Ticat's Roster questions

1. Who are the candidates to play SAM linebacker?
    Beverette? Tyree Robinson ? Rookie Cross / Jackson Bennett?, Brandon Bryant, Kameron Kelly , Stavros Katsantonis, Ciante Evans,
    Nelson Patrick
  2. Who replaces Delvin Breaux ? Ciante Evans ? Tyree Robinson, Brandon Bryant, Nelson Patrick, Jumal Rolle, Kameron Kelly, Herb Waters, Channing Shribling

I think Rolle will fill in for Breaux. He was the backup when Breaux went down and he did fairly well.

1 Like

I'm choosing this thread to share the results of my homework on the TiCat roster. With it unattended to, for some time, it's become more of a challenge to keep track of who, and how many, players the club has under contract. Nevertheless, here goes ....

The roster on ticats.ca shows 112 names. 17 of which should be removed.
They are 10 released players (Bethune, Byrd, Crump, Ford, Jones, Patterson, Powell, J. Robinson, Waters & Watford) and 7 retired players (Bryant, Dufault, Korol, Lawley, Stephen, Sumpter & Van Pelt). That cuts the 112 total down to 95.

But, then there are the signed players whose names have not, yet, been added to the published roster. There are 9 of them, including 3 Global draftees, who the club announced as signed but never added their names (Izinyon, Mulumba & Whitford). For the other 6, it's understandable that their names haven't, yet, been added since the club has not yet announced their signings, registered with the league over the past couple of weeks (Autry, Bertolet, Cole, A. Davis, Fisher & Yarbrough). So, if all of these 9 names were added, to bring the roster right up to date, the total number of players would be (95 + 9) 104.

4 Likes

Training camp rosters will be 100 this year(up from normal 68 - 75)

3 Likes

Good find, and thanks for posting it , Grover.
I'm guessing the statement "Only 100 players are allowed to participate due to COVID-19 guidelines" means total number of player participants, including those who, in previous years, would have been non-counters. (?)

1 Like

The CFL Transaction page has looked like the stock market report with too much data for this limited dude . Thanks ottawacat for making sense of it all . :slightly_smiling_face:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

1 Like

Wow. Expect some really poor play to start the year. With this size of a roster & no pre-season games, the first several weeks are going to be error-filled.

Rookies aren't going to get a whole lot of chances to show what they can do. Each error could potentially lead to cuts.

Warm up that meme showing Homer Simpson as coach. "You're cut!"

1 Like

This could be the early edge that a veteran team like the Cats will enjoy . Rookie mistakes might make for some wild games with lots of scoring .

Pat Lynch (the old person)

2 Likes

You're 100% right. Teams with guys who have played together a lot prior to this will have a definite advantage. We're certainly one of them.

2 Likes

Pre-season games never really helped, they have always been about evealuating the rookies and backups. Not very often the starting offense and defense gets on the field, the star players usually resting. A team might have their starting offense on the field for a quarter but then the other team has their backups out there on defense or vice versa.
I hope that having no pre-season games becomes permanent, teams can have their own scrimmages to determine their starters. They can start the season earlier with no pre-season games. Go to a 20 games reg season or finish earlier with 18

Wow, there are SO MANY errors with this post it's amazing you actually comprehend professional sports.
There is ZERO replacement for actual in-game experience as a way to evaluate players. You know, in an actual live game situation. This year is abnormal, but I welcome the return to pre-season games net season.

4 Likes

I'm glad you are amazed that I comprehend professional sports.
But the NFL had a succesfull season in 2020, with no pre-season games, saw very few mistakes or injuries. It worked.

I would imagine some rookies would get some plays depending on depth at there position.

Nfl injury rate actually increased in 2020

2 Likes

If nobody's standing out, among the rookies hoping to be the Cats' new LT, might the club be interested in a 2019 Western Conference All-Star at that spot?

(The story is in the print, not the video,. in this link)

1 Like

I read the story. It sounds like he has "buyer's remorse" shortly after agreeing to a new contract. The question would be, to me at least, will he honour that contract with his new team (assuming he is traded), or, will he have "buyer's remorse" with the new team as well.

I see he is 32, so he doesn't have many years ahead of him. Is this part of why he changed his mind on his new contract? He might be a great OL, however I would tread cautiously with this one.

1 Like

Further to Naylor's tweet: Derek Dennis wants the Edmonton Elks to release or trade him: report | 3DownNation
He opted out of playing the 2021 season. I certainly wouldn't spend any trade capital for him, but if the Elks release him (as per the PLAYER'S wish), then I would reach out to his agent to see if the guy actually wants to play football. However, I would put him on a VERY short leash...

2 Likes

No doubt part of why he opted out is due to the players having strict restrictions . Since he signed in Jan 2021 , the CFL/CFLPA return to play documents wasn't submitted until Feb 2021

1 Like

Derek Dennis
Toronto will acquire him in 3 - 2 - 1
Why not?
They have acquired everyone else.

4 Likes