TiCats QB Depth Chart

re-"Williams ended the year as Hamilton’s top quarterback statistically, with a 61.5 percent completion percentage and six touchdown passes compared to just three interceptions."---------- Williams SHOULD be #1 heading into training Camp 2008- The Guy brings his lunch box and Gets the Job done :thup: :rockin:

Except for the small matter of the $400,000 that the Cats are paying Printers.

Should we have hung on to maas then? his numbers were about the same but I dont think anyone wants that again.

My depth chart.

1. Printers
  2. Printers
  3. Printers

I don't even know what to say about this thread.

Ok, I will give it a shot.

1. Casey makes more money.
  2. Casey is the face of the franchise and it's marketing.
  3. Casey had less time learning the playbook and teammates.
  4. Casey has a CFL MVP award.
  5. Casey has a stronger arm.
  6. Casey has quicker feet.

And I'm spent.

• paul

ps. I love "the nog" as much as anyone, but don't drink egg nog + rum and post!

:thup:

If the Ticats actually did listen to me, and I told them to start Casey Printers in 08... something tells me it would get better reviews than starting Richie. IMHO.

Printers will light it up with a full camp under his belt, and experienced OC, a healthy Lumsden, and a tweaked receiving corps and O-Line.

We have a lot of good offensive weapons, and will undoubtedly add more just like Frank Murphy in the near future.

Casey has a booboo on his finger- He is Injury prone because of his throwing style-Ticats should trade him while he still has market value. :cowboy:

Why the $%^# would the Ticats trade a player who they paid a $250,000 signing bonus to? Obviously, Hamilton wanted this guy bad, and they wanted him bad because they know you can't win a Grey Cup without a great QB (which Maas was not).

Printers is another Marcel mistake- Williams proved he should be the Starting qb, thats fact --i dont care what you call me. --- The old club is alive and well but i call it as i see it.

Oy Vey!

I believe Scott Mitchell had just as much to do with recruiting Casey Printers as Marcel Desjardin did. You would have to be an complete buffoon not to try to acquire Casey Printers' services at the time he became available.

Even teams with an established starting quarterback were willing to pay him the amount of money he desired, not to mention a struggling franchise with no top of the line starting quarterback like the Tiger-Cats.

Secondly, are you basing your assessment of Richie Williams on the few starts he got or just on a basis that you aren't a big fan of Mr. Printers? If you are basing it on his performance in a few games then we might as well bring Kevin Eakin back in to the fold as well because he lit the CFL on fire in late 2005 did he not?

All I am saying is there are certain advantages that come with being the backup quarterback, aside from the fact that fans in Hamilton seems to think he is always better than the starter.

One of these advantages is that the opposing teams defensive coordinators don't design a game plan around shutting the backup (Richie) down and tailor it against his skill set like they do with the starter (Casey). And it was not like the coaches could change the playbook at the point of the season when Casey arrived from a completely different league.

Plus there is the matter of not have any expectations or pressure that the starter has to deal with. Also I just thought of a another reason, a lack of film on Richie for teams to use to prepare.

What am I trying to say? There are a lot of different reasons as to why Richie may or may not have performed statistically better than Casey last season. But I am willing to wager a glass of Steeltown's finest lager that if you polled the coaches and personnel people around the CFL 98% of them would choose Casey Printers over Richie Williams as starting quarterback.

Wally Buono would probably be the 2%.

• paul

For now this will be the Depth for
It Willams Can beat Casey out fine.
But that should not happen

Printers 1
Willams 2 (but a Soild 2)
Chang 3
4 Who Ever the Drag off the Street. Maybe Shawn King will come back LOL

re paully- im basing the thread on this article on CFL.ca homepage- NewsNewsroom
Insight & Analysis
Official CFL Blogs
Press Releases
Community
Amateur
LOOKING BACK: HAMILTON TIGER-CATS
JASON HALSTEAD/CFL

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

By Josh Bell-Webster,
Online Editor, CFL.ca

It may have been déjà vu all over again for Hamilton Tiger-Cats faithful in 2007, but at least there were some interesting sidebars worth noting.

Whether is was the heroics of hometown running back Jesse Lumsden early in the season, the consistency of rookie punter/kicker Nick Setta, Nautyn McKay-Loescher’s 11 sacks in his first season in The Hammer, the arrival of former CFL Most Outstanding Player Casey Printers after Labour Day, or newcomer Zeke Moreno’s assault on the club’s record book with a CFL-leading 114 tackles, the 2007 season did have some positive moments.

