Ticats Shut out of 2013 All Stars

I heard on TSN this morning that this is the first time in CFL history that a team has made it to the Grey Cup game with no all-stars. As you say, it’s a team game, and our team played very well as a team.

Very nice Stats, FG69,

Using %'s then

Henry Burris started 100% of all 21 games this season, including 2 playoff wins and a Grey Cup berth.
He threw for 4,972 yards in the reg. season plus another 847 yards in playoffs for a total of 5,762 yards.
While sharing his playing time with Lefevour.
All games played outside of Hamilton and even one in Moncton, with all practices across town at Mac
In some of the strangest weather that could happen!

Ricky Ray started 10 of a potential 20 games for a 50% with no playoff wins, many of those games in a temperature and weather controlled dome.

Burris was the better QB this season and Ray is undeserving of the selection!

Thats not to demean Ray in any way, but Burris was just better this year.

Burris loses the statistics battle when compared to Ray due to his much higher interception rate and much lower QB rating. Ray was a standout in those critical categories.
Burris ruined a potential all-star selection with his mediocre play in the last third of the season.

The last 2 Qtrs of the Eastern Final at home in the most important game of his season he completely Shite the bed.
Burris on the other hand stepped up and had one of his best 2nd halves in his career and led his team on the road to an outstanding victory and a berth in the Grey Cup

That is a critical catagory

Ricky Ray is an outstanding QB, but you cannot just cherry pick two stats and ignore the overall accomplishments of Burris this season

Lindy Ruff said it best. "This is a joke! This is the definition of a joke". :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

Firstly, the all-star rosters are based upon the regular season & not playoffs.

Secondly, you can’t say "you cannot cherry pick two stats & ignore the overall … " while cherry picking the second half of the EDF & compare Burris/Ray in that cherry picked time period.

Thirdly, it is the last 7 games that cost Burris both the MOP nomination in the east as well as the Eastern nominee for QB on the all star roster.

Let’s look at the numbers …

Category / First 11 Games / Last 7 Games / % Change
Completions / 23.27 / 16.71 / -28.18%
Comp % / 67.64 / 61.71 / 8.77%
Yards / 326.27 / 190.85 / -41.5%
YPA / 9.42 / 6.87 / -27.05%
TD/Game / 1.81 / .57 / -68.57%
INT/Game / 1 / 1.14 / 14.29%
Rating / 102.81 / 70.65 / -31.28%
TD/INT/Game / .81 / -.57 / -169.84%
TD/INT/Total / +9 / -4 / -144.44%

Those are the numbers.

I myself am torn/undecided when it comes to selecting a player, Ray, who only played in only half the regular season. Was he the better QB in the games he played … Yes … Does he deserve the nominations and such … I lean towards no … I think the line in the sand needs to be playing in at least 2/3’s to 3/4’s of the games.

If you think Burris deserves the nod(s) … then imagine what Darian Durant and his supporters feel!!!

Durant would have been a better choice than Ray.

I wonder, If Burris was chosen over Ray, would the Ray supporters be questioning the pick when he missed half the season and recognizing Burris's accomplishments.
I did not know that playoffs don't count towards whether a player is an all star in the league.
Were the votes cast before playoffs?

The all star selections are based on a player’s individual performance. The Cats got to the Grey Cup
because of team performance.
That’s all that matters to me.

FG69,

You say that Burris's Stats dropped in those 7 Games

Ricky Ray missed 8 games, do you think that just maybe, if Ray had played the full 18 games that his Stats would possibly drop off also.
But that won't count, because he didn't play in those 8 games.

Also Burris would have had way more passing TD's and scores himself if LeFevour didn't come in for many of the red zone plays.
It is what it is, but I think the Man Crush on RR the T.O. media has, swayed this vote to Ray.

What a joke...what kind of voting system leaves off the leading quarterback in the league and chooses the quarterback that got his ass kicked in the eastern final????

A system that only counts the regular season. Not a joke, then.

Maybe to you it’s not a joke but to many of us it is!!!..how many TiCats are on the team again??

Leading the league in interceptions right?

And if you answer that with; “Well that’s because he’s the only QB who played all 18 games!” Then you have to use that fact as well as to why he led the league in passing yards. Which is the only passing stat he led.

Also completions, attempts, and # of 300-yard games.

Completions & attempts are only due to playing more games than any other quarterback.

300 yard games I’ll give you. How many did he have and what percentage of his games played did he throw for +300 yards and how is that in comparison to others? Did he have more because he played more games?

