TIES

I think ties are fine. But the CFL overtime system is complete junk. Its not even all that entertaining...
yep, at least they should have kickoffs, if only from their goalline, or whatever. Special teams are supposedly 1/3 of a CFL game, so they should be included in OT.

I liked the previous OT, with a real mini-game… two-5 minute halfs with kickoffs and everything. I don’t know what was so wrong with that setup? Now, they have gone the U.S. college route, which ignores Special teams.

I would rather see a mini-game in OT rather than a shootout.

Agreed (but read my post above anyways).

Everyone all over the NFL is clamoring for this “possession” overtime system that we see in the NCAA and the AFL, but that sort of game is not football. I don’t like NFL overtime, but it’s 10,000x better than the NCAA.

A few years back, ESPN did a “The Greatest” series to commemorate their 25th anniversary, and their #1 best game was some shit octuple (eight) overtime crapfest between Alabama and someone else.

After 60 minutes, the game was like 27-27.
After the eighth overtime, it was 58-56 (or something like that).

That’s NOT fun to watch because it’s not football.

I wish they'd go back to the two five-minute halves. Play the game normally, with a kickoff to start each half.

I remember an overtime game between Hamilton and Edmonton. Hamilton kicked off to start the first half. Edmonton threw an interception, and Hamilton marched the ball and scored with very little time left. Edmonton kicked off to start the second half, and Hamilton just played possession football for five minutes. Some people complained that this was somehow "unfair", and the overtime system was changed to the current format the following year.

In fact the old system was more fair, because it was an extension of the actual game, rather than some bastardization of it.

You guys do realize that a single game of football is way more taxing on the players than a single game of hockey, right.

They cant play forever.

When two teams play equal for 60 minutes plus, why should one of them end up with nothing. Nothing wrong with ties.

that has got to be one of the STUPIDEST ideas I have ever heard…

what is this, the NHL??? please.

We know it’s stupid, that’s why the rest of us aren’t gracing it with a response.

Didn't they used to have boxing matches go a hundred or so rounds before one guy finished the other off too?

Hey man i remember being the champion of the leg wrestle. Although I don't think us "indians" call it "indian leg wrestle"; just "leg wrestle"

i dont know why the CFL starts teams with such good field position?

One team could drive all the way down to the . . . oh i don't know, let's say 11 yard line, get stuffed, then botch an 18 yard field goal.
From there, their opposing team could kick a field goal on their 1st down next possesion and win the game.(not bitter about the loss, just using an example.)

That just seems to have a very anti-climactic feel to it.

I dont mind the OT format, just needs to have kickoff involved in it. None of this starting on your opponents 45 yard line. (i think its the 45 right?)

ROFL. This is the response I expected :lol:

Proposal for overtime

I still believe that the game should be extended until a victor is determined, but:

1. If teams do play to a tie through regulation, it would be an injustice for one team to not receive any points, so the CFL should adopt a 3 point system (someone else said this already, but whatever...).

2. Starting a drive at the 35-yard line (instant field goal position) is a joke and also eliminates kick-offs, which are an integral part of the game in regulation. Thus, to incorporate special teams into overtime play, while still averting a biased sudden-death overtime (as in the NFL), overtime should:

2a) Begin with a kick-off (from the 35-yard line, as usual). The receiving team would then play until they score, turn the ball over, or decide to punt.

2b) If the receiving team scores, they kick off to the other team. BUT, if there is a turnover or punt, the team now with the ball can choose to either play the ball where they have it OR receive a kick-off. This will accentuate the importance of using special teams to achieve field position, while not unfairly making a team begin a drive inside the 10-yard line when teams should have equal opportunity to score in overtime.

2c) As in the current system (and in baseball), the game cannot end unless both teams have had an equal number of opportunities to score.

I have undoubtably neglected something here, but, at least in my own little world, this seems to be an even-handed way to conduct overtime which also attempts to incorporate special teams play.

or they could just toss a coin to see who wins.

I say there be a dog pile at centre field and the team that comes up with the ball wins.

3 point system is the only way it works for over-times if there are SoL's.

But here is the thing, Ties rarely happen in football. normally 1 overtime game per year.

The NHL needs a 3 point system since they have over-times all the ficken time. lol.
if the CFL switched to the three point system which is:
3 for a reg win
2 for a OT win
1 for a OTL
0 for a reg loss

It basicly scraps the game for both teams, although does stop teams from taking a knee to get into OT, like Ray did in the edmonton game, I like that.

Even though it's hard on players having it so that:
first series teams start on the 35
Second series teams start on the 40
Third Series teams start on the 45

Keep going and keep moving back until the 55... hopefully someone gets a rouge.

The NFL overtime rules are a joke and wouldn't work at all in the CFL. Here's what would happen:

• Team A wins coin toss
  • Team A punts the ball through the endzone
  • Game Over.

Is that really how you want games being decided?

I have to say, in this particular case, the NFL's OT rules are better than ours. At least a team has to drive the field, not start at the other's 35 yd line. Its sudden death, so if the D cant stop the opposing offence, they lose.

REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?! I was totally not aware of that!

How true is that. Exactly right.

And the vast majority of OT games are won by the team that won the coin toss.

I have no problem with our system except that maybe they could start farther back than the 35

I suggested this for the NFL too:

1. Overtime begins where the fourth quarter left off, same team with possession, same position on the field, whatever would have happened if the clock had not run out. Like a 5th quarter inste

2. Sudden-death overtime.

3. 3-point scoring system.

I don't mind the present OT system. If one team can't outscore the other with two cracks at it from the 35, give them each a point. Don't forget the loser in OT doesn't get a point.