Tillman announces neg list

Good for Eric, he made the Riders neg list public and to my surprise the sky didn't fall.
I think the CFL office should keep up dates on the neg list the same as the rosters are kept updated on CFL.ca
Now I'm afraid for Eric because I always thought if a person was told who was on the CFL teams neg list they would then have to be eliminated. :smiley: Its worse then a secret society.
Over to you Mark Cohon. Time to bring the CFL out of the cloak and dagger era.

Hi DoubleBlue:

Good thread. I agree with you that the CFL should publicize the negotiation lists of all CFL teams on cfl.ca.

When and where did Eric Tillman publicly announce the Riders' negotiation list? If you know of a link, please post it. Thank you.

originally it was posted on saskriders.ca for the diehard fans.rob vanstone put it in the regina paper.now tillman wont put up anymore inside info ruining it for all.thanks rob.all cfl teams can post there own neg list ,they just choose not to.

the leader post ppl talked to tillman b4 they did it... check yo facts.

actually it was darrell davis who talked to tillman and wrote the list in the leaderpost. and tillman's tyed to talk davis out of going public with that info, but davis and the leaderpost decided to go ahead anyways :x .

I agree DoubleBlue, ET's fan first attitude is great and long overdue, i fear some Rider fans forgot what it's like to be kept in the loop.....Long Live Tillman

I applaud ET for posting the neg list in the first place, but am perplexed by his outrage, and that of some fans because the Leader-Post then printed it.
If you put something into cyberspace, I suspect it is not a secret anymore.
Essentially, it is the equivalent of being at a party with 50 people, telling a secret to 39 of them and assuming the other 11 will never find out...
Or being a politician on a local cable show and assuming you can say anything you desire because no way the national media will ever pick up on it....
And as ET has a degree in journalism, he has absolutely no excuse for not grasping the fundamentals here.
Your reward for being a member of Riderville.com, was that you got the news first.
The Leader-Post was simply doing its job by reporting the neg list to the rest of us.

Sheesh...I can't believe I am defending Vanstone on something....I have to go take a shower now....

It would have been an embarrassment to the Leader-Post to have that information readily available to the the public and not report on it themselves.
And ET knows this--or at least he should.

As it turns out, the best part of the story was ETs comments on a few of the guys he is seriously interested in.
Now Rider fans can actively follow the careers of some of these players.
I see no downside to releasing this info to the public.

And, in case anyone hasn't been out of their cave for the past few days:

[b]Tillman posts negotiation list[/b] Darrell Davis, The Leader-Post Published: Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Trying to provide online fans with extra information about his CFL team, general manager Eric Tillman recently posted the Saskatchewan Roughriders' confidential 35-player negotiation list on Riderville.com.

"(Revealing players on a negotiation list) has been done at the discretion of the teams,'' said Tillman. "Each club handles it differently.

"I did put our list on Riderville.com as a perk for our subscribers. But out of respect for the people in our league, I won't do that anymore.''

After a paid subscriber sent the list to the Leader-Post, Tillman was contacted during a scouting trip through the southern U.S. and asked if he would rate some of the top prospects.

With the possibility that he could be reprimanded by the CFL, Tillman requested that for the sake of accuracy and diplomacy, one player be removed from the list because he had been released and signed by another CFL team. He also agreed to discuss the potential of some players named by the Leader-Post.

Each CFL team has exclusive negotiating rights to the players on their list. Most of the players are future prospects, some coming from U.S. colleges and others who have spent time with pro teams in NFL Europe, Arena league and NFL teams. The majority of the players are imports, although there are sometimes unsigned, undrafted, non-imports who appear on neg lists.

The eight teams regularly make changes to their negotiation lists, such as when a player is signed or looks like he won't be playing in the CFL.

"Our list is structured toward the future,'' Tillman said. "The vast majority of this year's work is done, so the rest of the list is looking ahead to midway through 2007 or 2008.

"I wouldn't expect any more than four or five of the players on this list to be at training camp.''

Tillman was asked specifically about these players:

Quarterback D.J. Shockley (Georgia) -- "He's a seed (former general manager) Roy Shivers planted on our list a long time ago. He's with the (NFL's Atlanta) Falcons and could play in the NFL, or he could be in the CFL in three or four years. Because of the huge demand for quarterbacks throughout football, it requires a lot of patience to see if he works out.''

Running back Jamal Robertson (Ohio Northern) -- "Played in Calgary and has been with four NFL teams. When he first came up here there was a buzz among the coaching fraternity that he was really going to be a player.''

Linebacker Sam Olajubutu (Arkansas) -- "A character guy who has great instincts. He's a tackling machine. He can cover running backs and make plays all over the field. At 5-(foot)-8, 230 (pounds) he's undersized for the NFL, but he plays like (long-time NFL linebacker) Sam MIlls. In the NFL they say no because of a guy's size; that's what happened to Doug Flutie.''

Punter Thomas Olmstead (Troy State) -- "We're looking at him at this point, but we might not be later. We're looking at the possibility of having an American kicker and he has tremendous kickoffs. (Veteran) Luca Congi will be our kicker, but we have looked at multiple scenarios that could include an American. With the acquisition of Jamie Boreham from Hamilton, we may have resolved that, but we would still like three kickers at camp.''

Defensive end Brian Smith (Missouri) -- "In the NFL he would be converted to linebacker, which is one of his two challenges. The other is, he's coming off a broken hip. But he can flat-out rush the passer.''

