Tiger-Cats History

After reading Milton's and Drews stories I have a much greater knowledge and respect for the
storied history of our team.
With THF being built on the same iconic grounds as Civic/IWS this history is carried forward.
Kudos to Caretaker and the team for making this honoring of the Flying Wildcats happen.
And thanks to Milton for the research.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com

A great read! [b]^^^[1]

Another part of Guelph Military history

[b]
Poet, doctor and soldier, Col. John McCrae is immortalized in Guelph, his birthplace, where his family home and a memorial garden are tourist attractions for those seeking a connection with the man who wrote, possibly, the best known poem in the world.

"In Flanders fields, the poppies blow, between the crosses, row on row," is the opening couplet of the poem, Flanders Fields, familiar to veterans, schoolchildren, their parents and grandparents in Remembrance Day services held across Canada every year. They were penned by McCrae, in 1915, for a Canadian soldier and close friend killed at the Battle of Ypres in the First World War.

Coincidentally, vintage poppycoloured uniforms will be worn by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for this afternoon's game against the B.C. Lions in Guelph, a game which has an historical military theme to it, irrespective of the usual football references to bombs, blitzes, warriors and other inappropriate military analogies.

"What we do on the field, they call it 'war' but, man, it's only a game," said Ticats quarterback Henry Burris. "To honour people who actually put their lives in harm's way for us, for our protection and security, it just goes to show you that it's the ultimate sacrifice."[/b]

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Tica ... z2eDQALeXO

1. /b ↩︎

Amen!

"What we do on the field, they call it 'war' but, man, it's only a game," said Ticats quarterback Henry Burris. "To honour people who actually put their lives in harm's way for us, for our protection and security, it just goes to show you that it's the ultimate sacrifice."

As much as we may get upset and heartsick after a loss or losses, this is a healthy thing to keep in mind. Football players may be athletes, but that's all. The real warriors bled and died on battlefields and in wars for far greater causes.

"It is only a game."

Thank you, Henry, for the perspective.

Yes, it makes you wonder why we never honored heroes like McRae and some of the VC holders/war heroes by naming public buildings, airports after them instead of politicians. It always seems that politicians rush to name an airport or some other public building after "their own" when they die. These politicians did nothing great in their lives except run for office and in some cases did their job, never put their life on the line for their country.

I once asked a politician why a certain airport was named after a shady politician and the answer was oh he was a great man etc he got funding for an airport expansion/modernization. I said "really? it was his own funding? "no of course not it was taxpayers money but he approved it and lobbyed for it." .................lol so I said "wasn't he was just doing his job" ??? Isn't that why we elect you politicians? You rush around to name airports/buildings/parks etc after members of your own party so the other party won't be able to do it!!!

I so totally agree…most politicians are all about self interest and little else…

Why are you bringing politics into this? Lets honour the 43 champs and war heros, and leave political crap out of it.

I served in the Canadian Forces myself. I served in Bosnia and Afghanistan.

Bane THANK YOU!!
Rev.