ticats sign Shaun King for trainingcamp

I know this rumour is in fact almost true.

I have very reliable average information from an unreliable source, that the cats have a Shawn KING signed on the dotted line.

Maasdestruction...

Not all NHL players sign two-way contracts. A veteran player cannot be sent down to the AHL unless he clears waivers.

And as far as talent level goes...

Hands down the NFL has better talent. I still prefer the CFL game.

Hands down the NHL has better talent. Personally I think that AHL hockey is garbage. A bunch of thrid line grinders. Not many Superstar NHL players spend time in the AHL (conditioning stints need not apply).

You've never seen the likes of Joe Thornton, Sidney Crosby, Vincent Lecavalier, etc... spend time in the AHL.

There are a few exceptions though... Jason Spezza and Martin St. Louis come to mind.

Eric Staal doesn't count because he only played there due to a lockout.

From the AHL website:

“In operation since 1936, the AHL continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 83 percent of today’s NHL players are American Hockey League graduates…”

You may be underappreciating the caliber of talent in the AHL. :wink:

Caretaker, I never said that alot of players don't go from the AHL to the NHL. I said that the AHL was made up of a bunch of 3rd line grinders.

83% of NHL players may have played in the AHL... but that number is inflated because of the people who've played 3-4 games in the AHL for conditioning and it's also inflated by the lifetime AHL'ers that play 3-4 games in the NHL.

Believe me...

The AHL's talent level is good (as far as minor leagues go) but most of the guys are fairly young, just out of junior/college and DO NOT have a bright NHL future ahead of them.

Quick...

Look at the last 10 AHL MVP's and then go and see how they've fared in the NHL.

The Past 10 AHL MVP winners

2006-07 - Darren Haydar, Chicago Wolves
2005-06 - Donald MacLean, Grand Rapids Griffins
2004-05 - Jason Spezza, Binghamton Senators*
2003-04 - Jason LaBarbera, Hartford Wolf Pack
2002-03 - Jason Ward, Hamilton Bulldogs
2001-02 - Eric Boguniecki, Worcester IceCats
2000-01 - Derek Armstrong, Hartford Wolf Pack
1999-00 - Martin Brochu, Portland Pirates
1998-99 - Randy Robitaille, Providence Bruins
1997-98 - Steve Guolla, Kentucky Thoroughblades

With the exception of Jason Spezza, who won it during the lockout year and would have been in the NHL rather than the AHL during that season, nobody has made a HUGE splash in the NHL.

And I’m not saying this to bash these players personally… as Jason Ward lived with my family for 2 years while playing in the OHL for Windsor and Plymouth and is still a friend of mine. (sorry Jay incase you ever find this!)

Rusty25,

We are only debating a matter of degree. Of course the AHL is not the NHL. But it is still very good hockey - especially the next two weeks where the two best teams are playing for the championship. One of whom is the Bulldogs playing in Copps!

And 83% of all current NHLers is a huge number, sure some of them may have only played a few games, but that does not explain 83%. It is a -much- bigger percentage than the OHL and the rest of Canadian Junior hockey. And these guys are older and in better condition than Junior hockey.

If I didn’t live in North Carolina I’d be at the Bulldogs games next week. As it is I’m trying to figure out how to re-arrange my schedule to get there. :slight_smile:

i am really excited about this years traing camp when was the last time we have had depth like this at the qb.but to the shaun king subject. i am a fan of shaun king but i don't think he will do much if not anything in the cfl

This is a Totally Different Game ..
The Field is larger 12 men. 3 Downs.

King got Cut from the AFL
with a Smaller Field and 4 downs and Less Men.

He has Steep learning Curve ahead of him

...and he was no screaming success in the NFL either. Tampa won back in those days by its defence, not its offence. My guess is King won't make the team.

Of course NOTHING can be stated with any CERTAINTY until TC ends, BUT - I would be VERY SURPRISED if Shaun King DID NOT earn his way on to the FULL TIME Roster ... atleast as #3 with a LEGITIMATE shot at #2 ...

I remember WATCHING King play in the NCAA and making NOTE that he was a PERFECT fit for the CFL ...

I'm not going to tout him as the next coming or anything ... but provided he is healthy, and in game shape - Shaun King is a PLAYER.

I DON'T CARE what he did in the NFL, or AFL either - you can't take EXPERIENCE AWAY from a man ... and I would say that there are VERY FEW QB's in the ENTIRE CFL with as much EXPERIENCE LEADING a Professional football team as Shaun.

I'm EXCITED at the opportunity to watch an ATHLETE with his resume COMPETE before my very eyes.

Peace.

Yeah, Shaun King may have been released from his AFL team... but we don't know the entire story behind it.

For all we know he went to the AFL and realized that the league was a joke. Hated it and wanted to play REAL football. So he asked to be released. Who knows?

I'm excited to see how he does.

I thought he looked really good yesterday. Right now he looks like the strongest QB.

Okay it was only a press conference.

I feel a bit better now of our quarterback situation!

Reading all the posts on this thread made me laugh my ars off, I've watched him play on T.V. I think he might steel the starters position if not the second string until he gets up to speed with the Canadian game.

Oh, an expert TV watcher.

Well, one thing is for sure, and that is that our GM and coaches have surely made the QB position an open competition!

I think it is a prudent move! Let the best man for the job lead our team!

King is # 12 at Camp..

A good friend of mine lives in Tampa and is a long-time Bucs fan. He remembers Shaun King well from his time there.

He describes King as a "heady " player, a good field leader, says he was very good in TB, and never got enough opportunity to show what he could do (system, coaching, etc). He is very impressed we have him here in Hamilton now, and thinks he'll do well for us.

I think Shaun King will surprise a lot of people this year.

This is my opinion and my opinion only. Obviously I'm not a football genius or else I'd be working in football...

But...

Unless Jason Maas flat out wins the starting job in training camp and I mean STANDS OUT. I'd give the job to Shaun King. Sure he might not know the Canadian game... but he'll learn it. If we get stuck with the same Jason Maas as last year we're going to struggle anyways. At least now we'll have a guy that CAN improve and has potential. If Maas plays like he did last year I'd say it was safe to say that he's never going to get any better.