Ticats going forward

Hmm ? This reminds me alot of the LEAFS ...They show signs that they can play well and then have a few good games and everyone thinks they are on their way and then they hit a wall and play bad for long periods of times .

Good teams are consistent and most teams can have a good game here and there . For many reasons this is not a very good team :

1. One of the biggest reasons is the HEAD COACH ..He seems not to be a players coach and he has made so many poor decisions in games with the recent 3rd down and one field goal and the many challenge flags not thrown .

I think players do not want to play for him and the team overall seems very ill prepared and also come out if the 2knd half outsmarted after the other teams adjustments .

1. Burris is no longer the man he was before . He is too inconsistent and throws the ball in danger areas too often ( double coverage )

2. We don't have a go to running back . Avon has looked good and we should use Chevon and Avon together but neither one of them alone is a complete running back like the guy we saw this week in Simpson .

3. Fantuz and Giguere not used enough and not used properly . These tow guys should have many more plays runs for them especially Fantuz ...

4. We have very little pass rush. This has improved a bit with Peguesse but we need B. Davis in there too .

5. Not having Knowlton in there ..He is difference maker . causes fumbles , stips balls , gets inteceptins ...he was defensive player of the year

7 Rey Williams is always getting faked out and leaving a hole in the middle .

8 The overall defensive backfield is average at best ..... we need at least one shut down db that can get some stops

9 The team lacks the preparation and sense of urgency and fight . The two Argo games were huge for us fans to help us get to the grey cup this year but obviously not so huge to the organization and players .

10 the Winnipeg games was HUGE for us to get into the playoffs but obviously not so huge to the organization and players

11 . I think it comes down to Bob Young expecting more ...He spent good money on OBIE AND MITCHELL and WOMAK and then they spent big bucks on CORTEZ and BURRIS and FANTUZ and none of these guys are being held accountable .
Last game Henry Burris was throwing behind guys and into double coverage . Did anyone see the floater he threw to Williams where williams got corked . He also threw a real low ball to Bkari that would have been a good gain.

If we want to get better we need to raise our expectation level and figure out how to develop a quarterback as i can't recall the last time we have developed a QB ..Maybe Kerrigan ? We have Cortez and MCMANNUS in here we should be able to develop a QB .

I blame the overall teams lack of preperation and play calling and will to win and determination in the winnipeg game .

Chris Shultz said at halftime that the team that wants it the most will win and well you saw what happened .

Burris was visibly terrible as was Rey Williams .

I have not even mentioned the penalties which I think falls on the coaching as we know disciplined teams and well coached teams don't get like 14 penalties ..a few facemasks, roughing the passers , offsides . too many men ..you name it

the sad part of all of this is that we signed CORTEZ to this huge deal and he is the biggest problem ...

What to do ?

Hmm ?

NFL CUTS :

BRING IN a bunch of guys that can play :

Middle linebacker
Corner back
Quarterback
DLINE - PASS RUSH
Running Back

and start building for next year
Start grooming a CFL STYLE QB
We can try MARTELL MALLET next year
our receivers are fine
our outside linebackers are excellent
Draft a lineman with our first pick DLINE OR OLINE
Get that Laval linebacker we drafted OUT OF LAVAL Frédéric Plesius in here along with the olineman PETRUS
AND Carson Rockhill to fight for jobs

If I was Hamilton , I would play Porter and LeFevour the rest of the way to see what we have and bring in some NFL CUTS at QB .....as Burris is old and inconsistent and he has shown he is on the downward slide ..we know to get on the upward slide .
So release Burris , Cobourne and Rey Williams

And let the young guys and NFL cuts come in a fight for those jobs
we can let Alex Joseph / Kanya try MLB until we get some guys in here
We can play Chevon and Rutley and hopefully Grant to see what they have
I like Cobourne but we have to build this team for the future like Calgary did letting go of Burris and Reynolds

Some really good pts here. I love the idea of letting porter and lefevour play the rest and get rid of henry. I have a feeling LeFevour is going to be the next lulay. But I would love porter to get a good shot at it first few games to see if he can het it going.

I agree..i think Porter deserves one more LONG look ..he knows the offence and the has good receivers ...
Last week's game against WPG and the 2 losses to the Argos earns a bench seat for Burris and Rey Williams in my mind .

Gerbear9, I'm glad your not the coach. You make some good points but then you also have some controversial opinions about roster positions. The same as Cortez. So in the end we would be no different and you would be shredded in this forum. :lol:

LeFevour is what who you have to go with. We know what Porter can do. He hasn't progressed the way a real starting Qb should progress in his formative years.

If/when the season becomes a write off, you start Dan and let him take the reigns. If he shows something, you dump Burris in the offseason, keep Porter as the back up and you left Dan work his way through our gypsy season next year in hopes that there is significant improvement with him for the 2014 season where I think managment is hoping for a winning season to bring in IWS2.

Williams should be cut. Always in chase mode, never steps up and fills the gap during the runs.

