tillman fined?

You are so right. Coaching the Pats is not the same as coaching the Flames. But then again, the team DB is coaching is a Division 1 school. The team KA is coaching is a Division 1 school. I know you hate DB, but I don’t much care.
As for Tony, what would Tate have played? Tiddly winks? He is clearly 4th on the depth chart. I highly doubt he would be on the roster ahead of Jyles…

But of course the whole thing is irrelevant to the topic.

ET never said screw the rules. Easy to come on here and lie. Listen to what he said. Listen to his voice. His words. Not yours. He said 3 or 4 times Riders support the salary cap. He said Riders support CFL office. He said Riders had done more than any CFL team to get to cap. All he said was this. Counting injuries is wrong in cap. When he got pushed about rules he said this. I dont get a vote. But injuries should not count. He asked how Riders or any team could stop injuries. He asked this. If injuries are going to take Riders over cap. Should Riders forfeit? He was being a smart ass. That was dumb to do. But be fair Arius. He said the Riders supported the cap. 3 or 4 times.

Tillman said screw the rules you say. More Arius BS. Remember Joseph? You said he was wrong to trade Joseph. Remember Perry? You said he was wrong to trade Perry. Remember Hunt? You said Riders couldnt replace Hunt. That is what you said over and over. Before the season you said the Riders would be bad. Joseph and Hunt and Perry and Holmes are were about Riders trying to make cap. But you come on here and try to talk out of both sides of your mouth. Some people who dont know better believe your BS.

For 2 years you have said BS this BS that. Firing Shivers was wrong. Tillman would fail as gm. Austin was a bad hire for coach. Riders would not win in 2007 with Austin and Tillman. Riders would not be good in 2008.

Dont change the subject Arius. You always do. Yes or no? Did you say those 5 things. The 5 things starting with Shivers being fired was wrong. Yes or no?

Why should anyone listen to you? You have been wrong for 2 years.

Maybe Hamilton will hire your coach. Danny Barrett. Buffalo is close to Hamilton. And Hamilton fans would be happy with this. Finishing 3rd every year. Or 4th. 7 straight years.

Grey Cup champions in year 1. 5 and 0 in year 2. Your still not happy. Go cheer for the Shivers and the Lions. The 3 and 3 Lions.

And screw the rules you say Tillman said. Want to tell us this? Why dis this happen the last year of Shivers and Barrett? With their players. Their team. The Riders finished 1 million over the cap. Answer that question Arius. 1 million over is that screw the rules. Yes or no?

Austin you know what I have told you before this isn’t a Shivers vs Tillman debate. Go back and listen and read what was said. It is painfully clear why Tillman got the fine. Something you don’t want to accept with your kool-aid drinking buddies.

Now you want to come in here a spew Tony said this Tony said that. Well you are the one that said Tony said Tate was on 9 game list all of last season, clearly he wasn’t. He didn’t go on the 9 game list until after the 7th game.

Now you come in here and say Tony said Tate would have started before Jyles. Let me get this right, this assessment is based on a player who was injured in the first half of Training Camp. Despite being in heavy competition for a back up spot didn’t play in either of pre-season games.

Austin, as I said they were questionable. I was not aware that Mckoy and Morin had operations.

But even you can’t argue, the whole Tate situation looks a little fishy. Given what happened last year.

Now, I noticed you didn’t make mention of the 1 gamers, is that because you believe there is some the league mentioning fake injuries.

Austin, you see GM's releasing players after they come off the injured list for other teams why is this not happening with the riders? You have yet to answer why is it that the Riders are the only team having problems with this issue. Montreal was over granted but it was a mistake made with one player. The other aspect is all teams have injuries and please last year teams had injuries with high salaried positions compared to that of the riders. This year the riders are in the position those other teams were in last year. But those other teams last year were under the cap why is that do you suppose. Now with Tillman what he said you can try to twist it any way you want. The only problem is you can not justify the fine because it was the league that gave it to him and really they must have had a reason. So why even bother trying to deny?

ET never said screw the rules.
Here is what he did say:
play by the rules---spare me that one
And he followed up the suggestion that the league may in fact want him/us to play by the rules by suggesting maybe we could/would forfeit a game. When I said he said, " screw the rules", I am paraphrasing". Much like you paraphrased pretty much his entire interview. You never once quote ET--you just give us the sanitized "Austinpoers version". Well ET was fined. So rather than omitting stuff that is pertinant, it might be helpful to actually look at what was said and try to figure out why he was fined. The stuff you ommit is obviously the reason--or why do you ommit it? Why does the Leader Post ommit it? Because you are trying to skew the debate.