Thus far, no one has presented anything other than the fact that he played all 18 games to justify why he should’ve been the all-star QB for the league. Is that the crux of everyone’s position?

Henry had 9 +300 yard games out of 18 played. 50%.
Ricky had 5 +300 yard games out of 10 played. 50%

Pretty sure it’s the TD/INT ratio that caught most people’s/voter’s attention.

Burris 1.263157895 to 1
Reilly 1.333333333 to 1
Durant 2.583333333 to 1
Ray 10.5 to 1
Lulay 1.727272727 to 1
Glenn 2.571428571 to 1

You are correct. If Ray had played the full 18 games, no doubt they would have reverted to the mean & dropped off.

As far as your argument about LeFevour taking plays away from Henry in the RedZone … I think that just underscores the fact that Henry is not an All-Star QB. Why would Austin pull an “All-Star” QB in favour of a 2nd year player with no professional game experience when they’re in the RedZone? If Henry is an All-Star QB … He should stay in shouldn’t he? I’ve never seen Ricky Ray or Travis Lulay or Anthony Cavillo pulled when they get into the red zone? Goal-line sure … redzone No.

On top of that, if Henry was the All-Star QB that everyone seems to be having a “Man-Crush” or “Love-In” for, why did Austin use Masoli as the primary weapon in the game against MTL to clinch home-field? Why did Austin use both Burris & LeFevour in the EDSF almost equally and then use LeFevour primarily in the OT to win the game?

Everyone talks about “The Drive” that Henry engineered in the EDSF but they fail o recognize that LeFevour played a major part of that as well! 12 plays. 7 Burris. 5 LeFevour. Again, how many times have you seen All-Stars like Ricky Ray or Lulay or Cavillo substituted for in a final drive like that. If it weren’t for a bad pass that Henry threw that CJ Gable picked up off his shoelaces and then got into the endzone on his efforts and a block from Fantuz … We would be talking about the bonehead pass that Henry threw into the ground and lost the game.

By my count … in the playoffs … Henry had 1 good half versus Toronto & half a quarter against Montreal. Half a quarter against Saskatchewan. Add in the crucial home clinching game versus Montreal where he was basically benched.

That’s 3 quarters of Good Henry versus 13 quarters of Bad or benched Hank.

None of that says All-Star to me.

Henry's production did drop off somewhat this year. I think part of the reason was the loss of Chris Williams. The Cats never really replaced him and as a result didn't have a true deep threat. Williams was a real burner who could also draw a lot of coverage away from guys like Fantuz and Ellingson running the underneath routes. I lost count of how many times we were all screaming at Burris to throw the ball already after 4 or 5 seconds in the pocket. But the subsequent TSN replay showed that quite often the receivers had zero separation. Currently we have a decent group of receivers but all with similar attributes. I think in this off-season Austin needs to find another Fred Stamps or Maurice Price type of receiver. This will allow him to use a few more pages out of his playbook and keep the defences guessing.

Solid points. :thup: :thup: :thup:

I can agree with that assessment. Although I still think Henry holds onto the ball too long, doesn’t work through his reads quickly and efficiently enough, often misses the escape valve route, often misses Gable up the seam, focuses in too much on one receiver, often Fantuz, and tries to strong arm it into coverage … What Krisiun says is correct though … a true deep threat would do wonders for Henry.

But Henry will always be the QB that we watch and are screaming … “Throw It! Throw It! Throw It!” He’ll also be the guy that we’re sitting uncomfortably with one hand covering our eyes at crucial moments in the game. He’ll always be the guy that in the back of our mind we’re saying; “Here comes a Burris Pick Six!” or “How’s Henry Gonna Screw This Up This Time?”

Maybe I’m alone in these sentiments, but I’m not confident with the ball in Henry’s hands. And I’m not a “half glass empty” kind of guy normally. But Burris gives me no confidence. Especially at crucial moments. And unfortunately now … at any moment. Burris can bury you in too deep a hole faster than it takes you to realize what happened.

I don’t see Burris making mistakes at crucial moments any more than other top QBs in the league. Glenn was infamous for that and Durant struggled with inopportune interceptions for many years. What I do see Burris doing though is having mental blocks that seem to last for several drives, quarters or even a whole game. However when he does finally get rolling, the offence at times looked like a well oiled machine.

Last year he was criticized for having big stats but not getting the wins. This year he seemed to under-perform at times but we still got the victory which is all that really matters. Burris might make you cringe every once in a while but it sure beats having to suffer like Winnipeg did this year with a series of inexperienced QBs.