Ticats Signings Thread

On this day that Rico Murray's decision to retire was announced, there was another retirement, registered on cfl.ca/transactions:

2021-02-18 HAM ELLIS, Jordan RB N Virginia Transfer To Retired

Ellis is young RB, who played at U. Virginia, attended the Bengals' 2019 training camp, and spent some time on their P.R. He signed with the TiCats just under a year ago.

1 Like

Sad to see Rico go. One of my favorites from the Austin era - could play pretty much anywhere in the secondary and at SAM and not look out of place.

Looks like we may go with the youth movement there with all these new dbs.

4 Likes

I echo that. Always liked Murray's game.

3 Likes

Would have loved for Rico to win a GC as a Ticat. Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do next!

1 Like

Rico was our Swiss Army knife DB. He could do it all on defence - other than DL. He will be missed, however he has made the best decision for his family and himself. Whatever he does in life after football I am sure he will be very successful. I wish him the best of luck.

6 Likes

Josh wrote a pretty good article on Rico: How Rico Murray's retirement impacts the Ticats defence - 3DownNation

2 Likes

I think legitimately having only 1 defensive position unfilled in the off-season is a good place to be. As Josh wrote:

"While that might cause some panic among the die hard Ticats faithful, remember that at one time we didn’t know who Rico Murray was and he became one of the team’s most valuable pieces during the 2010s.

Expecting someone new to become the next Rico Murray is foolhardy, but someone knew (sic) will emerge and might end up being just as good as the man whose immense shoes they are trying to fill."

1 Like

We've had some good ones at that position, since it morphed into the highly technical one it is now. Markeith Knowlton, Eric Harris, Rico, Don Unamba, Rico...

3 Likes

cfl.ca/transactions, today, shows another TiCat, who never got to put on a uniform, has decided to retire:

2021-02-24 HAM LEWIS, Josh DB N Eastern Washington Transfer To Retired

This was part of the club's media release when Lewis was signed in December 2019:

Lewis, 23, attended rookie mini-camp with the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks in 2019. Prior to turning pro, he played in 51 games over four seasons at Eastern Washington University (2015-18) after redshirting in 2014. The 6-0, 190-pound native of Lakewood, Washington registered 151 total tackles, 10 interceptions, 33 passes defended, two quarterback sacks, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery overall, and was named to the Big Sky Conference All-Academic team in every year he played for the Eagles.

1 Like

Hopefully it's because he started in a career that he actually studied in college, since it seems like he actually did well in school.

1 Like

Or, maybe he didn't like the odds, being one of 23 DBs the club has signed.

2 Likes

That's a lot. Especially given that the 23 includes 8 or 9 veterans with starting experience, and there are 5 starting spots.

1 Like

cfl.ca/transactions, today, shows another TiCat newcomer signed:

2021-02-25 HAM HARVEY, Nate DL A East Carolina Add To Active Roster

6'1", 225, 24 yrs.

From Wikipedia:

Harvey spent his freshman and sophomore seasons at Georgia Military Junior College and joined East Carolina as a walk-on transfer for his junior and senior seasons.

Harvey played running back for his freshman, sophomore, and junior seasons before switching to defensive end for his senior season.[1]

After recording 14.5 sacks in his senior season, he was named the AAC Defensive Player of the Year.[2]

Harvey was entered the 2019 NFL Draft after being denied a fifth year of eligibility by the NCAA.[3]

After going undrafted in the 2019 NFL Draft, Harvey signed with the New York Giants.[4]

Harvey was placed on injured reserve after suffering a knee injury during mini camp.[5] He was waived on April 8, 2020, with a failed physical designation.[6]

1 Like

I think he would be a good candidate for SAM, he has played linebacker.
Something about him I like.

Too big to play SAM. Usually a spot reserved for defensive backs

Last time I checked the team website they were close to 100 players. Other teams have similar amounts. That’s an insane number for a league that needs to keep costs down. Wonder if teams wil be able to hold some type Of mini- camp/evaluation in the US to whittle down some of the numbers prior to bringing these guys up for a camp.

1 Like

I wouldn't expect someone with no CFL experience to make the starting lineup at SAM. Will most likely be someone who was on a CFL roster, ours or another team, in 2019.

1 Like

Very, very few players have had much of a signing bonus, and nobody else has been paid yet. That's why I laugh at all the angst about teams being over the cap. About fourty of those guys won't even make it to training camp.

Nathaniel Harvey IV (born September 15, 1996) is an American football outside linebacker for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He played college football at East Carolina.

I realize these guys aren’t part of the cap, that’s not the issue. Why sign 20 or 30 extra guys that you can’t pay to travel, feed, screen and test etc. at a training camp. Seems like a bit of a pointless exercise if you’re just going to release them before camp. And how do you determine which guys to cut loose unless there’s some sort of evaluation camp. Just seems odd, I know the NFL works this way but doesn’t make much sense in the CFL.