TiCats sign 3 Nationals

Hamilton Tiger-CatsVerified account ?@Ticats 4m4 minutes ago
The #Ticats have signed three nationals: OL Everton Williams, WR Matt Uren & WR/FB Felix Faubert-Lussier.

[i]The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Wednesday that the football club has signed three national offensive players, including offensive lineman Everton Williams, wide receiver Matt Uren and wide receiver/fullback Felix Faubert-Lussier.

Williams, a 6-5, 297-pound converted offensive lineman spent the last two seasons on Hamilton’s practice roster and has yet to make his CFL debut. The native of Toronto, Ontario, played 27 games over four seasons (2011-14) at the University of Toronto at defensive end. He recorded 64.5 defensive tackles (56 solo, 17 assisted), nine tackles for loss, 4.5 quarterback sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and a blocked kick. Williams was originally signed as a free agent by the Tiger-Cats on April 21, 2015.

Uren, 24, was selected by the Tiger-Cats in the eighth round, 67th overall, in the 2016 CFL Draft and played in one game (his CFL debut) last season on September 24 at Saskatchewan. He played 18 games at Western University from 2011-2015, posting 59 receptions for 800 yards and eight touchdowns. The 5-9, 198-pound native of London, Ontario, tied the OUA/CIS record with four receiving touchdowns in a quarterfinal win over Windsor in 2012, and also won the Dalt White trophy in 2013 as the Yates Cup MVP.

Faubert-Lussier, 24, was selected by Hamilton in the fifth round, 39th overall, in the 2016 CFL Draft. He spent the first-three months of the 2016 season with the Tiger-Cats before being released on August 17 to return to Laval University. The 6-0, 220-pound native of Montreal, Quebec, played 38 games for Laval from 2012 to 2016, posting 129 receptions for 1,823 yards and 17 touchdowns. He won three Vanier Cups in 2012, 2013 and 2016 with the Rouge et Or.[/i]

Drew chimes in on the value of these signings

[url=http://3downnation.com/2017/01/18/ticats-sign-three-canadians-potential/]http://3downnation.com/2017/01/18/ticat ... potential/[/url]

Lussier is a back up kicker, as well as a quality receiver. We used to have a local Canadian kid who did that. I believe his name was Mike Morreale. :smiley: We should be so lucky! :thup:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

Don't you mean Dave Stala?

No, I meant Mike Morreale, the old Cardinal Neuman guy who is the son of an old Cathedral player (Bob). He was the emergency punter but your Stala point is well made. He was a Cathedral player who kicked and punted at St. Marys University in Halifax and was drafted by the Als. There wasn't too much that "Sticky" couldn't do.
Thanks to Displacedcatsfan for the Stala reminder. Both Dave and Mike are good examples of the importance of excellent Canadian talent in the CFL. :smiley:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

I'm old enough to remember a guy named Joe Zuger.

He played quarterback AND punted. And he didn't back-up at either...well maybe later in his career.

Bernie Faloney punted and played quarterback too but we were talking about Canadian players. Joe Zuger was a Db, a quarterback and a punter. He was as tough as nails. He still resides on the West Mountain. Maybe Tony Curcillo had the most interesting curriculum vitae : he was a linebacker who also played quarterback for our Cats. Dave Marler was a true triple threat quarterback who could kick as well as punt.

That Zuger point was excellent and it certainly got some long dormant brain cells clicking again. Thanks for the memory jog. :smiley: :smiley:

Pat Lynch(the old guy who's often dormant but not quite dead)

Forgot about Marler too.

Good one Pat!

Joe Zuger's role as qb and punter gave us a threat that we haven't had since, and few other teams have ever had: the quick kick. On second and long, he'd sometimes drop back into shotgun, take the snap and let go one of his long spiral punts, pinning the other team deep in its zone from anywhere on the field. Or, if they quickly dropped off a db to receive the punt, he'd pass it instead to a receiver left open.

I forgot about Dave Marler. He was with the team only a short time, but was a very talented athlete. Later became head of the Ticats alumni association if I recall correctly.

Good memories.

But...we also had a coach named David Beckman. :cry:

He too, loved the quick kick.

Ah, the memories...