Tiger-Cats Sign Five DBs

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that the team has signed five import defensive backs. Francis Adjei, John Destin, Terrance Lee, Pierre Singfield and Marcell Young will join the Ticats at rookie camp next week.

More info: http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats-boost-secondary

Ticats TV Video: http://www.ticats.ca/video/index/id/17443

These DB's we're signing are pretty big, the shortest of them being 5.11
Singfield was brought to camp last year so they must think he's worth something for another invite this year.
Marcell Young has some VERY impressive size.6.02, 200 lbs.WOW

Marcell Young has some VERY impressive size.6.02, 200 lbs.WOW
Hey, I'm just under 6 ft. and am (ahem :oops: ) a "little" over 200 lbs... but impressive isn't normally the word used to describe me.

6’2 200lbs for a corner/halfback? Add a few more pounds and he could be a linebacker in this league. Sounds like we’re looking for own Version of Brandon Browner.

Nice there finally Letting know about the signings .
I still worry about raw rookies but Everyone was a Rookie raw rookie once
so Great work Obie..

He's really not that much bigger than most of last year's line-up:

• Beswick 6-1 198
  • Bradley 5-9 188
  • Dennis 6-1 190
  • Hinds 6-1 198
  • Hood 6-0 195
  • Shivers 6-1 191
  • Smith 6-0 190
  • Wladichuk 6-1 190

Bradley is our only small (normal-sized?) DB. And then of course there's Barker at 6-3, 206. But safeties are supposed to be like fast linebackers, right?

But definitely good to see some competition being brought in at secondary, even if this bunch are all imports. It'll be interesting to see how fast they are, especially on the big field.

I want see how thses young DB's do Vs Mo-man and AB3 in Camp

Yes, that would be interesting. Here's hoping they're good enough to shut them down. (Ok, a guy can dream, can't he?)

Hope we sign them all, our DB's the past two yrs have been suspicious at best..

8)

I think Ryan Hinds will be a stud for us in the secondary this year, and a ratio buster..

I'm happy OBIE is bringing in some big bodies into camp for the competition..

Hinds is going to be huge for us this season (and hopefully for years to come). The way he played last season, he would be starting regardless of what his passport says.

Size can be a plus but isn't huge. Look at that Sanders guy for the Colts, I think he's only around 5'8" for a safety and that's not that tall for the NFL and he's been a good one.

Looks more like cannon fodder for training camp to me but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Import DBs with identical pedigrees (i.e. rookies or guys who had a sniff at the NFL) are a dime a dozen.

An Argo-Cat fan

I see your point, but Sanders is also built like a linebacker. Despite being only 5'8, he still weighs 206 lbs.

I remember reading an article on the web in the last couple years that talked about DB size mostly. At least when it comes to CB's they felt 5'11" was the perfect height. You need to be pretty agile which is hard for a bigger guy generally. Ritchie Hall is one of the best all-time CFL DB's and is only 5'6". Even in the NFL a CB over 6'0" or 6'1" is not as common as you would think. Darrell Greene is one of the best ever and is 5"8". Revis on the Jets is thought of as the best current CB and is 5"11".

Found the article..

[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2422307]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/c ... id=2422307[/url]

But at the same time, the size of DB's in the NFL is beginning to change. All 3 corners taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft were above 6 feet and Patrick Peterson weighs a staggering 219 lbs. Then you have guys like Nnamdi Asomugha, Charles Woodson, Aqib Talib, Antonio Cromartie and Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie. I don't if you actually need bigger corners or not in order to succeed, but they're certainly becoming bigger just like the receivers are.

He can be a ratio buster. And it would be good to have a non-import CB to back him up. Will we soon hear about the signing of Chrs Rwabu-, uhh, Rwabuka-, uhh, that player we drafted from Duke last year? :slight_smile:

And we'll see if any of these players can make the Heyward release make more sense.

Drew says Chris R. will be in camp.Other n/i DB's we have are:Marc Beswick, Jonathon Hood, Ray Wladichuk (although he's a safety)