are injured at work 05, do you receive full salary if you are out for say 3 or 4 weeks?

Yes I would be paid in full.

Is it not funny Tillman cut a lot of useless players in the twilight of their career and seems satisfied. Well I guess if you are going to get rid of players why not the likes of Nate Davis. Keith was not a salary cap sacrifice Tillman knew very well he was gone at season end but he leads one to believe it was a sacrifice. His salary would count though. Kenton was gone Tillman had no say in the matter.

Omar Morgan well he left because he was a shivers guy and yes his salary counts as well. Charles Thomas and Jackie Mitchell left and yes they two had salaries but clearly were not on the radar for other teams since they did not sign on anywhere else. They lost good players in Davin Bush and Andrew Greene. Bu the question is this why be over the cap why did he not make every effort to be at the cap like the other teams? Okay you are saying it is only $50,000. How would you feel if the other teams out bid you for one of your players and were over 75,000 to do it. Would that be good. Remember the SMS was put in place for teams such as the riders who could not compete in bidding wars. By them being over yet again may put the SMS in peril. How long before the owners of the BC Lions, Stampeders, Eskimos, Als and Argos say enough of this scrap the SMS. It will come if this action by the riders continues.

The fact of the matter is I am glad the riders have done well but they have to take along hard look at this continually being over the cap.

1. The additional numbers, which the league will validate later this spring, will show the Riders lead the league in cap-related injuries, with $385,000, while the average injury number of the other seven teams will be in the neighbourhood of $225,000. So even with the highest injury total in the league, our commitment to adhere to the CFL's new cap will result in a final number of about $4.1 million, clearly validating an $800,000 reduction in total football expenditures, all while winning the Grey Cup championship."

"What a jackass. Congrats on winning the Grey Cup and all but had he not violated the cap and actually followed the rules like every other team who knows where they would have ended up with their more limited roster. Come talk to me when you win a Grey Cup following the same rules as everyone else Eric." (This was not my thoughts but how true)

Good for you, but for a lot of workers it doesnt work that way, I certainly would not get a full salary if I was off work for any peroid of time.

This is funny coming from you RW05....you state Tillman has no idea....but in another thread you state that Teddy bear hillard knows exactly the same figures for every team.