So I’ll let you paraphrase the comment I quoted from ET–if it doesn’t say, “screw the rules” what does it say?

As for the rest–the Perry trade and the Joseph trade remain stupid. And I never ever said that Hunt was irreplaceable. And I never ever said the Riders would be bad–picked them for second place.
If you want to slander people, try looking for someone else and leave me alone…

...the rest of his comment needs to be included in the "spare me that one" comment as well...his entire comment was about how it was very difficult to play within the SMS "rules" when the injuries pile up, and in response to the implication that the team is a group of cheaters because they go over due to those injuries...my inference was that he wasn't necessarily saying that from a viewpoint of the Riders alone, but that it could apply to any team.

In essence, he wasn't saying "screw the rules" - he was saying "spare me the cheating rhetoric."

People really do need to use the whole quote in instances such as this, imo.

Of course having the entire quote is useful, Jm. Wish I had the transcript. But the question remains, what exactly did he say that got him a $2500 fine. And when you listen to the entire interview, it seems fairly clear which parts got him into trouble. It wasn’t the entire interview, just parts. And everyone tells me how smart he is, how media savvy he is. So it seems counterintuitive to then try to claim he didn’t realize exactly what he was saying. And then when a guy like Austin comes on and completely ignores part of what was said, and thereby “proves” a fine was unjustified, or the Leader Post or other local meadia take the stance that the fine was silly, yet they exclude the exact same passages from their “transcripts”, one begins to wonder. I listen to the entire thing, and while I am surprised he was fined as much as he was, I think it is quite clear why he was in fact fined. It doesn’t even matter if he was right on every point he made. You simply cannot allow a man in his position to publically spout off about legitimately breaking the rules or potentially forfeiting a game–no matter how facitiously it might have been.

I agree that spouting off isn't appropriate, in many instances...however, I've listened to the interview four times now, and not once did I hear a comment I would fine someone over...and I realize I'm not the one in charge of handing out fines, before anyone comments...was Tillman over the top? Absolutely...was it fine-worthy? Not in my opinion.

I listened to the interview, and really he was fined over nothing! All he did was state where the SMS could be improved regarding injury lists. I agree with him, a 6 game list would be far better than a 9 game one. I wonder how many owners will look at this when they have a truckload of injuries to deal with, and are in danger of going over the cap over something they cannot control.

Sambo the problem is a lot of teams have as many inuries as the riders but no one other then Tillman is stating his displeasure and that he can not stay with in the SMS. Last year was the same. Tillman has to learn not to critique the league to the media and do this with the BOG of the League. Not sure why Tillman can not work with in the structure where as all other teams seem too. No one seems to have that answer. What really bothers me is to see rider fan attack another rider fan because they voice a difference of opinion. That is truly sad IMO. Maybe what Tillspin should do is get together with all the GM's and see what their thoughts are and if they agree with him they should collectively approach the BOG right. Then he does not risk fines and then he has the support of his peers. Now if the other GM's do not agree then he really needs to adjust to the rules of the SMS so he stays with in the limit.

I find it interesting that people think the riders a have significant number of starters that are injured that count against the cap.

Here are the list of starters that have been injured:

CHICK (9) - gone for 9 games might be healthly enough to start before then.
FLICK (9) - gone for 9 games, likely for the season, but might be healthy enough to start before then
MITCHELL(9)- gone for 9 games, likely won't be back before the 9 games but should play before the end of the season.
FANTUZ (9) - gone for 9 games, last I heard might not be back for the end of the season.

What do these players have to do with the cap nothing. Unless they can come early or need a couple extra weeks to get back into game shape before coming back.

While it is a significant part of the starting offense, these are not the guys hurting the riders sms cap. It is the one gamers all those part time players who dress and then injured the next game.

In terms of starters that have been on the one game list:
Adams (1 game but suspect it was the disabled list not injured),
Matt D was on the disabled and shouldn't have counted
Washington on the disabled list and shouldn't count.
Dressler his hamstring is a definite...a couple of games.
Szarka his ankle injury...a couple of games
Smith I believe it was his back...couple of games

So out of all our so called injuries to real starters we have 3 people out for 6 games in out a total of 5 games.

As I said, the riders need to look at there often injured part time players.
ACREE
MORLEY
PATRICK
SCOTT
GETZLAF
SHOLOGAN
And ask themselves if this is the best use of limited resources. For Eric or any gm to stand up and complain about having this many part time players on the injured list this early, I have to question if they are using the injured list as a reserve list to protect players. Doing so will only increase cost for the return that you are getting and therefore don't complain.