Hi Krisiun ,

I agree with your points but do you not agree that something is seriously wrong with this team and their drive and preparation ?

I think we need to expect more raise the bar or things won't change ....

It is very demoralizing for a team stacked with talent to mail in the critical argo games and then not show up for the winnipeg game that would have helped them to make the playoffs

Something is very Wrong ..I have not seen previous ticats teams not fight to the finish against the argos ..this team did not fight for their lives ..they either don't care enough or there are serious issues with coaching and the relationships of players with eachother and with coaching

No way. I'm getting tired reading this. The guy has a lot of heart and plays really hard. He's also a hard hitter and has a great work ethic. I don't see him out there schluffing it off.

The problem with Williams is that he isn't in the right position. He's not a "stuff the middle up" type of player like Otis Floyd was and he doesn't read or anticipate as well as a MLB should. But the man still has some very admirable skills and qualities. He would be better suited as an outside linebacker where he can use his speed and tenacity to PURSUE. Therefore he would most likely perform better under a Greg Marshall defense much like how Knowlton did. But currently there's nobody on the coaching staff to recognize the strengths of our players so we will continue to spin our wheels.

i agree that Rey would be better suited as an outside linebacker but we have Jamal in that role ..
We need a run stuffer in the middle much like the guy on winnipeg # 5 last week
I agree Williams is fast , strong and a beast but not good senses in the middle as isolate him when looking at replays and he gets fooled everytime by a pulling guard or whatever play they choose to get him out of the middle and he over reacts and then can't get back to the middle .
I am all for keeping Rey but we need a new MLB

Then why is he playing middle linebacker? We need an Otis Floyd type player.

So he plays hard, that doesn't mean he's a great player. I can't recall any big hits he has laid on anybody. I just see tackles from behind in chase mode.

He can't play outside lineback as he's not fast enough.

Honestly, Williams isn't a good enough player in my opinion. My opinion means nothing but like I said above, always in chase position, doesn't fill the gaps. The middle linebacker is responsible for anything that comes up the middle on the run, over the middle on the pass and an eye on the QB. He doesn't do this particularly well.

This right here. I believe that most of the fans and media have not warmed up to Cortez at all. From his mannerisms during interviews, to questionable roster choices and downright poor decision making during games. Now if the fans and media recognize these problems then the players sure as hell do also. Cobourne freaking out on the sidelines and having to be restrained by other players after Cortez decides not to go for it on 3rd and 1 paints a very good picture about what’s going on. We can have a continual revolving door of new players. But if the players don’t like their coach then they aren’t going to play for him.

Alan,

I don't think we're going to agree on this one. Playing hard will always beat out some highly skilled but lackadaisical athlete. As for his speed he seems to cover a lot of ground in a hurry. The guy never gives up and keeps the motor rolling. That's why he makes the tackles from behind in pursuit mode.

Like I said, a decent coach would recognize his skill set and unleash the beast. Then we wouldn't even need to have this discussion.

[quote="gerbear9"]

1. One of the biggest reasons is the HEAD COACH ..He seems not to be a players coach and he has made so many poor decisions in games with the recent 3rd down and one field goal and the many challenge flags not thrown .

My response to this point is...the last few seasons many (myself included) felt Macel B was not harsh enough on his players. He was a players coach alwsys clapping his hands even when someone took a stupid penalty. So what's it to be??

I think players do not want to play for him and the team overall seems very ill prepared and also come out if the 2knd half outsmarted after the other teams adjustments .

And this was also a complaint many had from previous seasons and the previous coaching staff ...failing to make proper half time adjustments

1. Burris is no longer the man he was before . He is too inconsistent and throws the ball in danger areas too often ( double coverage )

Again...similar arguments about Kevin Glenn...too inconsistent and like running water...sometimes hot...sometimes cold

1. We don't have a go to running back . Avon has looked good and we should use Chevon and Avon together but neither one of them alone is a complete running back like the guy we saw this week in Simpson .

The only caution I have here is....Simpson looked like the consummate RB only because he's played the Ticat defefnse twice. Let's face it...the Ticat defense for the most part has made many an opposition look invincible

1. Fantuz and Giguere not used enough and not used properly . These tow guys should have many more plays runs for them especially Fantuz ...

Meh! Personally I'm in the camp that Stala is the under utilized receiver, but yes...we need to get Fantuz more passes. But when you have the receiving corps that the Cats have...someone will be left wanting more passes.

1. We have very little pass rush. This has improved a bit with Peguesse but we need B. Davis in there too .

100% agreed

1. Not having Knowlton in there ..He is difference maker . causes fumbles , stips balls , gets inteceptins ...he was defensive player of the year

Very possible. It sure would be nice to get him back in the line up. he certainly couldn't do any worse

7 Rey Williams is always getting faked out and leaving a hole in the middle .

Not sure on this one. I like the guy...he does seem to be one of the team leaders and someone we need in the locker room. Veteran presence

8 The overall defensive backfield is average at best ..... we need at least one shut down db that can get some stops

100% agreed. What happened to that agressive defense we were supposed to have..making plays on the ball rather than playing off and watching the receiver make the 8 to 10 yard catch before trying to arm tackle

9 The team lacks the preparation and sense of urgency and fight . The two Argo games were huge for us fans to help us get to the grey cup this year but obviously not so huge to the organization and players .

