Ticats Sign 2 Qb's...

Well I was watching TSN and i just seen on the bottom that the Ticats have signed 2 Qbs, sorry I dont have there names yet but I have never heard of them before lol and theres no link available yet, but just wondering if any1 else has any idea who these 2 guys are and what the point of this move is

Sure it wasn't the two WR's on the main page?

yup it said 2 QBS and it had 2 completely different names thats why im asking because i dont udnerstand the move and ive never heard of these 2 players before..turn on tsn and watch when it comes to the CFL ont he bottom its the 1st thing

K, I'm watching now.

I was just watching TSN and I can tell you that it was not news of the signing of receivers. The names mentioned, while I don’t rememeber what they are, are not the names of Curry and Maeko. It was mentioned that they were quarterbacks as well. But for some reason I have not seen this news reported elsewhere, including the page on CFL transactions.

I’ll see if I can get their names and other information on them.

Just saw it QB Craig Whelihan (?) and K AJ something, can't remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Whelihan

This looks like the QB.

A.J Haglund, who I understand, like Whelihan, was most recently in the Arena League, is the other player, apparently.

And apparently he's a kicker. So it looks like once again, Boreham will have some competition.

Whelihan is old!!!!

Hopefully the experienced veteran kind, rather than the senile kind.

Hmmm. He threw 29 interceptions in his two seasons with the Chargers. Lets hope he's figured all that out by now.
But I wonder why we are looking at a 35 year old Arena Football guy who has never played in the CFL.

Whelihan most certainly is old. He is 35, so don’t ask me why this decision was made.

And as for A.J. Haglund, you can click here for an article on him. He was named AF2’s kicker of the year. But maybe I should look up how he has done in non-arena leagues if I can.

I don't understand the Whelihan move. At all. Haglund at least makes some sense. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they want to do with Whelihan.

SaberCats sign QB Whelihan, K Haglund
Wednesday October 11, 2006

SAN JOSE, Calif. (Oct. 11, 2006) – Veteran Arena Football League quarterback and former NFL draft pick CRAIG WHELIHAN and 2006 arenafootball2 Kicker of the Year A.J. HAGLUND both signed free agent contracts with the two-time ArenaBowl Champion San Jose SaberCats the club announced today.

A local product from San Jose’s Santa Teresa High School, Whelihan (6-5, 220) has been playing in the AFL for the last six years. His finest season came during his 2001 rookie campaign when he threw for 3,004 yards and 60 touchdowns in 12 games with the Orlando Predators.
Advertisement

A member of SaberCats’ Western Division rival Las Vegas Gladiators for the past two seasons, Whelihan has passed for 5,876 yards and 109 touchdowns during his 52-game AFL career.

"Craig is a gamer," said SaberCats’ head coach Darren Arbet. "He knows this game real well and will help solidify the quarterback position for us."

Selected by San Diego in the sixth round (197th overall) of the 1995 NFL Draft out of the University of the Pacific, Whelihan (6-5, 220) played in 20 games making 14 starts for the Chargers over the 1997 and 1998 seasons.

He replaced an injured Stan Humphries and started the final seven games of the 1997 season completing 118-of-237 attempts for 1,357 yards and six touchdowns. In seven starts during the 1998 campaign he threw for 1,803 yards and eight scores.

Haglund (5-8, 175) possesses a strong, accurate leg and will compete with incumbent Brian Schmitz in camp for the SaberCats kicking chores in 2007.

A member of the af2 Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz the last two seasons, Haglund converted 69 straight extra point attempts during a stretch last season and was successful on 116-of-124 PATs on the year for an af2 record 93.5 percent success rate. He added 10 field goals for a league-leading 146 points to earn the league’s New Balance Kicker of the Year award.

A two-time All-Lone Star Conference selection and NCAA Division II second-team All-American following his 2004 senior season at Central Oklahoma, Haglund established school career records for field goals (40) and PATs (139) made while ranking second in points with 259.

A premier franchise in the AFL, San Jose has captured two ArenaBowl titles, six Western Division championships, seven consecutive playoff appearances and owns the league’s best regular season record this decade. Season tickets for the SaberCats 13th season in the AFL, which begins next February, are available now by calling (408) 573-5577

And you can click here for this news. So it looks like somehow, TSN confused the SaberCats with the Tiger-Cats. I’m not sure how that could have happened, as they don’t report AFL player signings.

And now that news appears to make much more sense.

:)

And could someone tell TSN to remove that information from news ticker they have? They are still reporting it as a CFL signing as I’m typing this. :slight_smile:

Good research work BobYoungFan.
Send TSN that link so they can straighten things out.

Thanks, but it was CBlake who deserves credit for finding this out. I just verified it with a link.

And I was thinking of sending TSN a message about this. But I am finding this mistake they made rather amusing. But if you want to send them a message about this, this appears to be the place to click.

Best non-signing by the Cats in recent memory.

An Argo fan

What exactly is a "Sabre-Cat" anyway?

It sounds like they had 2 names they liked and compromised by merging them.

Red24

That would be an odd thing for a team to do. :wink:

[quote="red24"]What exactly is a "Sabre-Cat" anyway?

Their Sabretooth Tigers..

The sabertooth tiger is a giant cat with enormous canines. No sabertooth tiger is alive today; in fact, species of sabertooth tigers have evolved several times in the course of time, so the term really indicates a 'type' of cat, not a particular species.

http://library.thinkquest.org/5481/saber.htm