Ticats Release Five Players

On CHtv sports this evening at 6:15 p.m., Bubba O'Neil reported that the Ticats have released wide receivers Dondre Gilliam and Steve Savoy, offensive lineman Malcolm Woolridge, linebacker Corey Dodds, and defensive back Alex Green.

Well, Greg Marhsall did say that a few players may be released after today's practice. And there do not appear to be any surprises here. Thanks for the update.

I posted this at May 28, 2006 - 06:25 PM

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6065]http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?name=PNp ... pic&t=6065[/url]

Saw that on the news as well. Surprised the team didn't post it here first.

I apologize for not seeing your thread before posting this thread, Onknight. It appears that there was only a one minute difference in the post times of the two threads.

No Problem...

I was really hoping Woodridge would make the team. He had a great work ethic and a really good attitude. I wish him all the best. I guess there were no surprises with the others but I still hate cuts. I liked what I saw of Green too.

Borehamgirl says it all…the cuts are going to be very hard to arrive at, because there is so much talent in every camp with the extiguishing of the Ren’s for the season.

Some good guys are going to be cut, who would have been kept with the Ren’s viable, let alone if there was an expansion draft for a Halifax team.

Still, the Coaches need to cut in this vital couple of weeks, simply to give more reps to those who we need to develop this team’s “core” for 2006…

When the League grows again in 2007 and 2008, we need to believe these “cuts” will still be interested, available, and in shape…

Interesting thing the BoG is faced with, with a salary cap and all, of how to retain the “stock” of such players for such future expansion, if you are going to “grow” the League by 25% (ie two teams), what will the drafting “rules” and “shields” be?

finally we got rid of Dondre Gilliam! all I have to say

I am sure Dondre is grateful that you used minimal words to express your heart-warming farewell to him for the blood and sweat he expended for our team.

Dondre is a great guy, sad to see him go. As for Woolridge? He was from the free agent camp and had an outside chance, his dad talked to us about how much he loved our city and really enjoyed camp here... he was really excited about playing in a Canadian exhibition game. Worst part of the business especially when you meet the human part of the guys.

It's this kind of delightful commentary that keeps me coming back.

To Ron's comment, I couldn't have said it better myself. Think what you want of Gilliam but he played his heart out for us and deserves more respect than these types of comments afford him.

Touchdown- if that's all you have to say, I'm happy too.
If you would provide a critique of Gilliam's play then I'll pay attention to that. He had some holes in technique but he did work hard.
He's the kind you say 'good-bye' too and wish it didn't have to be so. I think this camp is going to experience a lot of this kind of emotion.

he played his ass off, but was never quite good enough to break the starting lineup.

took balls over the middle and took hits that went with them, but just didn't seem to have what it takes to stick fully.

maybe i'm wrong and he just didn't get a fair shake, but that was my impression.

Gilliam had too many dropped passes for my liking. He worked hard on special teams, and always seemed to be one of the first players downfield on a punt, but for the first half of last season he couldn't seem to hang onto the ball. It was frustrating to watch, because he was in the clear on a number of occasions and just couldn't come down with the ball.

Gilliam had too many dropped passes for my liking. He worked hard on special teams, and always seemed to be one of the first players downfield on a punt, but for the first half of last season he couldn't seem to hang onto the ball. It was frustrating to watch, because he was in the clear on a number of occasions and just couldn't come down with the ball.
im sorry it sounded so harsh because im sure he is a great guy and all but just from what I saw of him last year as a football player he couldn't cut it, I couldn't stand all of the dropped passes I saw him make, thats all

Sounds like quite a few guys last year.

Those would be "tipped" balls, Zontar... lol

Gilliam was good on special teams. He was always one of the first guys downfield in coverage. Hopefully someone can step up and take his place.

Just because someone is a great guy does not transmit into being a football player. Putting heart into it doesnt automatically get you a roster spot. Dondre wasnt good enough so he got cut. Get over it people. he played admirably for us last season. not great but you know something? not bad either.