Unfortunately, those moments were few and far between. While the Ticats went through an off-season makeover in the winter and spring, ridding themselves of salary under the CFL’s new SMS, while at the same time looking to rebuild following the club’s 4-14 record in 2006, the end result was actually worse. The Ticats won just three games in 2007, forcing yet another off-season of change in Steeltown.

Needing a new head coach following the resignation of interim man Ron Lancaster, Ticats general manager Marcel Desjardins named Charlie Taaffe the 19th head coach in club history. Taaffe brought along an impressive résumé to Hamilton. In his two seasons as Montreal Alouettes head coach in 1999 and 2000, Taaffe had a record of 24-12, led the Als to a Grey Cup appearance in his final season and was a two-time CFL Coach of the Year. The Ticats looked to his experience as an offensive coordinator in both the CFL and NCAA to help turn around a stagnant Ticats unit that was at or near the bottom of a number of offensive categories.

When the Tiger-Cats gathered for training camp in June, Taaffe and his coaching staff had a wide selection of quarterbacks to choose from. The incumbent Jason Maas was coming off shoulder surgery following a difficult 2006 season, and wasn’t quite at 100 percent for training camp. The Ticats traded for career back-up Rocky Butler from the Saskatchewan Roughriders, giving him an opportunity to land the starter’s job. Former NFL quarterback Shaun King, along with all-time NCAA passing leader Timmy Chang was also at camp. Third-string pivot Richie Williams also joined the proceedings.

After King was released following a poor showing in the pre-season opener against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, the club went with Maas, Chang and Williams to begin the regular season, leaving Butler on the outside looking in. The decision to release Butler was particularly puzzling given that the Ticats gave up both wide receiver D.J. Flick and offensive lineman Wayne Smith to acquire him in the off-season.

Hamilton is known for their poor starts the past few seasons and 2007 was no different, as the Ticats lost five straight games before their first win, a 43-22 win against the Blue Bombers. Lumsden, who was celebrating his quarter-century birthday, showed why he is one of the game’s bright young stars, scoring touchdowns on 69 and 75 yard runs. He rushed for a total of 211 yards in the game.

Lumsden played in only four games following his breakout performance as he was hampered by shoulder injuries. Not surprisingly, the Ticats did not win again until Week 13, a 24-20 win over the Calgary Stampeders. Defensive end Charlton Keith, a recent signing from the NFL, had a coming out party of his own against Calgary with two quarterback sacks and two fumble recoveries. The Ticats would have to wait until the season finale against the Edmonton Eskimos to win their third contest.

The quarterback position continued to be a central theme throughout the 2007 season. The Ticats started Maas in their first eight games, with Chang relieving him on occasion. But Taaffe decided it was time for a change in back-to-back games against the Toronto Argonauts, and started Chang in the Labour Day Classic. The Hawaii didn’t fare as well as Taaffe would have liked, completing just 33 percent of his passes before giving way to Maas.

Chang was given a bonus opportunity against the Boatmen the following Saturday after the Ticats dealt Maas to Montreal following the Printers signing. Chang continued to struggle, and gave way to Williams who completed 9 of 10 passes and two touchdowns in a 35-22 loss in Toronto. The third-string quarterback rapidly progressed up the depth chart, earning his first start in Week 14 against the Blue Bombers. Williams ended the year as Hamilton’s top quarterback statistically, with a 61.5 percent completion percentage and six touchdown passes compared to just three interceptions.

As for Printers, the 2004 CFL Outstanding Player was hampered by injuries while trying to learn a new system on the fly with unfamiliar teammates. While the clearing of SMS space during the off-season allowed the Ticats to sign the much-coveted player following his stint with the NFL’s Kansas City Chiefs, it was a signing that wasn’t about to pay immediate dividends.

While Hamilton was suffering through another dismal campaign, there were former Ticats who were excelling in different surroundings, including Flick, who was the CFL co-leader in touchdown receptions with 10 to go along with 1,020 receiving yards, Kamau Peterson who had 1,068 receiving yards and seven TDs, and Jason Goss, who returned two of his five interceptions for majors. Even Corey Holmes, who was traded back to Saskatchewan in exchange for wide receiver Jason Armstead in August, ended the season fourth in the CFL in combined yards. Hamilton’s leading receiver, Brock Ralph, had just 721 receiving yards in an injury-plagued season, while four players led the team with two interceptions each. The Ticats ranked at or near the bottom in a number of offensive and defensive categories.

