Tight Ends

Hey,

I'm new to the forum, but I enjoy keeping up with the CFL by going to the Alouettes web site. Also, an American, who used to be able to watch the CFL on cable, I realize how much I miss it now. Now, I have one stupid question. I went through most of the CFL rosters I couldn't find any tight ends listed. Do CFL teams not have tight ends? Or maybe do they just use them in short yardage situations. Anyway, thanks for reading this message and giving me the scoop on tight ends of lack of them in the CFL

Thanks,

Kevin.

Welcome!

The Tight End went the way of the dodo in the CFL many seasons back. Most teams use 2 running backs, 2 wide receivers, and 2 slotbacks, often taking out the 2nd back and adding a 5th receiver. Usually only line someone up as a ‘tight end’ on 2nd or 3rd and short yardage…but then it’s usually a backup linebacker or lineman, and not a true tight end in the NFL sense.

Hey Madjack, BC Used tight ends when you had Mathews as your Head Coach and you were "Blitz-Happy". I remember seeing it only when we played you guys.

Tight Ends are used only in special situations, In fact I think they are employed on third and short. (All those announcements this years about linemen being elligible?????)

Exactly the case!

Just like 40 is the new 30, fullbacks and defensive ends are now the new tight ends...

Bonjour,

Hey guys, I'm just curios as to when you mean, it's first or second, or maybe third in long, you bring another WR in the offensive play, totalling 5, or do you just motion a running back into a spot near the other four. I thank you for all the information you've given me, as I plan to visit a CLF game later this summer,

Thanks,

Kevin J. Scheve

Third and long is a punting scenario 99% of the time. Generally when it is an obvious passing down teams bring in a 5th receiver or on first down if they want to try to catch the defence off guard

The advantage of the 5 and 6-receiver sets is that you force linebackers into coverage and usually obtain a favorable matchup as a result. It also allows you to run bunch formations where you line up four receivers on the strong side of the field in order to let the fifth receiver work an isolation route against a cornerback on the backside.

Slotbacks -- the inside receivers -- work pretty much the same area of the field as tight ends, and can be in motion pre-snap because they're not in a three-point stance. It's an obvious advantage IMO.

So, just to clarify, as I stuggle to follow CFL games at home, a team could have as many as six wide receivers if you go ahead and lable the two slot backs as wr's. I know Montreal uses Cobourne a lot as a wr. But at times are there teams that empty out their backfield. I wish I could find out these things for myself, but I thank you all for your interest and patience in my messages.

Moss, yes you can go with 6 receivers, though obviously not all 'wide' as there would usually be at least 3 of those receivers in the slot. Cobourne is used sparingly as a WR, and mainly because of who he is. Most other times, if he's not running the ball, he's Calvillo's checkdown option.