Actually on TV and radio Tillman stated 7 starter were injured. You have four listed. I agree Mike most teams do not have a second line up on the injured list. Guys that come off it usually get cut example Sambo. We just cut four players because the injured were coming back from injury. The question have you seen cuts by the riders recently? The point is if you are going to keep guys on the injury list that are questionably injured Tillman should not complain pay the fine at the end of the year and be done with it. But if the riders continue to go over the SMS this just might put this salary management system in jeopardy. There are owners out there that do want it gone. This in the long run would hurt community owned teams.

The other starters were the 1 gamers, Szarka, Matt D, Dressler, Adams, Smith. If Adams and Matt D were classified as Disabled then that is your 7.

Thanks Mike, the interview was funny and Tillman was good natured about the fine. But it appears he accepted crossing the line and being fined. The thing that Eric needs to do is not complain about it to the media and take the right steps to avoid being in the limelight. Remember Shivers was like this and well we all know that it can be a bit of a distraction. I am glad for the Rider fans that their team is finding success and that they just might have found the right man to run the team. Now he needs to just handle the media a bit better. The Stamps did this last year after the much talked about Higgens leak. Hiring M Petrie from the Herald which has helped the team from media nightmares. These next two games are important but not the end of the world. Back to the smack. Who do you think is the most important player your team is missing for this game.

Oh I agree....but I suspect Tillman likes to be in the centre of attention. If he isn't, I think he feel like the little guy from the little team in Sask. Either that or I wouldn't recommend anyone go the University of Mississippi for a Journalism degree.

Well he does work the media well but keeps forgetting that the league watches over the interviews. With is back ground you would think he could keep from getting fined. S o I think he is a guy that needs to have all the attention and prove to the rider fans he is their man. I think he has done that. But now he is getting to much more like the Shivers days. But he has delivered what he has promised and that is all that counts.

Twist this. Try to twist it. When everyone was talking about Riders and this winter back before the CFL said what the numbers were. Tillman said this on the radio. The Riders cut 2 players last year when they came off there injured list. Azzi and and a defensive player. I think Jurinek. Might be wrong about Jurinek. But it was a defensive player. Both players said they were still hurt. The Riders doctor said the were healthy. It was something like a stiff back. Hard for the doctors to prove. Players word against the doctors word. The union came into it and the Riders had to play both. Tillman said it cost club something like $40,000.

RedWhite tell me this. Why cant you understand this? 2006 Riders over cap by 1 million. That is a fact. Been in our paper over and over. Riders finished 50 over in 2007. That is a fact. CFL said so. CFL also said Riders had highest injuries in CFL in 2007. That is a fact. That didnt come from Austin or Tillman. The CFL said so in the Regina paper. So the all teams had same injuries is BS.

Why were other teams under the cap? 2 reasons or more. They didnt have as many injuries as Riders. But the bigger reason is this. Teams like Calgary signed players to new contracts right before cap. I heard Coach Austin say this on the radio. He said the Stampeders gave Burris $200,000 for doing team promotions for 3 years. He laughed and said promotion money did not count against cap. 1 player $200,000 promotion. You ask how other CFL teams made the cap. That is 1 answer.

Johnson is also injured this game at least. He left the last games with migraine/concussion-type symptoms. January will not play, as a result of an injury he received last week as well.

Part of the problem is that Tillman is a very media savvy guy, and he is GM of the team that probably gets the most media attention in it's market. So you combine the fact that Tillman likes to talk, and that the reporters here are constantly asking him questions, and eventually he's going to tick someone off with his comments.

Really shouldn't surprise anyone.

You didnt listen to the interview. What you are saying is not what he said. Tillman talked about this. 9 game was his big point. Said 9 game injured list should be 6 games. He talked about Szarka with broken foot this year. Said with 6 game injured Szarka would not have counted against cap. But Riders had to suck it up on cap. Because the Riders didnt want to have Szarka not playing for 9 games. Same with Durant. Tillman did not talk about Durant. But Coach Miller said they hoped he would be back in September. If the CFL had 6 games Durant might not count against cap.

Tillman said over and over Riders support the cap. But some of the rules need to change. Like 9 game rule. Maybe you should listen to interview before you kick the Riders.

You say Tillman should get with other gms. If you had listened you would know this to RedWhite. He said gms have no vote on cap. Said that is why it was frustrating. Coaches and gms deal with injuries every week. But coaches and gms do not get to vote on cap. Or how cap is put together.