Ultimately, Desjardins was the fall guy for Hamilton’s woes in 2007, as he was relieved of his duties prior to the season finale. Team president Scott Mitchell has turned to former B.C. Lions director of player personnel Bob O'Billovich to restore the glory in Steeltown. Obie’s first move as the club’s general manger was to retain Taaffe as head coach going forward.

O'Billovich has a lot of work cut out for him as he rebuilds the Tiger-Cats. The history of the CFL is dotted with teams that have showed amazing progression from one season to the next. The Ticats faithful are hoping 2008 is one of those years.

Standings: Tiger-Cats -- 3-15 (4th place, East Division).

Tiger-Cats Leaders: Offence -- Jason Maas*, 1,749 passing yards and 7 passing TDs; Jesse Lumsden, 743 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs; Brock Ralph, 50

receptions, 721 receiving yards and 3 receiving TDs. Defence -- Nautyn McKay-Loescher, 11 sacks; Jykine Bradley, Lawrence Gordon, Zeke Moreno and Tony Tiller, 2 INTs.

Tiger-Cats Team Rank: Passing Offence -- 213.4 yards per game (8th in CFL); Rushing Offence -- 121.1 ypg (2nd); Total Offence -- 311.4 ypg (7th). Passing

Defence -- 305.4 ypg (8th); Rushing Defence -- 107.4 ypg (5th); Total Defence -- 394 ypg (8th).

Road/Home Records: Tiger-Cats -- 0-9 on the road. Tiger-Cats -- 3-6 at home.

*No longer with team.

IMo Williams showed signs of Competence in 2006 and showed he could do better with the team he had . over every other Qb the Ticats had in 2007. He won me over. And Printers hasnt done anything since 2004.no trolling , just talking football - :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok? Did I miss something?

So I didn't read where it said Casey Printers was another Marcel mistake or about how Casey is injury prone or about why the team should trade him or where it says Richie is being given a shot to win the starting job.

Yes, we have different opinions on this subject matter. I am just trying to explain to you that you are in a very small minority with your opinion, and that there are very, very many different reasons as to why Richie had a higher quarterback rating than Casey.

Merry Christmas Mr. Josh Bell-Webster!

;)
  • paul

I love this post.. it's a common theme

(Enter Player Name Here) has a booboo on his (Enter Body Part Here), He is injury prone, we better trade (Enter Player's Name Here) while he still has market value and get (Enter Superstar's Name Here) back in the deal.

There now everyone can just copy and paste when we get a player who is injured and need trading!

Not happening, Chang is cut in camp or traded for a 6th round pick at the most. The guy is horrible, my grandmother is better than him. Anyone on this forum is better than him. But i do like Williams, and could see him starting somewhere someday, just not in front of Printers. He might be a good guy to hold on to in case Casey leaves when his contract is up.

Rookie CFL quarterbacks are like young wine,
never good before their time, sportsfans.

Unfortunately Jason Maas, our old wine, was so far
past his prime he had begun turning into vinegar.

Charlie reluctantly disregarded the advice
of Paul Masson himself and Orson Welles

and sold the Labour Day Crowd a young wine
not fully aged [experienced] or ready

proving again the truth of a saying
that Orson Welles says here.

P.S.

Timmy Chang was given a stress-free
remainder of the year to recover from
that backward step in his progress.

Timmy Chang will have his confident
in Training Camp and perform well,
my cheeky little monkeys :lol: :rockin:

Remember: 'Sell no wine before it's time.'

Yes Ron, Johnny Carson used to quip that Orson Welles never ate a cow before its time, too. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

I loved the Keith Olbermann reference to Citizen Kane when going through the Bills-Browns blizzard game highlights last Sunday on Football night in America: "Rosebud!" LMAO Indeed!

Regarding the "Send Timmy Chang Out On A Rail Committee," it's too soon to simply consign a young QB onto the slag heap. Obviously Obie, Charlie, and Marcel will most likely want to see him in camp competing against whoever is brought in to compete for a QB slot.

If Obie wants to deal him beforehand, so be it. That being said, the idea of trading a third-string QB as a reflex action to him being torched by an experienced Toronto defence given the state of the offensive unit as a whole at that point (without Lumsden BTW) is a bit much.

Williams came into the Labour Day rematch situation and showed a whack of promise he had not shown to that point. The gestation period for backup QBs can vary before they either emerge or are shown to be without hope. If one relied on the first two starts of most backup QBs as a barometer of suitability, most stars at pivot who came out of the shadow of a starter today would have been cut outright. Period.

Part of the fun of developing quarterbacks is, well, letting them DEVELOP. :wink:

Time will tell with Timmy. If a better guy comes in and wins that spot, more power to him.

Oski Wee Wee,