I have to admit that my memory is fading but I thought we had some of these issues in previous seasons. They seem to play down to the lesser teams, consistently failing to deliver a killer blow to weaker teams. it's gotten to the point that we are all wondering...is there a weaker team than the Ticats. I don't know any more.

10 the Winnipeg games was HUGE for us to get into the playoffs but obviously not so huge to the organization and players

See #9

11 . I think it comes down to Bob Young expecting more ...He spent good money on OBIE AND MITCHELL and WOMAK and then they spent big bucks on CORTEZ and BURRIS and FANTUZ and none of these guys are being held accountable .
Last game Henry Burris was throwing behind guys and into double coverage . Did anyone see the floater he threw to Williams where williams got corked . He also threw a real low ball to Bkari that would have been a good gain.

If we want to get better we need to raise our expectation level and figure out how to develop a quarterback as i can't recall the last time we have developed a QB ..Maybe Kerrigan ? We have Cortez and MCMANNUS in here we should be able to develop a QB .

I wouldn't rush oout to throw Burris under the bus. But we need to use him when he's hot, and use either back up when Burris is cold. And we need to have Burris mentor the back ups. In order to dvelop our own QB, we need a veteran QB to help achieve that.

What to do?

Well...and this is just my own opinion...but I'm tired of blowing up teams every year or two. As much as this teams really sucks this year..I'm inclined to let it play out. If they start to gel...great. If not...then make some tweaks come the off season..in that...D line and O line must be the priority. If your team has no pass rush, your DB's will suffer. If your O line can't give your QB time or open holes for your own run game...your total offense suffers. Everyone's heard it...the game is won and lost in the trenches.

Why would SSK let him go then? He was a starting MLB there and never really impressed me there either.

I am not questions his drive or giving up it's just that I never see him in the right position, regardless of scheme, your MLB needs instincts to be in positions to make plays. Why is he always making plays from behind? He is caught out of position/in the wrong spot and has to chase the guy with the ball down.

Rey is a good player. Not a great player. In hamilton we settle for good players and make them out to be great. I'll be honest, I do this all the time. This is because we are supposed to believe that every player is great and that when he is just okay, there is always a reason for him to be okay. I am tired of accepting this. I don't want good players, I want great players. If a guy is not good enough, get rid of him. In the CFL you need a great linebacker. Look at JC Sherrit and Adam Bighill. I would take both of those guys in a heartbeat. Would anyone take Rey Williams if we released him? I'm not so sure about that.

Williams didn't come from Saskatchewan, he came from Pittsburgh. He played in Saskatchewan, but went to the NFL for a year and was a free agent when he returned and signed with the Cats. Also, you mentioned Otis Floyd earlier, and I am as big an Otis Floyd fan as you will find, but BC released him in 2009 and he signed here, so you could ask yourself why would BC get let him go.

Ok, I didn't know the back story with Rey. Maybe SSK offered him a contract but I don't know.

Why did BC let Otis go? Getting older and they had younger guys that they wanted to try.

Otis was here for 2 years. He was really slow the second year but he was honestly better than Rey Williams the last 2 years. Otis was a veteran, a leader, a force and a run stuffer.

Would BC have released Otis if he were 29? Probably not.

Same reason as why we have Burris right? They have a younger guy.

As for Rey, we can agree to disagree but I compare him to Otis and it's not even close. Otis is way better than Rey. Rey is an okay linebacker. I think JJ and even Brock Campbell have a bigger impact on the game than Rey. That's unfortunate because the MLB is the one position that needs the game changer. (see Bighill, Sherrit, Ray Lewis, etc)

I agree.
There was talk, early on in the season, by a reporter? - that Cortez & Creehan were not getting along.
Then Creehan had to defend himself by saying that Cortez is the BOSS, and all is well.
Well - not all is well.. all is crap, & that reporter may have been on to something after all.
Now, with Cobourne blasting the coach, the problem looks to be deeper.
As a final thought - why is this thread called: 'Ticats going forward'? Shouldn't it be: 'Ticats going backwards' ?
As Tiger Williams used to say: This Team is done like turkey.
I don't anticipate another win this season, so, it's back to next year once more.
How I wish for the 9-9 season, once more....

:thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

If I recall, it was an agent out of Montreal that said there was dissention (disension sp???...differences of opinion) in the locker room between Cortez and Creehan. And over the last 4 or 5 games...I kept thinking back to that comment and wondering. Maybe he was onto something..and the old adage...where there's smoke?????