TiCats release Kenton Keith

Didn’t EE just do this to Lumsden?

I wonder how long it will be before someone starts a thread in the Rider section of the forum that the Riders should bring KK back… :roll:

Well, he left Riderville on a high note so guess you can’t really blame people for wanting him back.If it weren’t for his injury/off field issue’s, he’d definitely be a half decent starter.But for the 150k+ we were paying him to sit on his couch, forget it.Gimme Cobb and Calhoun ftw.

No doubt Bettis 5-11 252 was the best of the big backs (230+) of ALL time as also rare big back who could be also fullback and block yet run not just through but fast and agile enough to run around folks for much of his time in the NFL. I was lucky enough to see him play all through college and he was even in one of my classes my freshman year, and go figure saw comparable looming HOF’er Curtis Martin play against us and run over us twice too. What luck to have seen two of the top five NFL running backs of all time!

Here’s most of the list of such backs my football junkie friend and I came up with since 1970 who met this spec and who were at least feature players, meaning at least three seasons of 1000 or more yards, if not also stars or even Hall of Famers. Feel free to add any others close to that spec.

Few others of such size at 230+ since 1970 have merited a high-round draft pick with so many draft busts in backs of that size meant to carry the ball. Otherwise note of course that fullbacks any more are plentiful and seldom merit even a 4th round pick at best.

Jerome Bettis
Franco Harris
John Riggins
Jamal Lewis
Larry Csonka
Deuce McAllister
Duce Staley
Jamal Anderson

The jury is still out on Brandon Jacobs 264 and Michael Turner 244 who are still playing though had not beent drafted in high rounds in view of likely their size as well.

You went to Notre Dame?

Your list is pretty spot on too. I can’t think of any that could be added of the top of my head.

I know he doesn’t come close to your criteria, but “The Nigerian Nightmare” Christian Okoye was a beast. Even as a 49er fan, Okoye was one of my favourite players when I was younger. He had the speed and power that scouts would drool over today. If only he could’ve stayed healthy.

Yes indeed Class of 1994 with BA Economics. :slight_smile:

Yes Okoye doesn't count of course but is actually in the upper part of the very long list of big backs who did not cut it in the NFL since 1970.

Note recently there was a bit of a media-hyped fuss about big back Toby Gerhart being knocked largely because of his race. The media down here love to start up something out of mostly nothing by playing those cards.

I pointed out quickly that despite I wouldn't doubt some prejudice including from one interrogator on the matter who actually asked Gerhart about his race, which should have gotten just as much fuss as the Dez Bryant situation but did not out of also media racism in my view (too many Americans don't understand that a saw cuts both ways in my view as well), the NFL scouts had substantial history on their side regarding failed high-round picks for big backs.

I also offered as a counter the later undrafted Keiland Williams of LSU, now with Washington to try and make the team, of similar size and slightly faster and more agile with less miles on him. If I were an NFL scout, I would rather sign someone like Keiland Williams for far less to take a shot on a bigger back rather than pay a lot more for a guy like Gerhart with a college pedigree who played against highly inferior Pac 10 defences overall against the run compared to the toughest conference of run defences in the NCAA in the SEC.