Ticats shut out for player of the week awards - week 10

Lulay headlines Players of the Week

TORONTO -- Travis Lulay, Jerrell Freeman, Chad Owens and Akeem Foster were named the Gibson’s Finest CFL Players of the Week for week 10, the Canadian Football League announced today.

The four players were chosen by a panel of judges including: former Canadian Football League players Matt Dunigan and Duane Forde, now of TSN, and Pierre Vercheval of RDS.

BC quarterback Travis Lulay notches his first Offensive Player of the Week nod, after leading the Lions to a 29-16 win over the Argonauts at Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Lulay registered his fourth 300-yard passing game of the season, connecting on 25-of-36 passes for 309 yards and a touchdown in the process.

The 27-year old was also able to contribute on the ground, capping off a nine-play, 67-yard drive with a five-yard touchdown run in the third quarter.

On the defensive front, Roughriders linebacker Jerrell Freeman is the Defensive Player of the Week, following his standout performance in a 27-7 win over the Blue Bombers at home.

Freeman was all over the field on Sunday, registering one sack, one interception and seven tackles to go along with a forced fumble.

Chad Owens’ strong season continues with the Argonauts. Owens returned four kicks for a total of 245 yards, including a 91-yard return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

In addition to his first return TD of the season, Owens also ran back four punts for 48 yards.

Owens currently leads the league with 1,269 combined return yards in 2011.

Ajax, ONT. native and Lions receiver Akeem Foster is Labour Day weekend’s top Canadian. Foster set career-highs in receptions and receiving yards with eight for 144, breaking the century barrier for the first time of his young career.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/lulay-headlines-players-of-the-week]http://www.cfl.ca/article/lulay-headlin ... f-the-week[/url]

And Williams wins catch of the week!

Nope, they gave that honour to Dressler in the top ten plays of Labour Day Weekend, Williams' catch was #2

The only I really have a problem with is Lulay. First, he was playing the sinking ships, so big deal if he got 300+yards passing. Personally, I would have gone with Richardson, with his 10 catches for 199 yards. (Too bad it was against us. But good thing it was in a losing effort. :slight_smile: )

Owens? No contest. Freeman edged out JJ by one tackle and a pick. And Foster had a great game.

And congrats to CW on his top catch honours. The guy is pretty amazing.

EDIT: I was sure I saw him at #1 spot earlier this week. Oh well.

When the TSN panel handed out games balls for this past weekend's games, of the 4 that were distributed, Hamilton only got one and that was to Jamal Johnson.

Maybe no super duper individual performances, but as a team, the Tiger-Cats played great!

Very true. And that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it. Hard to shut down all receivers and runningbacks when they're all strong, and hard to pick on a weak spot in the defence when there isn't any. And that's the way they looked this week.

(Is it possible to get more than one game ball when your team plays in only one game?)

Re: Players of the week, I noticed that we have a pretty lengthy drought going, with no selections since week 5.

It's hard to argue against any of the selections this week. I thought Cobourne might have had an outside shot, but 102 yards isn't really that exceptional. Glenn's yardage was also kind of low. Hickman looked good, but it sounds like Freeman had an amazing game.

That said, it's hard to imagine that we're behind the Argos on the season, with two POTW selections (Medlock, Stala) to their four (Kackert, Rideau, Prefontaine, Owens). The Argos???
http://www.cfl.ca/page/gibsons-finest-cfl-players-of-the-week-2011

Year-to-date summary:

Team ... Wins ... POTW selections

Win ....... 7 ...... 6
Cal ........ 6 ...... 5
Edm ...... 6 ...... 5
Ham ...... 5 ...... 2
Mtl ........ 5 ...... 8
BC ........ 3 ...... 7
Sask ...... 2 ...... 2
Tor ....... 2 ...... 4

Apparently individual performances do not drive victories.

Hi ExPat:

I guess it is possible. Edmonton got two this time Peach and Koch. Saskatchewan got one and Hamilton one as well.

Individual awards dont win games, I hope this gives the Ticats some extra motivation !!!

agreed TC23. I would much much rather have a great team effort than just one or two individual standouts.

This is an Outrage! :smiley:

Bingo. It's hard to think of any individual standout performance. The win was a team effort. Were there many players on the team who had a bad game? I don't think there were. There were quite a few players who played well, the team wasn't carried by just a few players.

And I would like to say this: I'd rather see this team win and get no "player of the week" honours than to see them lose and have several of its players be named players of the week.

There may not have been many standout plays, but the most important thing is there were no standout mistakes.

Other than the first play of the game.

Ouch, was that ugly!

Big fat rip-off, I am pretty ticked off, but I"m sure the guys will just use this lack of recognition as incentive.

Total team effort for the Cats, that's the main thing agree.