Tiger-Cats Tab Khari Jones As Offensive Coordinator

Hamilton, Ontario - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that Khari Jones has been named the team's Offensive Coordinator.

Click HERE to read the full press release:

Congrats, KJ.

We locked him up before Saskatchewan could get him.

Great choice I would say. All the best Khari! :thup:

Now that Khari is the offensive coordinator, I wonder if his pre-game ritual will change. Using a basketball free throw style, he would eventually balance the football on the crossbar of the goalpost and then proceed to use it as a target to be knocked off from 15, 20, and 25 yards. It is neat to watch grown men play their own little game before the big game. Khari has the same enthusiasm for football today as he had when he was a player. Congratulations to him on his new job and good luck in winning over all the “offensive coordinators” on this site. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

Gutsy hire. It's always interesting to see a position coach move into a coordinator role for the first time, because we fans really don't have any idea of what he'll bring to the table. I can't imagine Jones not having a creative and meticulous approach to the game. He always struck me as being a cerebral, Calvillo-type quarterback whose body just unfortunately wore down in the last few years of his career. He clearly has a very good rapport with Kevin Glenn (and as a LOL aside, how often do you become good friends with the person who took your old job?). And since he has spent the past two years working in Gibson's system, he should be well-poised to retain what works, jettison what isn't working, and modify / augment the rest of the playbook to hopefully take Hamilton's offense to a new level.

Congratulations Coach Jones.

Now hopefully the team signs Richie Hall.

If it had to be in the ultimate name of team stability and continuity, then I would agree that Khari Jones is likely the best choice. However, I've said this before, and I still believe it now, that Marcel will have Khari on a fairly short leash in the sense that Marcel will have the final say on all play calls. I don't think that Jones will have the same flexibility that Marcel seemed to give Mike Gibson. I still think that Khari being the OC will only be a "token" position, at least for the 2011 season. 8)

Considering that Bellefeuille offenses have never been anything but mediocre at best (SSK, MTL, HAM), I don't know that keeping Khari on a short leash is in the best interests of the team...

....Nice going Khari....a very likable, deserving and savvy guy....Can't give him too many kudos though....as he is the oppostion.........and as far as Hall goes...he most likely will get an interview in the Peg, if he doesn't sign on with the riders....we'll see :wink:

now to top it off with Hall as DC......right obie & marcel. :wink:

Unless somebody knows of a proven Offensive Co-ordinator
with a consistent record of success in the CFL who is available

I like the idea of promoting from within

and that goes for our Brad Miller, also.

P.S.

I wonder if another former CFL QB, Danny Barrett was called?

I wonder the same thing .. I like Khari but to trust him this job with 2 year in league
If this fails we need to clean House

8) If Hall does not sign up as DC in Sask., he will definitely be DC in Hamilton.

Definitely? Why so? Do you have some inside information you can share?

If he doesn't sign in Saskatchewan, I'd say it's 50/50 between Hamilton and Winnipeg. He's worked in the past with both LaPolice and Bellefeuille. . . I have no inside information as to which of those two he respects more and would be more eager to work under. . . if you have inside information to share, please do so. Otherwise, I'd stay away from categorical statements such as "definitely" if I were you . . . while you may turn out to be correct, you may also turn out to have egg on your face. . .

Congrats to Khari!

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

There are two things I really like about what Khari said upon his promotion in this article:

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/article/309427--ticats-give-ball-to-khari-jones]http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... hari-jones[/url]

First, "Jones said he doesn’t have an established offensive philosophy, having played in a number of systems during his career. “When you talk about offences, I like to leave it open because it’s a very player-driven type of thing,? Jones said. “What we have the players to do, that’s the type of offence we’re going to run.?

Terrific; nice to see he's not going to try to force square pegs into round holes. I would far rather have an O/C who is prepared to tailor his schemes to the personnel he has available, rather than the other way around and try to force the personnel he has to play a particular system or scheme he has his mind set on (see how the blue team tried to make Kerry Joseph into a pocket passer). So this is really a good sign.

Second, "But Jones has already targeted a number of areas where he’d like to see improvement . . . “I think we threw the ball well but we’ll have to work on the run game a little bit and get more consistent with that,? Jones said."

Totally agreed; seems to me that this is a really good hire.

Odd; I posted that at 10:54 this morning but this thread doesn't show on the page for "view new posts". . .perhaps posting this will make it so. . . wish they'd get these site problems fixed.