Ticats Shut out of 2013 All Stars

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=438184

[b]
The Canadian Football League announced its 2013 All-Stars on Wednesday.

Selected by 50 voters including members of the Football Reporters of Canada and CFL head coaches, the top 27 players were unveiled.

The Calgary Stampeders lead the way with seven All-Stars, including Most Outstanding Player Jon Cornish, receiver Marquay McDaniel, offensive tackle Stanley Bryant, defensive end Charleston Hughes, kicker Rene Paredes, punter Rob Maver and special teams representative Larry Taylor.

Five members of the Grey Cup Champion Saskatchewan Roughriders were named All-Stars including Grey Cup MVP Kory Sheets, wide receiver Weston Dressler, offensive lineman Brendon Labatte, defensive end Alex Hall and safety Tyron Brackenridge.

Other notables include Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray, receivers S.J. Green of the Montreal Alouettes and Fred Stamps of the Edmonton Eskimos and CFL Defensive Player of the Year Chip Cox.[/b]

The full list is as follows:

QUARTERBACK – RICKY RAY

RUNNING BACK – JON CORNISH, KORY SHEETS

RECEIVER – S.J. GREEN, WESTON DRESSLER, MARQUAY McDANIEL, FRED STAMPS

CENTRE – JEFF KEEPING

GUARD – BRENDON LABATTE, CHRIS VAN ZEYL

TACKLE – STANLEY BRYANT, JOVAN OLAFIOYE

DEFENSIVE END – CHARLESTON HUGHES*, ALEX HALL

DEFENSIVE TACKLE – KHALIF MITCHELL, ALMONDO SEWELL

LINEBACKER – ADAM BIGHILL, CHIP COX, HENOC MUAMBA

CORNERBACK – GEOFF TISDALE, PATRICK WATKINS

HALFBACK – JERALD BROWN, RYAN PHILLIPS

SAFETY – TYRON BRACKENRIDGE

PUNTER – ROB MAVER

KICKER – RENE PAREDES

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER – LARRY TAYLOR

So Ricky Bobby still walks on water? He plays 10 games and gets the nod over Burris who played the whole season and led the league in passing yardage?

What a joke. :twisted: :twisted:

Added incentive for next year

Pfft, come on guys. It's not like we won our division and appeared in the Grey Cup or something.

Good god.. no one in the media respects this team even when they achieve something.

8) Well we at least had 2 TiCat cast offs make the team, in Marquay McDaniel and Geoff Tisdale !!! :oops: :roll:

It's tough to complain, really. Other than Burris, and I suppose Beswick on ST, none of our guys led the league in any statistical categories. And the writing was on the wall for Burris when he was left off the Eastern team.

I think this just speaks to the total team effort it took for our guys to succeed this year. There were no superstars, but we beat out some of the superstars, didn't we.

It will also drive home the merits of Austin's coach-of-the-year award. He got the team as far as he did even though apparently we were not the best at a single position.

:thup:

And I don't personally think either one of them should have been all-stars.

Pick Burris' ten best games this year and he still wouldn't beat out Ray.

I agree with the selections as made. Don't like to, but I do.

tweeted from the #Ticats

Hamilton Tiger-Cats ? @Ticats
RT @TicatsPR: #Ticats are the first team in league history to earn a spot in the Grey Cup without a single #CFL All-Star.

Ditto and Double Ditto.
I regret losing Tisdale, but wonder if he's so good, other than the interceptions? Personally I wouldn't take McDaniel over any of our top 3 receivers.

Shows you what a great team effort our young players displayed. :thup:

We played in the big game. How many players would give up an allstar selection to do that?
The selection by coaches and media is bogus at best. The players themselves selected the CFLPa ALL-STAR Team a few weeks back. Means a hell of a lot when your peers select you. Just as Hank!

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/jon-cornish-henry-burris-headline-cflpa-all-star-team-1.2435890]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/j ... -1.2435890[/url]

TCMIK

Burris’s stats over his best ten games (arbitrarily chosen by his highest yardage games rather than highest QB rating but hey came up with this on the fly)

6-4 3625 yards 21 TD vs 9 INT 69.48% completion percentage (255/367)

not exactly a blowout either way.

I personally don't see a real problem with the selections.

McDaniel had a very good season. I'm glad to see him get recognition. If you think Grant deserves his spot, then you also have to consider Nick Moore, Taj Smith, Getzlaf, Durie & Owens for that spot as well. Dressler, Stamps, Green are locks ... the 4th spot is really a toss up. McDaniel has come a long way & fought hard to get back to where he was earlier in his career. Tip of my cap to Marquay.

The only spots that I think are up for debate as far as from a TiCat perspective are Beswick & Wojt. The ST's spot should be 2 as other's have mentioned, 1 returner & 1 cover guy. (This of course in addition to redoing many other parts of the all-star roster ... Ie; not 2 rb's, add a fb/te, designate the LB positions)

Wojt I think was as good as Van Zeyl ... but that's a toss up as well.

Otherwise, I can't honestly say that any of the TiCat players at the other positions had better seasons/campaigns than those selected.

As also, mentioned, I think this is a wonderful statement at how well this team came together, fought through adversity, and played a "team first" 2013 season that was obviously much more successful than anyone predicted.

Not because of all-star seasons by any one individual ... But by coming together as a team.

Austin and his staff should be commended on not only what they produced but how they produced it!

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but it would be hard to leave McDaniel off, given that he was fourth in the league in reception yards, fifth in number of catches, and tied for fourth in TD receptions. Pretty good receiver. Of course, I always thought so when he played for us.

Maver over Bartel…really?

Yes. With 10% more attempts Maver kicked for 15% more total yards for a 4.5% higher gross average & 38% higher net yards & a 25% higher net average. 2 times ST's PoTW.

Maver was the better punter this season & is deserving of the selection.

That's not to demean Bartel in any way. Maver was just better this year.

If the CFL season was 10 games long Ricky Bobby would be the best. Since a season is 18 games how can he be considered the best when he played 55% of the games? In my mind this pick is the biggest joke (and this from someone who is not a Smilin’ lover).