TIGER-CATS SIGN NATIONAL D-END LOUIE RICHARDSON

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Monday that the football club has signed national free agent defensive end Louie Richardson.

Richardson, 30, registered three defensive tackles in one preseason game with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this season before being released by the team on June 27. In four CFL seasons with the Tiger-Cats (2012-13) and Blue Bombers (2014-15), the native of Vancouver, British Columbia, has recorded nine defensive tackles, 23 special teams tackles, two quarterback sacks and one fumble recovery in 30 career games. Richardson was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the Tiger-Cats on May 24, 2012.

Prior to turning pro, the 6-4, 244-pound defensive end played four seasons (2008-11) at the University of Manitoba. In 20 career games with the Bisons, Richardson posted 55.5 tackles, two tackles for loss, one quarterback sack, two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and one blocked kick.

Drew EdwardsVerified account ?@scratchingpost 8m8 minutes ago
#Ticats sign LB Louie Richardson. Played with the club in 2012-13. Will provide ST depth after injuries to Archambault and Langa. #CFL

He was with Hamilton for two years before? Don't remember him at all. Must have been a PR guy.

I was thinking the same thing. No memory here either.

8) I remember him well !!
  I believe he actually started one game for us at DE, because of injuries.
  If my memory still serves me well, I think it was one of those games that  we played in Halifax !!

He was not just a PR player back then either.

Was #47 when he played 9 games here over 2 seasons ('12 & '13) and was credited with 10 ST tackles, a forced fumble and a recovery.

Now I remember him! Thanks for the added info guys!

Ratio buster?

Hardly . Richardson is strictly a Specials player and no better than an adequate reserve at best. In no way can I see him starting let alone being ever considered as a player good enough to be considered a so called ratio buster.

How about finding a real CB or 2? We have the worst in the league. Anyone can go deep on us anytime they want.

I am surprised Austin has not addressed special teams, OLine and the secondary. Has Austin reached the height of his coaching success? I have stated this before, how come other teams can find suitable players that they can plug and play and Austin and crew are unable to do that? Open for discussion

Also, how come almost every team in the league has ex Ti-cats (those rejected by the Ti-cats) playing better for them than they did for us??? :? :?

I agree with both, although I will hold back on KA having peaked on his coaching. I think it might be more philosophy - like going for 40 yards on second and four, knowing a full blitz is coming. Defence spends too much time on field, either because of two and outs or 80 yard drives taking a minute and a half ending in a FG.

On defence, the DBs seem to offer a big cushion for receivers, especially on short patterns. Very common to see opposition QBs complete 8-10 passes in a row. Long drives, time consuming, and to repeat myself 10 ten yarders covers most of the field and wears down the defence. DEs in pass coverage no longer a novelty and less and less effective, plus takes them out of pressure packages, or gives us 3 man rushes. Sloppy tackling often results in big YAC yards. Or adding safety to pass rush leaves centre of coverage open for big gainer. No way we should be allowing every QB in the league to be an 80% passer when playing Hamilton.

Agree, I remember Richardson and while he no doubt spent some time on the PR, he really was more of a special teamer. At the very least he provides some experience on STs which seems to have been lacking. I recently noticed that both Langa and Archambault were on the 6 game so the depth is needed and why not bring in a player who at least is familiar with the team and coaches, even if somewhat less talented. There aren't many good Canadian players out there who could quickly fit in. Besides they have enough DL depth as Gaydosh has often been a healthy scratch. Barring some catastrophic turn of events on the injury front to our DL, Richardson shouldn't be needed anywhere else but on STs.