TiCats sign 2012 draftee Michael Atkinson (DT)

Drew Edwards reports the Cats have signed the 20th overall pick Michael Atkinson.

Full story: http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2013/ ... ports.html

The team is loaded with young Canadian DL talent this year. The imports will need to really stand out to make it.

Wow!! That’s a huge signing.

This is a very good signing , although, neither he nor Gascon-Nadon will be available till well after the season starts due to injuries .

From May 2nd: An update on Atkinson and his NFL hopes, rehab.

There was plenty of draft talk surrounding the Boise State University defensive tackle until he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in a Nov. 3 game against San Diego State.

Still rehabbing the injury, the Catholic Central high school product could only sit and watch as the seven-round draft and selection of 254 players passed without his name being called.

“Saturday and Sunday, I was depressed and didn’t want to do anything,? the 23-year-old Atkinson said. “It was such a kick to the face.

“If I never got hurt, I would have gone up there somewhere (in the draft), so it’s a bummer.?

Houston (Texans) and a couple of other teams are interested when my knee is better,? Atkinson said. “I understand it’s a business and they’re not going to sign and pay me for something I can’t do.

“Houston seems like the place I might be going. They keep calling to see how I’m doing and following my progression.?

Despite the injury, Atkinson took part in Boise State’s Pro Day and did 32 reps in the bench press at 225 pounds.

“I was going to run the 40 (yard dash), but the scouts said I didn’t need to,? Atkinson said.

Some surgeries can require up to a year for recovery, but Atkinson is already back running.

“It’s good,? he said. “I’m about five months in (to rehab) and I’m sprinting and doing stuff that I shouldn’t do by five months.

“I’m working two-to-three hours a day. I do everything from working the sandpit, weights, swimming, Jiu Jitsu and running hills.

“The only thing I have to learn now is change of direction. Everything else is 100 per cent, so I’d say 90 per cent (overall).?

[url=http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/05/02/atkinson-rehabs-injury-in-hopes-of-shot-at-nfl/]http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/05/02 ... ot-at-nfl/[/url]

If he has indeed signed with the Cats then he won't be able to take an NFL shot this year.

that depends on whether he wins a future arbitration grievance. :stuck_out_tongue:

Michael Atkinson gets it , he has signed with the Cats and will get paid to rehab and contribute later this year and next , plus he will hone his skills . Once this is done and proves he is a exceptional talent he may be attractive to a NFl team .
Plesius on the other hand is reluctant to do this as cflsteve has pointed out many times. Plesius at 25 years of age thinks he can go from CIS football and catch on to a NFL postion whether it be a practice spot of a roster spot ------- He needs to follow Michael's example and hone his skills and get some experince playing with the pros------- if he is good enough and proves he is an exceptional linebacker the NFL will come calling but I highly doubt this is going to happen considering his age.