TiCats sign 1 and release 2

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Thursday that the football club has added international free agent wide receiver Tommy Streeter to the team’s practice roster.

Streeter, 26, spent time with the National Football League’s Miami Dolphins in 2014 and 2015 before being released on September 2. The 6-5, 215-pound native of Miami, Florida suited up in two NFL games during the 2014 season with the Jacksonville Jaguars. He also spent time with the Baltimore Ravens (2012-13), Buffalo Bills (2013) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2013-14). Streeter was originally selected by Baltimore in the sixth round, 198th overall, in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Prior to turning pro, Streeter spent four years (2008-11) at the University of Miami. In 30 games with the Hurricanes, he recorded 52 receptions for 967 yards and nine touchdowns.

The Tiger-Cats also announced Thursday that defensive back Quinton Pointer and defensive tackle Terry Redden have been released.

Here are some goods on Streeter

[url=http://3downnation.com/2016/08/25/ticats-sign-receiver-streeter-release-two/]http://3downnation.com/2016/08/25/ticat ... lease-two/[/url]

"At 6-foot-5, 215 pounds, Streeter has both size and speed, running a 4.4 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. Sources say the Ticats have had him on their negotiation list for more than a year."

"Expect Streeter to push Terrence Toliver and Tiquan Underwood at the boundary receiver position."

Can’t see Tolliver losing his starting job, but definitely can see Watt being replaced by Streeter, and the Cats juggling the ratio at another position to make that happen.

Always nice to see a former player from my NFL team move to my CFL team...it worked out quite well last time with Bryan Hall. Streeter never really got a chance with Baltimore, really not much to go off of in his time in the NFL but he was Jacory Harris's main target in their final season with the Canes. From what I remember people we excited because he was a 6'5 monster who could run like a gazelle, but for whatever reason it never worked out.

I got no issues with our receiving corp right now but never hurts to bring in a giant tree who can run.

Also not surprised about Pointer, man can't say he never got a shot, best of luck to him in the future but I am hoping this means we will see Cassius Vaughn suit up on Sunday.

I'd be surprised if that were the case. Given how frequently the role at Watt's position is merely a "decoy", it's hard to justify squandering an import spot there.

I really don't think Watt is playing that bad. They haven't thrown a lot to him but he has been as dependable as they come when they have. He definitely has been the forgotten man but I just have a funny feeling that Watt is going to show up big when we need him the most and all the fans least expect him to be our hero.

I am probably wrong but sounds romantic at least lol

My earlier comment wasn't a criticism of Watt. My point is that Watt plays a "low traffic" position. Strategically, it's attractive for teams to put a non-import starter in that kind of role because it frees them to use an import at some other position where elite non-imports are difficult to find.

This guy is talented and has speed. If he can transform this to the CFL they'll fined a place for him count on it. Maybe relieve Andy to start or another receiver. :cowboy:

Andy is having, perhaps, the best season of his career. I would leave him out there as much as possible. Besides, Zach has come to use him as a "go to" receiver.

With those credentials, Streeter may end up as another Sinkfield on this team.

Totally agree about Andy and not fixed on just him but more like Speedy going in for Tasker who's one of the best go to receivers in the league I sure wouldn't want Speedy to replace him. More to throw the other teams defense off using unsuspected speed for a play or two, like Sinkfield.

I hear you, Catfish.

I agree. The thing is, even after the other teams' defenses caught on regarding Sinkfield's speed, he was still quite effective.

Let's hope Streeter can do as well ...or better!!!

I apologize, I didn't think you were criticizing Watt just was sort of throwing my two cents in on top of what you said about being the boundary guy. I should have been more clear my bad.

It's a good idea to bring him in and hopefully he catches on. Fantuz is 33 and he may decide not to come back next year and Chad Owens will be 35 next season.

Jim, unless Andy wants to leave the game on top, I think, he will likely try to come back next season. I feel the same for Chad.

Both players have been quite effective this season.

I realize those decisions will largely be affected by Kent Austin.

But, has been the case with Hufnagel as GM over the years, you should ALWAYS try to look down the road. Something Popp and Barker have failed to do. Take the cases of Ricky Ray and Cavillo for example.

Austin may decide to go with a youth movement and build for the future.
I remember the outrage a few years ago when they cut fan favourites Hitchcock and Morreale, both still great players but it was decided that a youth movement was needed.

“Austin may decide to go with a youth movement and build for the future.
I remember the outrage a few years ago when they cut fan favourites Hitchcock and Morreale, both still great players but it was decided that a youth movement was needed.”

I think, that was partially behind the decision to replace Burris.

Two years later and now the old guy has been benched and Zach, meanwhile, has been the undisputed leader of the Tiger cat offense over those same two years.

This is just one of the many reasons why I have total faith in Kent’s personnel wisdom. It helps to have Tillman nearby for his input.

As much as Barker annoys me, he has done a good job of looking down the road. The problem for him is that the injuries to Ray the last few years have given his "future" QBs (Collaros, Harris) a chance to shine in front of the entire league, increasing their leverage at free agent time. The other question is how much credit goes to Milanovich for his ability to get young QBs ready to excel as pros quickly.

As, has been said, the quarterback position is THE most difficult to learn and perform in the sport.

When you have an aging qb, who is spending as much time, or more, on the sidelines as he has playing AND, in the meantime, you've let two very capable backups walk away, who quickly afterward have become successful starters elsewhere, then dare I say, you AREN'T looking down the road. But only planning for the present.

Kent Austin was faced with the dilemma of the aging quarterback (Burris), chose the future instead. In the FIRST YEAR, got to the Grey cup!! With Zach Collaros, as the new leader of our offense, the future of this team has never looked better.

So, it can be done.

Barker's job is to look after the TEAM and not, so much, the player. Blew team fans, though few, are getting more vocal about his team's lacking at this position.

Very glad, he's not making such bad mistakes here.

"The problem for him is that the injuries to Ray the last few years have given his "future" QBs (Collaros, Harris) a chance to shine in front of the entire league, increasing their leverage at free agent time."

But, DURING their time in Toronto, both Collaros and Harris, proved they could be starters. BEFORE they left the blew team, Barker had an opportunity to sign either of them and declare one of them as a starter THERE. After all, he had a better situation, than any other GM in the league, to see what they could do up close. But didn't

Both Ottawa and Hamilton had no problem seeing the future in these two quarterbacks and had the guts to make such a move.

As noted previously, BOTH Collaros and Harris have flourished since leaving Barker's team.

It should not have been a problem for Barker. He just needed a bit of courage and some foresight.

Judging by recent history, he appears to have neither.

Reading a little on Streeter.

He was released by Miami to make room for Thiggy