Defensive back Dre Dokes (Northern Iowa) -- "A highly productive player who, because he's undersized, also doesn't fit the NFL's size parameters.''

Wide receiver/kick returner Roosevelt Kiser (Florida A&M) -- "My guess is he might be a late-round NFL draft pick, but he's like (fellow neg-list receivers) Vincent Marshall, Gerran Walker and Carl Berman -- because they're very dangerous with a ball in their hands they might end up with NFL teams.''

WHO'S ON THE RIDERS' RADAR

Saskatchewan Roughriders' negotiation list

(Posted online by GM Eric Tillman in mid-March, with his comments)

Mike Alston-LB Toledo...just graduated

Thomas Barnett-T Kansas State...experience in NFL and NFL Europe

Dalton Bell-QB West Texas...just graduated

Carl Berman-WR Indiana State...just graduated

McKinley Boykin-DT Ole Miss...playing in NFL Europe

Larry Brackins-WR Pearl River JC...playing in Arena

Omarr Conner-QB Mississippi State...just graduated

Chase Daniel-QB Missouri...outstanding upcoming junior

Woody Dantzler-QB/RB Clemson...playing in Arena

Dre Dokes-DB Northern Iowa...just graduated

Jimmy Farris-WR Montana...significant NFL experience

Martin Hankins-QB Memphis...upcoming senior

Bobby Harris-T Ole Miss...playing in NFL Europe

Howard Hodges-DE Iowa...playing in Arena

Robert Hubbard-RB Nevada...just graduated

Justin Jenkins-WR Mississippi State...playing in NFL Europe

Roosevelt Kiser-WR/KR Florida A&M...just graduated

Vincent Marshall-WR Houston...just graduated

Adrian McPherson-QB Florida A&M...playing in Arena

Sam Olajubutu-LB Arkansas...just graduated

Thomas Olmstead-P Troy...NFL experience

James Patrick-CB Stillman...just released from Patriots PR

Dominic Payne-DE Western State...playing in Arena

Jerrell Pippens-DB Nebraska...currently with Redskins

Jamal Robertson-RB Ohio Northern...currently with Falcons

Ryne Robinson-WR Miami,Ohio...just graduated

Marcus Rucker-LB Rice...just graduated

DJ Shockley-QB Georgia...currently with Falcons

Brian Smith-DE Missouri...just graduated

Paul Thompson-QB Oklahoma...just graduated

Zach Ville-DT/DE Missouri...playing in NFL Europe

Gerran Walker-WR/KR Lehigh...playing in NFL Europe

Renauld Williams-LB Hofstra...just released from 49ers

Stephen Williams-DT NW Missouri State...currently with Panthers

(Note: One player was deleted from the posted list because he was released and subsequently signed by another CFL team.)

[url=http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=5b1c6ac3-71ff-43e9-8c69-092ee262c504]http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/ ... 2ee262c504[/url]

how many times are you going to post this Arius? Maybe you should post it in the off-topic section as well. :roll:

I think twice should do it.
I suppose I could have placed it on the main forum first, but I'm not that clever.
But not everyone will find it on just the Rider forum, and certainly it will draw less response.

Sambo I'd rather see this topic twice than most of your posts once.....GO RIDERS

Usually I dont respond to your moronic posts because its a waste of space. Try posting about what you actually know about football. Wait, that means you wouldnt post in here at all if that were the case.

Hey, we're all Rider fans in here, peeps....where's the love?

RE: jm02
I LOVES YOOUS GUYS!

He should know yes.. However, I ponder, is tillman using this to his advantage somehow ? ( other than generating a [by my viewpoint] positive fan reaction )
I do wonder if he has masterminded something 'more than meets the eye' (haha i sound like optimus prime!) - And thank-you Arius, although its too late for me to read it now, i have been in a cave and have not read it yet.. Its on my 'todo' list...

Rider Pride, Nation Wide!

Those who are angry about the neg. list going to the leaderpost are the subscribers of the Rider Alliance. What they really should be angry about is how they got suckered into paying $25 a year to post on a forum. I bleed green like everyone else, but the Rider Alliance is a total ripoff! Tillman is just trying to justify taking their money!

In addition to the forums in which Tillman posts on daily with very valuable inside information, worth $25/year alone, Alliance members also receive great gameday photos, videos, and a buy-one-get-one free ticket coupon. Using that coupon alone will recoup the $25 spent on a membership and more. Seems to me that Rider Alliance members get more than they pay for in the end.

Everything you mention should be available on such a website for free without paying 25 bucks.
With I suppose the exception of a two-for-one coupon.
So for your 25 that is all you get.
But as an overall marketing tool, charging 25 means they need to offer something or it would be even less effective than it is.
If it were free to all fans, it would be a much more effective tool than it is now.

And could I have an example of this "valuable" information you guys get from ET?

Sure, pay your $25 and have all the information you want. A reocurring theme as a Rider Alliance member is to "keep it on Riderville." Ask Tillman anything you want, he will answer, he also takes his time almost every day to join in on current forum discussions, and to debunk any current Rider rumours, ie. Will Matt Dominguez be traded?

Really now its only $25/year, I used to complain about the money as well, but its all well worth it once I took the plunge (if you can even call $25 a "plunge"). As a true Rider fan give it shot, you won't regret it.