Ticats to sign kicker Brett Maher

[b][i]The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are expected to sign former Ottawa Redblacks kicker Brett Maher, according to a CFL source.

Maher was one of four kickers the team brought to its three-day mini-camp in April, a group that included former Alabama kicker Cody Mandell, ex-Saskatchewan Roughriders punter Ray Early and ex-Ticat and Redblack Delbert Alvrado.[/i][/b]

[i]Maher has played 22 games over two seasons with Ottawa, including all 18 games in their inaugural 2014 campaign where he kicked the game-winner in week three to give the new franchise their first-ever CFL win. But a torn labrum in his kicking hip was discovered just before training camp last season, leaving him in need of surgery and six months of rehab. He returned to punt in four games for Ottawa in 2015.

For his career, Maher is 25 of 37 (67.6 per cent) on field goals, going just 3-for-10 on kicks from 40 yards and beyond. He has never connected from beyond the 50, going 0-for-2.

Maher averaged 45.4 per punt in 2014, tied for second in the CFL, while his 38.0 yard net average was third. His 62.2 yard kickoff average was fifth.[/i]

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/05/19/ticats-to-sign-former-redblacks-kicker-brett-maher/]http://3downnation.com/2016/05/19/ticat ... ett-maher/[/url]

i miss Money already sigh.. give me back my Money!!!

Just a camp body. The kid does not sound very reliable at all. He has never made a kick beyond 50 yards. Not a great signing .....

awesome punter though

your Money priced himself right out of Town, only Winnipeg is dumb enough to pay 160k for a kicker yes JUST A KICKER

guess you should have attended the Mini camp were he was hitting from center field zzzzzzz

Kicking is a hugely important component of three-down football. In the CFL, you are kicking in one form or another a lot more frequently than in the NFL, where you have four downs before you're forced to punt, the uprights are at the back of the end zone, and there is no no-yards rule. Whether or not WPG overpaid for Medlock remains to be seen, but I don't blame them in the least for wanting to shore up the kicker position. A good kicker can give you at least 2 extra wins on the year.

Okay, Obviously Austin was not going to pay Medlock the money he would have wanted to re-sign.
So Medlock goes to WPG and replaces Lirum Hajrullahu who had a horrid season in WPG!
The Arblows swoop in and sign Hajrullahu to replace Swayze Waters. :roll:
Wouldn't it be great if Maher kicks the last play winning Field goal at BMO on June 23. :rockin:

if its over 40 yards we are in trouble lol

EE17 I was at the mini camp and no one stood out. Were you at mini camp?

His numbers at Nebraska: 83 per cent on field goals in 47 attempts, 8-for-11 between 40 and 49 yards, 6-for-11 on attempts of 50-plus yards with a long of 54. So the leg strength would appear to be there.
He's got the leg but given almost a full season with Ottawa couldn't reproduce in the professional game.

Hugh O'Neill made 20 of 26 field goals (76.9%) kicking for Edmonton in 2014 and has 35 of 47 (74.5%) overall. Plus decent punting and he's Canadian. Why is he unsigned and they're bringing Maher in?

He was brought into minicamp and impressed enough to get a contract to come to training camp

He did have Hip surgery early last year,

I was in Ottawa for their 2014 opener against the Argos and he kicked that last second FG to win the game for them.
Sounds like he's recovered from that injury, had a great minicamp and they have a lot of confidence in him.

It makes me think that The Beard hasn't recovered from his injury. That could be the reason he remains unsigned by EVERY team...

I'm wondering if Maher is insurance in case "Muddy Waters" doesn't return from the Panthers' camp. I love Medlock but he was asked to do a lot last year. Everyone has commented on his punting but his kickoffs were not deep, either. That could have been the strategy of the special teams or perhaps an accommodation for a weakening leg. When it was field goal time, Medlock was the man. Every time Maher or Waters misses this year. we'll probably be thinking that Medlock would have made that. :wink:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

It would be great to have Medlock as a Tiger-Cat but he's gone now to Winnipeg, obviously the Money in Money was a big factor in letting Medlock go along with maybe a few other factors like punting, kick offs etc. As just a straight FG kicker and converts he's great and in my mind worth the money but we will wait and see how this plays out this season.

I think Austin wants much more out of this offence this year in the way of TD scoring, we certainly have the cabler of players on offence it's just a matter of scoring more TD's and being very productive in the Red Zone and one of the highest scoring teams in the CFL.

If this team can score often in the red zone rather than just settling for field goals and yet still have a pretty accurate kicker on the team like Brett Maher or others we will soon forget about what was and what could have been and just enjoy watching more TD's scored on offence and watching this team win.

GO CATS GO!!!

yes i was

Full agreement with Schmenger.

Under-whelming signing.

We're looking for plugs to fill a hole until Waters becomes available.

Some news on Swayze Waters from this Panthers site

[url=http://m.panthers.com/s/30848/embeddedNewsPath?itemUri=-2115520147/44410127510119312146113213214]http://m.panthers.com/s/30848/embeddedN ... 6113213214[/url]

[b][i]4. KICKING GAME: The next month provides a golden opportunity for Swayze Waters and Michael Palardy, the two punters signed by the Panthers this offseason, to put their best foot forward and prove that - as Gettleman likes to say - the answer is on the roster.

The Panthers signed Waters even before Brad Nortman, Carolina's punter the past four seasons, signed with Jacksonville. Waters' credentials (north of the border at least) are as intriguing as his name. He averaged 47.5 yards per punt over the past three seasons in the Canadian Football League, uncorking at least one 80-yarder each season. Palardy is a little less known but is younger by five-plus years and showed a knack at the University of Tennessee for placing the ball where he wanted it.

The next four weeks could determine whether Carolina is comfortable with its current options or needs to look elsewhere.[/i][/b]

He kicked 6 FG of more than 50 yards over his final 2 seasons as a Cornhusker.
Great punter. Is an interesting prospect for sure.

Medlock also kicked 6 FG of 50 yards or more in his University career over 4 seasons.
I think it was a matter of wrong place wrong time for Justin not sticking in the NFL, but I think Brett Maher has a chance of winning the starting job out of camp.